Ade Adesomoju, Abuja
The Enugu Division of the Court of Appeal has explained why it refused to unfreeze the Zenith Bank account of a former Chief Judge of Enugu State, Justice Innocent Umezulike (retd), who is being prosecuted for allegedly using his then office to confer corrupt or unfair advantage on himself.
The Court of Appeal had delivered a summary of the ruling on December 7, but our correspondent on Sunday sighted a copy of the full ruling detailing the reasons Umezulike’s appeal against the freezing order was dismissed.
A three-man panel of the Court of Appeal led by Justice Helen Ogunwumiju, unanimously agreed with the decision of Justice A.M. Liman of the Federal High Court in Enugu that there was no legal basis to grant the prayer sought by the former Chief Judge.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had, through an ex parte application, obtained the order freezing Umezulike’s account from the Federal High Court in Enugu on February 23, 2017, but later charged and subsequently arraigned him before the High Court of Enugu State on July 4, 2017.
The anti-graft agency had alleged that the Zenith Bank account was bearing N50m connected with the proceeds of the crime for which it was prosecuting the former Chief Judge.
Umezulike had, later, applied to the Federal High Court, asking for an order setting aside the freezing order. But Justice Liman, on June 2, 2017, dismissed the application.
Through his counsel, Prof. Agu Agu, Umezulike later filed an appeal against the June 2, 2017 decision of the Federal High Court.
The EFCC, through its counsel, Mr. Wahab Shittu, had opposed the appeal.
But in dismissing the appeal, Justice Ogunwumiju who delivered the lead ruling of the Court of Appeal, agreed with Justice Liman who had held that “where a freezing order is made by one court, and a trial is instituted in another court”, the court which originally granted the freezing order “may lose the power to review its earlier order.”
The Federal High Court had added that “but the court trying the charge may be entitled, in appropriate cases, to review the terms of the freezing order.”
Agreeing, Justice Ogunwumiju held that although the order of the Enugu Division of the Federal High Court, delivered on February 23, 2017, had lapsed after 60 days, Umezulike could only file any “necessary application” before the High Court of Enugu State where he is being prosecuted.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Coalition protests in Ilorin in support of IGP Idris
- Story Of Woman Who Was "Sacked" For Giving Birth To Triplets
- Medical Doctor turned Thief defrauds car dealer N28m, arrested by Police in Lagos
- Olisa Metuh Collapses In Court, Judge Reacts Angrily
- Woman Drugs, Kidnaps Friend After Luring Her To Hotel In Lagos
- Obasanjo visits Afenifere leaders: "We have to rescue Nigeria"
- You must marry corpse of our daughter – family tells boyfriend
- Explore Nigeria With These Top Four Tour Operators
- Buhari To Lead 1 Million Nigerians For Democracy Walk
- Dino Melaye: I Was Never Framed Up, Arraigned For Fighting GEJ
- Offa Robbery: Police Finally Nab Two Notorious Leaders
- Woman Rescued From Suspected Kidnappers, Ritualists In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity
- CBN calls on bankers to address challenges of fintech
- LASU VC reaffirms fairness, transparency, accountability to stakeholders
- Nigerian Govt inaugurates new website to bring governance closer to citizens
- Lagos hits N34bn monthly IGR – Ashade
- I regret supporting Saraki for Senate President – Ndume
- Northern youths urge Buhari, Atiku not to contest in 2019
- After 30 days in medical custody, Melaye healthy enough to lambast Aso Rock
- Ohaneze’s latest declaration will scare many politicians
- 15 Nigerian agencies failed to remit N8.1 trillion under Jonathan
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- ‘Entrepreneurship Key To Poverty Alleviation’
- I Made First Class Despite Distractions - UNILAG’s valedictorian
- Female Suicide Bomber Captured Alive As Good Men Stop Her From Killing People
- I Sell My Guns To Anyone That Needs Them - Suspect opens up
- APC Moves To Stop Saraki, Dogara, Others From Leaving Party
- Presidency raises alarm: Rich & corrupt ganging up against Buhari
- Suspected Fulani Herdsmen Kill 6 Teachers In Benue
- 'APC Government Planning To Assassinate Me' - Gov. Wike
- Fashola To Lagos Govt.: Provide Land For Housing
- Young Cultists Raining Havoc In Nigerian Schools (DETAILS)
- I Will Die! Woman tears her dress after herdsman destroys cassava farm she took loan to cultivate
- God Is All You Need
- Man Kills Girlfriend For Money Ritual, Stuffs Her Body Inside Bucket In Lagos
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot