Established by the Hip Hop World Magazine over a decade ago, The Headies is an annual awards ceremony – arguably the most prestigious in the country – created to recognize outstanding achievements in the Nigerian music industry.
For the past couple of years, the ceremony has taken place around December, with the nominations list released in the first week of November, but this year...silence. Well, we now know why: The Headies have been moved to March 2018 — the same time it held when they first launched.
Falz with one of his Headies awards (Photo: Falz)
According to The Headies' executive producer, Ayo Animashaun, the show will hold on March 24, with a new year-in-review and four brand new categories, 'Headies Viewers' Choice', 'Industry Brand Supporter', 'Best Performer', and 'Best Songwriter'.
The year-in-review has been changed to accommodate music released between July 2016 and December 2017. Subsequently, the year-in-review will be from January to December of each year — which honestly makes a lot more sense.
For the new categories, the 'Viewers’ Choice' prize will give full power to the fans; the 'Brand Supporter' prize will recognize brands who are supporting the industry; the 'Best Performer' prize will reward stagecraft and showmanship; while the 'Best Songwriter' prize will reward songwriting talent.
A month ago, we predicted which of our faves we thought were going to be nominated, leaving out artists like Simi, Niniola and Falz, who all missed the former year-in-review. With the updated timeline, they all get in, making The Headies a lot harder to predict and a lot more exciting!
Our Headies predictions (Photo: Konbini)
TV taught me how to feel.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari unveils campaign logo ahead of 2019 election
- 2019: Sheik Gumi takes Buhari
- Nigeria is a middle-income country, Adeosun corrects IMF
- Keystone launches ‘CashToken’, partners CeLD
- 'Yahoo Boy' Lands In EFCC Net Over Alleged $22,000 Fraud
- Evil Taking Over Good In Nigeria - Soyinka On State Of The Nation
- Six Ways To Be Your Husband’s Number 1 Helper
- 30 people dead as gunmen invade Zamfara
- Ladies Trafficked From Nigerian Turned Into Slaves In Morocco, Saudi Arabia
- Nigerian Man Attempts Suicide After Being Sentenced To Death
- Confusion As Angry Patients Hold Doctor, Others 'Hostage' At Enugu Hospital
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Eat These Foods To Lower Cholesterol
- Here's Saraki's Reaction To Senate Invasion, Theft Of Mace
- Married Woman Brutalized By Hoodlums In Lagos Market
- EFCC Chairman Magu Promoted To Commissioner of Police
- Mace Theft Saga: Senators plot total shut-out of Omo-Agege
- N10bn contractors’ payment: Adeosun debunks illegal transactions
- Skill acquisition: Lagos trains 18,184 women, youths in three years
- Why You Should Stop Worrying About Making A Big Impact
- We Are Not Lazy, Nigerian Youths Reply President Buhari
- Femi Falana Raises Alarm Over N1.4Trillion As Subsidy Monthly
- SARS Men "Torture" Man With A Pregnant Wife To Death
- 'NEPA' Fights Back: There'll Be Chaos If We Don't Continue Estimated Billing
- Pregnant Teenager, Pastor, Two Others Killed By Rivers Cultists
- 5 Ways To Identify Quality Ankara
- PDP Replies Buhari: Nigerian Youths Are Not Lazy
- Update On Senate Invasion & Mace Theft Saga
- Notorious Gang Leader, 20 Others Arrested
- Fayose, Obanikoro, Omisore Lose Over N2.2B; court freezes Fayose's accounts again
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Lagos completes 450 roads in three years
- Kidnapping: Evans‘ll not escape justice – Lagos Govt
- Lagos Waste: CSNAC asks EFCC to investigate ownership, operation of Visionscape
- Senate Mace Kidnap: When Nigeria lost 109 Senators in one swift terrorist attack
- EFCC about to sabotage own $1.6 bn suit against Omokore, others
- Osinbajo eulogizes Nigerian youths for great strides
- Lagos signs MoU to collate data of persons living with disabilities
- Court remands Buhari’s nominee in prison for alleged N182m fraud
- Shun purchase of pre-registered SIMs to avoid scammers, NCC warns