Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish of the Catholic Church, Gwarinpa, Abuja has advised Nigerians to handle anger with positive attitude to avoid inflicting injury on self, society and sin against God.
In its bulletin released on Sunday, the church said that if not well managed, anger could lead to ill-health.
Quoting from the Gospel of Mathew, Chapter 5 verses 21-22, the publication said that anger could be one of the seven deadly sins if not handled very well.
“First thing that needed to be said is that anger is normal and even healthy. If we love and value ourselves, we will naturally get angry if we are treated badly.
“We shouldn’t deny ourselves of anger, nor should we be afraid to allow ourselves to feel angry. Anger is just a feeling.
“In itself it is neither good nor bad morally. We may have been told that it is a bad emotion. It is a dangerous emotion, but that does not make it a bad one,’’ the church said.
The bulletin stated that people should not repress anger, noting that psychologists had said that repressed anger is very dangerous and could result in self-hatred, depression, and even illness, such as asthma and ulcers.
It stated that when given a means of expression, relief would follow.
“When Jesus says to us, `do not get angry with your brother,’ he is not condemning anger in itself. After all, He Himself got angry when He drove the traders out of the temple.
“There are times we ought to be angry. An unjust situation should make us angry. Anger needs not to give rise to a lessening of love, much less to hate.
“It is when anger turns into hostility that it becomes dangerous.
“Hostility rather than anger is the real deadly sin. It causes us to act our anger, and leads to deep resentments, negative attitudes, insults, and so on, which are directed at the object of our anger,’’ it stated.
The publication stated that if we found ourselves getting angry often, we should look at the cause of our anger.
It stated that the cause might be with ourselves, adding that we may be hypersensitive, or over-impatient, or full of hurt that we have not dealt with.
“In which case, we may have to look at ourselves.
“But the cause may lie also with others; some people are full of anger, which makes them very difficult to live with.
“Instead of owing their anger, they direct it on to others. If the cause of our anger lies with another person, we have to look at our relationship with that person,’’ it stated.
According to it, anger is a dangerous thing and that if the heart is filled with anger, there is no sleep, no appetite, and no smile.
The bulletin, however, stated that people could ruin their health, friendship and everything because of anger.
“We cannot avoid getting angry but we can avoid acting out our anger. Jesus tells us that, we have to seek to be reconciled,’’ it said
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed
- Story Of Woman & Her Two Daughters Impregnated By One Man
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution