A Kentucky state lawmaker accused of molesting a teenage girl was found dead Wednesday with a gunshot wound to the head, in what authorities called a “probable suicide”, local media reported.
State Representative Dan Johnson, a Republican, had earlier posted a note on his Facebook page denying the allegations laid out in a story by the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, a non-profit created by Kentucky Public Radio.
“The accusations … are false GOD and only GOD knows the truth. Nothing is the way they make it out to be … GOD LOVES ALL PEOPLE NO MATTER WHAT,” Johnson wrote, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal.
The post was later taken down.
Johnson was accused by a woman of molesting her when she was 17 after a New Year’s party in 2012.
Bullitt County Coroner David Billings told reporters that the Facebook post triggered a search, and when officials found Johnson he was dead of a single gunshot to the head.
Billings told local news outlets the death was being treated as “a probable suicide”.
Condolences poured in from shocked Kentucky political leaders, including Governor Matt Bevin and Senator Rand Paul.
The turn of events comes in the midst of a national reckoning over sexual harassment that has brought down well-known figures in the worlds of entertainment, media, fashion and politics.
In Alabama, Republican candidate Roy Moore was defeated Tuesday in a race for a vacant US Senate seat dominated by allegations that the former judge had preyed on teenage girls when he was in his 30s.
His rival Doug Jones became the first Democrat to win a US Senate in conservative Alabama in a quarter century.
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York has called on President Donald Trump to resign over allegations of sexual misconduct that emerged during the 2016 campaign.
Trump responded by calling Gillibrand a “lightweight senator” who “would do anything” for campaign contributions.
Three women who claim they were sexually harassed by Trump before he ran for president urged lawmakers on Monday to open an inquiry into his alleged misconduct, which includes unwanted kissing, touching and groping.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed
- Story Of Woman & Her Two Daughters Impregnated By One Man
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution