It's a widely known fact that America houses the vast majority of the world's incarcerated population– and simply put, it's because for-profit jails and businesses are racking it up, getting rained in billions of dollars and inhumanely cashing in.
As of 2017, America holds 21% of the world's inmates in its jails, giving it the number one spot for imprisoning its population– meanwhile, the country grossly falls lower and lower in its ranks for quality of education, making innovations in science and math or environmental advancements.
(Photo: Wiki Commons / Officer Bimblebury)
Unfortunately, jailing citizens and cramming them into bunks like sardines has been commonplace since the 1980s, when widespread privatization took place. Since then, the plight of incarcerated peoples has only become more complicated.
As the years progress, more stipulations have been put in place that make getting consumed in the prison industrial complex so much harder. We see this sentiment once again, when last year, prisons across the country began opting to end face-to-face prison visitations in exchange for video calls between inmates and loved ones.
New Orleans resident Tiffany Burns explains to the Guardian after visiting her boyfriend in a state prison in October of 2017, she was handed a pamphlet by a guard and told. He bluntly told her, “From now on, no more visits. If you want to see him, read that.”The pamphlet, dispersed by Securus Technology, said:
“Do you want to see your loved one more often? Stop missing out on:
• Watching your favorite TV show.
• Singing Happy Birthday.
• Reading a bedtime story ... Never miss another moment.”
The brochure attempts to make the use of video calling somehow sound positive or appealing, but for anyone with sense, empathy or a heart, we know what this is. With this new system in place, each video video call would cost $12.99 for 20 minutes. In-person visits used to be free.
(Photo: Getty Images / The Washington Post)
As someone who has incarcerated family and has seen the disparities of the justice system firsthand, this shakes me. The well-being of people, their sanity and their family's sanity is being monetized only to grease the palms of well-to-do men and women who know them as no more than a number on a screen.
Video calling systems have already replaced face-to-face visitations in prisons in New Orleans, Louisiana, California, Washington D.C. and beyond. As video visitations increase, face-to-face visitations decline– which only makes sense, since many of the private companies that provide video visitation services to prisons require governments to drop in-person visits as an option.
The bottomline of this issue is clear: Video visiting is big business for prison phone companies and privatized prisons, but it is heinously expensive, often doesn't even work or give callers a clear connection to speak to their loved ones and is 100% indisputably inhumane. We need to do better.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants