Everest Amaefule, Abuja
The Debt Management Office on Wednesday said it was set to issue Green Bonds worth N10.69bn to finance some aspects of the 2017 budget.
According to the DMO, the Green Bond is being issued following Nigeria’s endorsement of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change on September 21, 2016.
The agreement aims to strengthen the global response to the threat of climate change. Since its signing, various countries who are parties to the agreement have initiated several steps aimed at making the environment better.
The Green Bond proceeds will be used to finance projects in the 2017 Appropriation Act that have been certified as green because of their positive effects on the environment, the DMO said in a statement made available to our correspondent in Abuja on Wednesday.
Among the projects to be financed with the proceeds of the Green Bond issuance are renewable energy micro utilities and afforestation programmes of the government.
As part of the preparation for the bond, which is to be issued in collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, the DMO will hold a roadshow in Abuja today (Thursday) to sensitise prospective investors to what to expect from the bond.
Another roadshow with the same objective will hold in Lagos on Friday.
Chapel Hill Denham has been appointed as financial advisers to the transaction.
The DMO said with the issuance, Nigeria would become one of the few countries in the world and the first African country to issue a Green Bond.
The Federal Government had in November issued Eurobonds worth $3bn. Out of the amount, $2.5bn was earmarked for financing deficits in the 2017 budget.
Should the National Assembly fail to pass the 2018 budget proposal early enough for implementation in January, the 2017 budget is expected to last till May 2018 since it was passed into law in May 2017.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants