– The UK Department for International Development says Nigeria lost $32 billion to corruption during the GEJ regime
– The amount represents nearly 16% of the previous government’s money; which should have been invested into the future of Nigerians
The UK Department for International Development (DFID) has stated that during the 6-year administration of immediate past president, Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria lost $32 billion to corruption, The Cable reports.
NAIJ.com gathers that the revelation was made by the head of DFID Nigeria, Debbie Palmer, during an event in commemoration of the 2017 international anti-corruption day, which was organised by Youngstars Foundation Initiative.
Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan (Photo credit: Hope for Nigeria)
Palmer stated: “An independent report estimates that up to $32bn was lost to corruption under the previous government. This is around 15 percent of state resources during the period, and could well be an underestimate.
“So, the estimate is that nearly 16 percent of the previous government’s money was lost to corruption. That is a staggering amount of money.
“And that is money that is to all of you and to your future. That is why we all should care about corruption.
“Millions of dollars also remain in other jurisdictions tied up in legal challenges.”
Palmer further stated that the youths had an important role to play in President Muhammadu Buhari’s anti-corruption fight.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that former president, Goodluck Jonathan, hinted that there were instances of corruption during his administration, and admitted that he failed to plug all the loopholes.
The Peoples Democratic Party under the former president has been blamed for massive cases of corruption in the country with Diezani Alison-Madueke who served as minister of petroleum resources accused of gross misappropriation of the country’s fund to finance the party ahead of the 2015 elections.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari should apologise to Atiku – Sen. Shehu Sani
- Search of Atiku, an attack on Opposition – Peter Obi
- CBN, NDIC monitor investigation of Skye Bank directors
- 2019: INEC in dilemma over security risk in North East
- 2019: Human Rights Community sensitizes voters against vote buying
- 2019: How APC plot to hinder Atiku from moving funds – PDP
- Pretty Lady & Her Fiance Share Cute Pre-wedding Photos
- Saraki must vacant senate presidency, Oshiomhole insists
- I'll Avoid Trial Until FG Obeys My Bail Rulings - Ex-NSA Dasuki Tells Court
- See Popular Actor John Dumelo's Farm
- Buhari Attacks Kwankwaso, Accuses Him Of Diverting Kano Funds For Campaign
- Female Speaker Of Anambra Assembly Impeached
- 2019 Election: INEC, Police, civil society calls for peace
- LG is meant to be autonomous from the state – Obasanjo
- Okorocha engages Oshiomhole in crossfire
- Allegri: I hope to stay for a long time
- Messi: Anyone can get beaten
- Conte: Real Madrid’s job is not good for me
- Joachim Low: we want to return to wining ways
- 2019: Youths declared APC obituary in Akwa Ibom
- Panic as poisoned food flood Nigerian markets
- Akeredolu declares war on journalists, bans coverage of government activities
- See 13 things Bankyw said after he announced his political ambition
- Aremu Afolayan slams Buhari, Governor Ambode over inefficient airport staff
- Thierry Henry: Monaco must stay positive despite struggles
- Oil prices determined to stay within $80
- Suarez fight with Barca star after loss
- Hazard: World Cup heroics drained me
- Higuain’s brutal revenge on CR7 for Juventus exit turned sour
- Sergio Busquets’ classy message to Real Betis manager after Barcelona’s 4-3 loss
- Man Allegedly Commits Suicide After Losing Church Money
- Police Arrest Four 'One Chance' Suspects, Female Underwear Found On Them
- Identical Twins Graduate With First Class From University Of Ibadan (Photos)
- 2019: Akwa Ibom Govt accuses EFCC of working for APC
- Fashola renders account of three years stewardship
- 2019: Peter Obi warns El-Rufai to stop Hate Speech
- Am fighting for state police – Osinbajo
- How N5m gift from a Facebook ‘Good Samaritan’ took me to jail
- 4 reasons women prefer these pot-belly-men to regular 6-pack-men
- Nigeria’s greatest problem is corruption, not restructuring- Osinbajo