Olufemi Atoyebi, Ibadan
The Olubadan and the Olubadan-in-Council fell out after the governor crowned them and some Baales in accordance with the report of the Justice Boade panel set up by Ajimobi to review the Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration.
Olubadan’s Director, Media and Public Affairs, Adeola Oloko, told our correspondent that the palace had yet to receive any notice and that a response from the king would be communicated to the public at the appropriate time.
At a press conference addressed by the 21 kings at the Mapo Hall, Ibadan on Monday, the leader of the group, Oba Lekan Balogun, who is also the Otun Olubadan of Ibadan land, accused the Olubadan of taking unilateral decision on behalf of the ‘Olubadan-Kings-in-Council’ and inciting the people against the state government.
Among those who attended the conference were Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, Oba Abimbola Ajibola, Oba Eddy Oyewole, Oba Lateef Adebimpe, Oba Amidu Ajibade and Oba Kola Adegbola.
They said Olubadan’s action did not portray the true position of the relationship that existed between the council and the state government.
They also made reference to issues that led to a disagreement between the Olubadan-in-Council and the monarch.
Balogun said, “Olubadan-in-Council’s meetings are not conducted the way they are supposed to be. Oloris (Olubadan wives) were attending meetings with us and contributing, dictating, and attacking us. They (oloris) resorted to (raining) abuses and curses on the High Chiefs.
“The appointment of Baales and Mogajis is not in compliance with the proper rules and standards. Apart from these, a new Olubadan-in-Council is inside Popoyemoja palace consisting of Olubadan, the Oloris and the personal assistant to the Olubadan, who decide, from time to time who is to be Baale or Mogaji and will only send hearing notice of meeting and agenda to the real members of the Olubadan-in-Council on Saturday preceding the installation date on Monday.”
The group said their main objective was not to depose the Olubadan, but added that if the monarch failed to change his ways within 21 days, they would recommend his removal.
“The Olubadan has since after the inauguration of the beaded crown Obas in Ibadan cultivated himself to misbehave by engaging in acts to cause civil disorder by parading himself about with some unscrupulous Mogajis in Ibadan land, inciting people to rise up against the legitimate government of our amiable Governor of Oyo State, Abiola Ajimobi.
“This is a serious offence which can make us pass a vote of no confidence in him, after which we, as kingmakers that nominated and appointed him for confirmation and approval by the Executive Governor, will also call for his removal.
“We are by this conference, giving the king 21 days ultimatum to change his stand now and work for the improvement of Ibadan rather than disorderliness,” said the kings’ representative.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Coalition protests in Ilorin in support of IGP Idris
- Story Of Woman Who Was "Sacked" For Giving Birth To Triplets
- Medical Doctor turned Thief defrauds car dealer N28m, arrested by Police in Lagos
- Olisa Metuh Collapses In Court, Judge Reacts Angrily
- Woman Drugs, Kidnaps Friend After Luring Her To Hotel In Lagos
- Obasanjo visits Afenifere leaders: "We have to rescue Nigeria"
- You must marry corpse of our daughter – family tells boyfriend
- Explore Nigeria With These Top Four Tour Operators
- Buhari To Lead 1 Million Nigerians For Democracy Walk
- Dino Melaye: I Was Never Framed Up, Arraigned For Fighting GEJ
- Offa Robbery: Police Finally Nab Two Notorious Leaders
- Woman Rescued From Suspected Kidnappers, Ritualists In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity
- CBN calls on bankers to address challenges of fintech
- LASU VC reaffirms fairness, transparency, accountability to stakeholders
- Nigerian Govt inaugurates new website to bring governance closer to citizens
- Lagos hits N34bn monthly IGR – Ashade
- I regret supporting Saraki for Senate President – Ndume
- Northern youths urge Buhari, Atiku not to contest in 2019
- After 30 days in medical custody, Melaye healthy enough to lambast Aso Rock
- Ohaneze’s latest declaration will scare many politicians
- 15 Nigerian agencies failed to remit N8.1 trillion under Jonathan
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- ‘Entrepreneurship Key To Poverty Alleviation’
- I Made First Class Despite Distractions - UNILAG’s valedictorian
- Female Suicide Bomber Captured Alive As Good Men Stop Her From Killing People
- I Sell My Guns To Anyone That Needs Them - Suspect opens up
- APC Moves To Stop Saraki, Dogara, Others From Leaving Party
- Presidency raises alarm: Rich & corrupt ganging up against Buhari
- Suspected Fulani Herdsmen Kill 6 Teachers In Benue
- 'APC Government Planning To Assassinate Me' - Gov. Wike
- Fashola To Lagos Govt.: Provide Land For Housing
- Young Cultists Raining Havoc In Nigerian Schools (DETAILS)
- I Will Die! Woman tears her dress after herdsman destroys cassava farm she took loan to cultivate
- God Is All You Need
- Man Kills Girlfriend For Money Ritual, Stuffs Her Body Inside Bucket In Lagos
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot