A Kentucky state lawmaker accused of molesting a teenage girl was found dead Wednesday with a gunshot wound to the head, in what authorities called a “probable suicide”, local media reported.
State Representative Dan Johnson, a Republican, had earlier posted a note on his Facebook page denying the allegations laid out in a story by the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, a non-profit created by Kentucky Public Radio.
“The accusations … are false GOD and only GOD knows the truth. Nothing is the way they make it out to be … GOD LOVES ALL PEOPLE NO MATTER WHAT,” Johnson wrote, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal.
The post was later taken down.
Johnson was accused by a woman of molesting her when she was 17 after a New Year’s party in 2012.
Bullitt County Coroner David Billings told reporters that the Facebook post triggered a search, and when officials found Johnson he was dead of a single gunshot to the head.
Billings told local news outlets the death was being treated as “a probable suicide”.
Condolences poured in from shocked Kentucky political leaders, including Governor Matt Bevin and Senator Rand Paul.
The turn of events comes in the midst of a national reckoning over sexual harassment that has brought down well-known figures in the worlds of entertainment, media, fashion and politics.
In Alabama, Republican candidate Roy Moore was defeated Tuesday in a race for a vacant US Senate seat dominated by allegations that the former judge had preyed on teenage girls when he was in his 30s.
His rival Doug Jones became the first Democrat to win a US Senate in conservative Alabama in a quarter century.
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York has called on President Donald Trump to resign over allegations of sexual misconduct that emerged during the 2016 campaign.
Trump responded by calling Gillibrand a “lightweight senator” who “would do anything” for campaign contributions.
Three women who claim they were sexually harassed by Trump before he ran for president urged lawmakers on Monday to open an inquiry into his alleged misconduct, which includes unwanted kissing, touching and groping.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity
- CBN calls on bankers to address challenges of fintech
- LASU VC reaffirms fairness, transparency, accountability to stakeholders
- Nigerian Govt inaugurates new website to bring governance closer to citizens
- Lagos hits N34bn monthly IGR – Ashade
- I regret supporting Saraki for Senate President – Ndume
- Northern youths urge Buhari, Atiku not to contest in 2019
- After 30 days in medical custody, Melaye healthy enough to lambast Aso Rock
- Ohaneze’s latest declaration will scare many politicians
- 15 Nigerian agencies failed to remit N8.1 trillion under Jonathan
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- ‘Entrepreneurship Key To Poverty Alleviation’
- I Made First Class Despite Distractions - UNILAG’s valedictorian
- Female Suicide Bomber Captured Alive As Good Men Stop Her From Killing People
- I Sell My Guns To Anyone That Needs Them - Suspect opens up
- APC Moves To Stop Saraki, Dogara, Others From Leaving Party
- Presidency raises alarm: Rich & corrupt ganging up against Buhari
- Suspected Fulani Herdsmen Kill 6 Teachers In Benue
- 'APC Government Planning To Assassinate Me' - Gov. Wike
- Fashola To Lagos Govt.: Provide Land For Housing
- Young Cultists Raining Havoc In Nigerian Schools (DETAILS)
- I Will Die! Woman tears her dress after herdsman destroys cassava farm she took loan to cultivate
- God Is All You Need
- Man Kills Girlfriend For Money Ritual, Stuffs Her Body Inside Bucket In Lagos
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult