Mufutau, a resident of Ikotun area of Lagos, is being tried for obtaining money under false pretences and stealing.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Godwin Awase, told the court that the accused committed the offences in October at Egbeda, Lagos.
He said that the accused obtained N1m from three accommodation seekers on the pretext of letting out apartments to them.
“He collected N300,000 from Mr Temidayo Babarinde on the pretext of letting out two-bedroom flat in Oguntade Street, Shasha.
“The accused obtained N200,000 from Mr Peter Okosun for a three-bedroom apartment in Egbeda.
“Mufatau collected N500,000 from Mr Chigozie Frank to let out a three-bedroom apartment at No. 17, Gabriel Babalola St., Egbeda, Lagos to him,” Awase said.
The prosecutor said that the complainants paid the money into the bank account of the accused after they had inspected the said apartments.
“After the accused took the complainants to the houses, he asked them to pay the amounts into his account which they did.
“When the complainants went to the houses after payment, the landlords told them that they did not give the accused their property to manage for them,” he said.
He said when the first complainant went to Egbeda Police Station to report the fraud, he met the second and third complainants who also came for the same complaint about the accused.
“The complainants reported the case to the police and efforts made by them to retrieve their money or have their accommodation proved unsuccessful as the accused has been on the run.
“He was later arrested and handed over to the police,” he said.
Awese said the offences contravened Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015(Revised).
Section 314 prescribes 15 years jail term for obtaining money under false pretences.
The accused pleaded innocence of the offences and was granted bail in the sum of N500,000 with two sureties in like sum.
The Magistrate, Mr J. A. Adigun, said that the sureties should be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The case was adjourned until Dec. 28, for mention.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants