Mufutau, a resident of Ikotun area of Lagos, is being tried for obtaining money under false pretences and stealing.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Godwin Awase, told the court that the accused committed the offences in October at Egbeda, Lagos.
He said that the accused obtained N1m from three accommodation seekers on the pretext of letting out apartments to them.
“He collected N300,000 from Mr Temidayo Babarinde on the pretext of letting out two-bedroom flat in Oguntade Street, Shasha.
“The accused obtained N200,000 from Mr Peter Okosun for a three-bedroom apartment in Egbeda.
“Mufatau collected N500,000 from Mr Chigozie Frank to let out a three-bedroom apartment at No. 17, Gabriel Babalola St., Egbeda, Lagos to him,” Awase said.
The prosecutor said that the complainants paid the money into the bank account of the accused after they had inspected the said apartments.
“After the accused took the complainants to the houses, he asked them to pay the amounts into his account which they did.
“When the complainants went to the houses after payment, the landlords told them that they did not give the accused their property to manage for them,” he said.
He said when the first complainant went to Egbeda Police Station to report the fraud, he met the second and third complainants who also came for the same complaint about the accused.
“The complainants reported the case to the police and efforts made by them to retrieve their money or have their accommodation proved unsuccessful as the accused has been on the run.
“He was later arrested and handed over to the police,” he said.
Awese said the offences contravened Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015(Revised).
Section 314 prescribes 15 years jail term for obtaining money under false pretences.
The accused pleaded innocence of the offences and was granted bail in the sum of N500,000 with two sureties in like sum.
The Magistrate, Mr J. A. Adigun, said that the sureties should be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The case was adjourned until Dec. 28, for mention.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 3 Nigeria FIFA referees for CAF Women Nations Cup
- Akusho wins Lagos Women Run
- Niger Tornadoes recruit fifteen players
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Nigerian Prince Who Scammed People In US Appears In Court, Begs To Go Home (Photos)
- Hoodlums vandalise 18 vehicles, rob traders openly in Lagos
- Millionaire Chief Bademosi's "Killer" Arraigned, Sent To Prison
- Obasanjo Speaks: Govs Against LG Autonomy Are Enemies Of Nigerians
- Tinunu's Wealth Questionable? EFCC Boss Asks Journalist To Write Petition
- Multiple Car Crashes In Abuja, Four Confirmed Dead
- Woman Loses Her Life Savings To Native Doctor Out Of Greed
- Fayose Hosts Peter Obi In His Lagos Home (Photos)
- Young Lady Drugged, R*ped In Lagos By Man She Refused
- Story Of Lady Who Fell From The Sky After Getting Sucked Out Of A Plane (Photos)
- Ad Agencies Turning Down Atiku Adverts for Fear of Buhari?
- Doctors Surgically Remove Toy Stuck In Boy's Throat (Pics)
- Nigeria Customs Service lift Volleyball Premier League titles
- 5 things women said when they saw this man’s giant tongue
- UK, Nigeria on war path over Diezani loot
- 2019: Tension in Sokoto as INEC omits Tambuwal on governorship List
- SERAP to EFCC, ICPC: Probe corruption in APC, PDP primaries
- 2019: How Buhari plots to block Atiku from moving funds
- Emefiele defends anchor borrowers’ scheme
- 9mobile finally gets new owners
- Court insists Ganduje can’t be probed
- APC national vice chairman sacked; headquarters reacts
- Nigerian Couple In Lovely Village-themed Pre-wedding Photos
- Court Revokes Uzor Kalu's Bail, Orders His Arrest
- Wike & His Wife Lay Hands On Each Other's Head During Prayer
- Ibrahim Magu Dodges Question On Ganduje Bribery Video
- Young Girl Who Lives In Lagos Trash Site Finally Gets Help
- PHOTOS: Man Stealing Female Panties Caught Red Handed
- Boss Who Killed Fuel Station Manager Over N40k Arrested
- EFCC Asked To Investigate Bribery Case Against Oshiomhole
- Pics From Actress Linda Ejiofor & Ibrahim Suleiman Wedding
- See What Buhari's Education Minister Said About ASUU When He Wasn't A Minister
- Another Nigerian Bank on brinks of collapse
- Don’t bet on Naira’s devaluation soon, says CBN
- How APC governorship candidate was arrested for corruption
- Stop playing politics with Nigeria’s budget, Olujimi tells Presidency