Mufutau, a resident of Ikotun area of Lagos, is being tried for obtaining money under false pretences and stealing.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Godwin Awase, told the court that the accused committed the offences in October at Egbeda, Lagos.
He said that the accused obtained N1m from three accommodation seekers on the pretext of letting out apartments to them.
“He collected N300,000 from Mr Temidayo Babarinde on the pretext of letting out two-bedroom flat in Oguntade Street, Shasha.
“The accused obtained N200,000 from Mr Peter Okosun for a three-bedroom apartment in Egbeda.
“Mufatau collected N500,000 from Mr Chigozie Frank to let out a three-bedroom apartment at No. 17, Gabriel Babalola St., Egbeda, Lagos to him,” Awase said.
The prosecutor said that the complainants paid the money into the bank account of the accused after they had inspected the said apartments.
“After the accused took the complainants to the houses, he asked them to pay the amounts into his account which they did.
“When the complainants went to the houses after payment, the landlords told them that they did not give the accused their property to manage for them,” he said.
He said when the first complainant went to Egbeda Police Station to report the fraud, he met the second and third complainants who also came for the same complaint about the accused.
“The complainants reported the case to the police and efforts made by them to retrieve their money or have their accommodation proved unsuccessful as the accused has been on the run.
“He was later arrested and handed over to the police,” he said.
Awese said the offences contravened Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015(Revised).
Section 314 prescribes 15 years jail term for obtaining money under false pretences.
The accused pleaded innocence of the offences and was granted bail in the sum of N500,000 with two sureties in like sum.
The Magistrate, Mr J. A. Adigun, said that the sureties should be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The case was adjourned until Dec. 28, for mention.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution
- PHOTOS: Bayelsa International Airport Almost Ready
- Corporate Keke Driver Customizes His Keke With Cups Of Sweets For Passengers
- US-based Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By His Lover's Ex
- Nigeria Police To Be Decentralized
- Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Pregnant Wife Over N1000
- Young Robbers Terrorizing Delta Nabbed By Security Operatives
- Photo Of Saraki and His Beautiful Daughters
- Meet Nigeria's Strongest Man As He Shares Secret Of His Success
- Lady Makes Shocking Revelations: My abductors butchered people for rituals
- Many Sleeping At INEC Office In Lagos Just To Get PVC
- Ayefele fans, workers protest planned demolition of radio station
- Faces Of Suspected Homos*xuals Arrested In Hotel Room
- Deadlock In National Assembly Over N189bn Budget For INEC
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Best Destinations For Your First International Trip
- Woman Lies In The Middle Of The Road To Protest Non-Payment Of 13 Months Salary
- Bank Staff Arrested For Fraud On His Wedding Day In Lagos
- Married Woman Committing Adultery Dies After S*x
- Yinka Ayefele Sues Oyo Government Over Building Demolition
- Akpabio Runs To Court, Stops Saraki From Declaring Seat Vacant
- Little Man Rocks NYSC Kit In Style
- New Minimum Wage: We Weren't Elected Just To Pay Salaries - Governors
- Protest At Police Headquarters Abuja Over Detention of Premium Times Journalist
- Soldiers Kill Notorious Bandit, Sani Danbuzuwa During Shoot Out
- Security vote: Governors challenge Buhari, EFCC
- Here is how much FG recovered from whistle blowers
- Philipp Lahm heads Germany bid to host Euro 2024 tournament
- Omeruo signs one year loan deal
- Ogu trains in Cyprus ahead of make-or-break match
- FCT FA Commences U-13 Football Talent Hunt
- Club Brugge turns down Osimhen after trials
- Abia Warriors crush Manga FA 4-0
- France 2018: Falconets ready to battle for semi final ticket
- 120 students participate In 3rd edition Nimrod North West Holiday Volleyball Clinic
- Female Student Wounds Friend For Advise Her To Quit Smoking
- WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?
- Lawmakers defect in Ogun
- 2019: Al-Mustapha formally shows interest in presidential race
- LCCI tackles FIRS over new tax provision