Established by the Hip Hop World Magazine over a decade ago, The Headies is an annual awards ceremony – arguably the most prestigious in the country – created to recognize outstanding achievements in the Nigerian music industry.
For the past couple of years, the ceremony has taken place around December, with the nominations list released in the first week of November, but this year...silence. Well, we now know why: The Headies have been moved to March 2018 — the same time it held when they first launched.
Falz with one of his Headies awards (Photo: Falz)
According to The Headies' executive producer, Ayo Animashaun, the show will hold on March 24, with a new year-in-review and four brand new categories, 'Headies Viewers' Choice', 'Industry Brand Supporter', 'Best Performer', and 'Best Songwriter'.
The year-in-review has been changed to accommodate music released between July 2016 and December 2017. Subsequently, the year-in-review will be from January to December of each year — which honestly makes a lot more sense.
For the new categories, the 'Viewers’ Choice' prize will give full power to the fans; the 'Brand Supporter' prize will recognize brands who are supporting the industry; the 'Best Performer' prize will reward stagecraft and showmanship; while the 'Best Songwriter' prize will reward songwriting talent.
A month ago, we predicted which of our faves we thought were going to be nominated, leaving out artists like Simi, Niniola and Falz, who all missed the former year-in-review. With the updated timeline, they all get in, making The Headies a lot harder to predict and a lot more exciting!
Our Headies predictions (Photo: Konbini)
TV taught me how to feel.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Lake Rice: Lagos signs agreement with major rice distributors
- Potential South African President elected ANC leader
- Buhari extends tenure of Service Chiefs
- FG Orders Arrest of Marketers Who Hoard Petrol
- CAF reveals top three shortlists for 2017 Awards
- MLF rebrands, unveils new multipurpose platform
- Heritage Bank receives CBN’s sustainable banking award in Agric
- Gridlock: Lagos CP orders deployment of officers to ease traffic
- CVFF, TMF: NIMASA DG lied over disbursement, says expert
- LASTMA arrests five officials for extortion
- Javier Mascherano set to leave Barca for China
- Ronaldo demands equity with Lionel Messi from Madrid
- Inmates awaiting trial congest prisons
- Globacom, Teleology Holdings lead in acquisition of 9mobile
- Oando faults SEC over forensic audit
- APC federal lawmaker backs Fayose against Buhari, NGF
- ECWA exposes plot by FG, states to cripple Christianity in northern Nigeria
- Paris Club Refund: 9 states yet to benefit
- 90% of cooking gas cylinders are obsolete, says NLPGI
- FG begs PENGASSAN to shelve strike
- How Successes In Agric Is Diversifying Nigeria's Economy, by VP Osinbajo
- 4 Easy Ways to Improve Your Posture
- David Mark Denies Receiving, Sharing N2bn Campaign Fund
- Face of Lagos Lady, A Lawyer, Arrested For Assaulting Housemaid
- This Beautiful Nigerian Woman Is Missing
- SO SAD! Burial Poster of Daughter & Mother Who Died While Travelling To Prepare For Her Wedding
- Buhari Receives 75th Birthday Card from VP Osinbajo, APC Governors (Photos)
- Family Fight Dirty Over Late Female Bank Manager’s Wealth... abandon her corpse
- Robbers Attack NLC Chairman’s House, Abduct His Wife
- Why Many "Uneducated" People Are More Successful In Business
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Navy recovers 1330 jerry cans of PMS as oil thieves hideout raided
- Military retires 403 personnel
- How former Senate president came under probe
- Fulani herdsmen attack Urohi community, machete man in farm
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves up 42% year to date
- Atiku Opens Chicken Cottages Fast-Food In Abuja (Photos)
- Top 10 Richest Nigerians In 2017... and their Net Worth
- People Attacking Nigerian Pastors Are Misguided - Samklef
- God Has Not Revealed Anything About Atiku for 2019 – Fr. Mbaka