– Cyril Essien, who was recently kidnapped by some unknown gunmen, regained his freedom after allegedly paying a sum of N350,000
– Okon Ayi, a witness, reported that the abduction was done just after the evening mass at the church
– The state’s police public relations officer, ASP Irene Ugbo, who confirmed the kidnap said the victim recovered after police men swung into action
A Catholic priest, Rev Fr Cyril Essien, who was earlier abducted, regained his freedom from the clutches of alleged kidnappers after paying a ransom of N350,000.
The priest was kidnapped on Friday, December 8, around the confines of a Catholic church in Awi, in the Akamkpa local government area of the state by some armed men.
The Punch reports that the priest was released on Sunday, December 10, he was ransomed after the payment was paid.
Okon Ayi, who witnessed the abduction, disclosed on Monday, December 11, that Essien was seized just after the church’s evening mass by five gunmen who stormed the church and shot several times.
Okon said: “It was the sound of gunshots that drew my attention. I looked around and saw armed men. They took the priest away in a waiting vehicle.”
“He was released on Sunday after the kidnappers got the ransom. They dropped N350,000 in a particular spot on Edgerton Street in Calabar.”
The state’s police public relations officer, ASP Irene Ugbo confirmed the kidnap. He also said the priest had been released.
Ugbo said: “The priest was kidnapped in front of the church on Friday and was taken away by five armed. We immediately swung into action when information got to us.“We dispatched our men who rescued the victim.”
The Punch reports that Rev Father Felix Akpan was abducted by yet-to-be identified gunmen along Abak-Ukanafun Road.
According to reports, Father Akpan is in-charge of St. Michael De Archangel Parish at Ikot Etim in Ukanafun local government area and also teaches at Top Faith International School, Mkpatak in Essien Udim LGA.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution
- PHOTOS: Bayelsa International Airport Almost Ready
- Corporate Keke Driver Customizes His Keke With Cups Of Sweets For Passengers
- US-based Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By His Lover's Ex
- Nigeria Police To Be Decentralized
- Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Pregnant Wife Over N1000
- Young Robbers Terrorizing Delta Nabbed By Security Operatives
- Photo Of Saraki and His Beautiful Daughters
- Meet Nigeria's Strongest Man As He Shares Secret Of His Success
- Lady Makes Shocking Revelations: My abductors butchered people for rituals
- Many Sleeping At INEC Office In Lagos Just To Get PVC
- Ayefele fans, workers protest planned demolition of radio station