– The UK Department for International Development says Nigeria lost $32 billion to corruption during the GEJ regime
– The amount represents nearly 16% of the previous government’s money; which should have been invested into the future of Nigerians
The UK Department for International Development (DFID) has stated that during the 6-year administration of immediate past president, Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria lost $32 billion to corruption, The Cable reports.
NAIJ.com gathers that the revelation was made by the head of DFID Nigeria, Debbie Palmer, during an event in commemoration of the 2017 international anti-corruption day, which was organised by Youngstars Foundation Initiative.
Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan (Photo credit: Hope for Nigeria)
Palmer stated: “An independent report estimates that up to $32bn was lost to corruption under the previous government. This is around 15 percent of state resources during the period, and could well be an underestimate.
“So, the estimate is that nearly 16 percent of the previous government’s money was lost to corruption. That is a staggering amount of money.
“And that is money that is to all of you and to your future. That is why we all should care about corruption.
“Millions of dollars also remain in other jurisdictions tied up in legal challenges.”
Palmer further stated that the youths had an important role to play in President Muhammadu Buhari’s anti-corruption fight.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that former president, Goodluck Jonathan, hinted that there were instances of corruption during his administration, and admitted that he failed to plug all the loopholes.
The Peoples Democratic Party under the former president has been blamed for massive cases of corruption in the country with Diezani Alison-Madueke who served as minister of petroleum resources accused of gross misappropriation of the country’s fund to finance the party ahead of the 2015 elections.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants