Olufemi Atoyebi, Ibadan
The Olubadan and the Olubadan-in-Council fell out after the governor crowned them and some Baales in accordance with the report of the Justice Boade panel set up by Ajimobi to review the Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration.
Olubadan’s Director, Media and Public Affairs, Adeola Oloko, told our correspondent that the palace had yet to receive any notice and that a response from the king would be communicated to the public at the appropriate time.
At a press conference addressed by the 21 kings at the Mapo Hall, Ibadan on Monday, the leader of the group, Oba Lekan Balogun, who is also the Otun Olubadan of Ibadan land, accused the Olubadan of taking unilateral decision on behalf of the ‘Olubadan-Kings-in-Council’ and inciting the people against the state government.
Among those who attended the conference were Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, Oba Abimbola Ajibola, Oba Eddy Oyewole, Oba Lateef Adebimpe, Oba Amidu Ajibade and Oba Kola Adegbola.
They said Olubadan’s action did not portray the true position of the relationship that existed between the council and the state government.
They also made reference to issues that led to a disagreement between the Olubadan-in-Council and the monarch.
Balogun said, “Olubadan-in-Council’s meetings are not conducted the way they are supposed to be. Oloris (Olubadan wives) were attending meetings with us and contributing, dictating, and attacking us. They (oloris) resorted to (raining) abuses and curses on the High Chiefs.
“The appointment of Baales and Mogajis is not in compliance with the proper rules and standards. Apart from these, a new Olubadan-in-Council is inside Popoyemoja palace consisting of Olubadan, the Oloris and the personal assistant to the Olubadan, who decide, from time to time who is to be Baale or Mogaji and will only send hearing notice of meeting and agenda to the real members of the Olubadan-in-Council on Saturday preceding the installation date on Monday.”
The group said their main objective was not to depose the Olubadan, but added that if the monarch failed to change his ways within 21 days, they would recommend his removal.
“The Olubadan has since after the inauguration of the beaded crown Obas in Ibadan cultivated himself to misbehave by engaging in acts to cause civil disorder by parading himself about with some unscrupulous Mogajis in Ibadan land, inciting people to rise up against the legitimate government of our amiable Governor of Oyo State, Abiola Ajimobi.
“This is a serious offence which can make us pass a vote of no confidence in him, after which we, as kingmakers that nominated and appointed him for confirmation and approval by the Executive Governor, will also call for his removal.
“We are by this conference, giving the king 21 days ultimatum to change his stand now and work for the improvement of Ibadan rather than disorderliness,” said the kings’ representative.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ooni commissions projects to promote culture
- Woman Disgraced After Allegedly Trying To Kidnap A Baby
- Soldiers Rescue Boy Who Was Locked Up With Charm
- The 10 best Premier League signings of 2018/19 so far, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Everton stars
- I am always ready to represent Nigeria –Kenneth Omeruo
- Germany relegated from Nations League tier
- Pogba chills with Messi; Barca rumours fuel
- Homosexuality most difficult subject to talk in football
- Buhari, Atiku congratulate Super Eagles on 2019 AFCON qualification
- Messi, Ronaldo, Salah & the top 20 scorers of 2018
- Chevron fc is fully ready for Eze United- Godtime Emiko
- Atiku begins campaign
- FG approves N60bn for rice
- Oshiomhole Escapes Moves To Sack Him
- Atiku Begins 2019 Campaign, Launches ‘People’s Policy'
- Top Leader Of Terrorists Who Abducted Leah Sharibu Killed
- Ganduje Bribe Videos: Fayose Slams Buhari, EFCC
- APC Wins Kwara Bye-election
- Osinbajo, NEMA DG To Face Probe Over IDPs N33Billion
- Ooni Of Ife: "In The Palace I Was Never Single"
- Rivers APC Guber Candidate Escapes Assassination
- Confusion As Vehicle Disappears From Police Station
- Policeman Leads Gang To Rob Delta Firm Of N30m In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Man Collapses In Lagos After Losing His Cash Due To Bank's Alleged 'Negligence' (Photo)
- Saraki Reacts To Viral Audio On Helping Buhari In 2015 With His Money
- Delta big boy 'Solo Pounds' nabbed for Yahoo, Armed Robbery in Ghana (Photos)
- Buhari: I've asked EFCC to account for every money recovered
- See How Woman Overpowered Thief Trying To Rob Her
- "My Wife's Money Demands Turned Me To Criminal" - Suspect Arrested In Lagos
- Popular Millionaire "Kills" Single Mother During S*x
- Buhari appoints fresh blood in CBN
- Buhari appoints new heads agencies, parastatals
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ladies Stop Turning Us Down, We Earn More Than Many Men Wearing Suit - Keke Driver
- Suspected Lagos Yahoo-Boy Arraigned, Remanded In Prison
- CAN meets Buhari, says APC turning hiding place for corrupt politicians
- Dollar Bribe: Oshiomhole Cries Out Over Moves To Nail Him
- How S*x Outside Marriage Is Exposing People To Demons
- Buhari Reacts: Igbo leaders’ endorsement of Atiku can't stand