Olufemi Atoyebi, Ibadan
The Olubadan and the Olubadan-in-Council fell out after the governor crowned them and some Baales in accordance with the report of the Justice Boade panel set up by Ajimobi to review the Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration.
Olubadan’s Director, Media and Public Affairs, Adeola Oloko, told our correspondent that the palace had yet to receive any notice and that a response from the king would be communicated to the public at the appropriate time.
At a press conference addressed by the 21 kings at the Mapo Hall, Ibadan on Monday, the leader of the group, Oba Lekan Balogun, who is also the Otun Olubadan of Ibadan land, accused the Olubadan of taking unilateral decision on behalf of the ‘Olubadan-Kings-in-Council’ and inciting the people against the state government.
Among those who attended the conference were Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, Oba Abimbola Ajibola, Oba Eddy Oyewole, Oba Lateef Adebimpe, Oba Amidu Ajibade and Oba Kola Adegbola.
They said Olubadan’s action did not portray the true position of the relationship that existed between the council and the state government.
They also made reference to issues that led to a disagreement between the Olubadan-in-Council and the monarch.
Balogun said, “Olubadan-in-Council’s meetings are not conducted the way they are supposed to be. Oloris (Olubadan wives) were attending meetings with us and contributing, dictating, and attacking us. They (oloris) resorted to (raining) abuses and curses on the High Chiefs.
“The appointment of Baales and Mogajis is not in compliance with the proper rules and standards. Apart from these, a new Olubadan-in-Council is inside Popoyemoja palace consisting of Olubadan, the Oloris and the personal assistant to the Olubadan, who decide, from time to time who is to be Baale or Mogaji and will only send hearing notice of meeting and agenda to the real members of the Olubadan-in-Council on Saturday preceding the installation date on Monday.”
The group said their main objective was not to depose the Olubadan, but added that if the monarch failed to change his ways within 21 days, they would recommend his removal.
“The Olubadan has since after the inauguration of the beaded crown Obas in Ibadan cultivated himself to misbehave by engaging in acts to cause civil disorder by parading himself about with some unscrupulous Mogajis in Ibadan land, inciting people to rise up against the legitimate government of our amiable Governor of Oyo State, Abiola Ajimobi.
“This is a serious offence which can make us pass a vote of no confidence in him, after which we, as kingmakers that nominated and appointed him for confirmation and approval by the Executive Governor, will also call for his removal.
“We are by this conference, giving the king 21 days ultimatum to change his stand now and work for the improvement of Ibadan rather than disorderliness,” said the kings’ representative.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed
- Story Of Woman & Her Two Daughters Impregnated By One Man
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution