Last year, we heard that the Pokémon franchise was getting ready to release its first ever live-action movie. Worrying and exciting in equal measure, the news is now looking more promising with the arrival of the ever-welcome Ryan Reynolds.
Detective Pikachu, expected to start filming in mid-January, will be based on the Japanese video game as a completely separate spin-off to the main TV series. For the flick, Pikachu will be portrayed as a kind of Sherlock Holmes figure with a penchant for solving all kinds of mysteries.
Beating a number of candidates also up for the part, including The Rock, Hugh Jackman and Mark Wahlberg, Reynolds will be starring as the Pikachu-shaped investigator.
Ryan Reynolds in Self/less. (Photo: Concorde Filmverleih GmbH)
The Deadpool actor will be starring alongside Justice Smith (The Get Down, Jurassic World 2) and Big Little Lies' Kathryn Newton. Rob Letterman, responsible for such classics as Shark Tale, Monsters vs. Aliens and Goosebumps, will be directing the movie.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Ryan's role will be shot in motion-capture while the rest of the cast will appear as normal humans.
The film will reportedly kick off with the kidnapping of Smith's character's father, forcing the teen to team up with Pikachu in order to track down the missing man. Newton will play "a sassy journalist who helps them on their quest."
Okay, so we're not 100% there for the plot but with Ryan Reynolds on board, how can it not be good?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari, Tinubu in supremacy battle
- Nigeria is a middle-income country, Adeosun corrects IMF
- 'Yahoo Boy' Lands In EFCC Net Over Alleged $22,000 Fraud
- Evil Taking Over Good In Nigeria - Soyinka On State Of The Nation
- 30 people dead as gunmen invade Zamfara
- Ladies Trafficked From Nigerian Turned Into Slaves In Morocco, Saudi Arabia
- Nigerian Man Attempts Suicide After Being Sentenced To Death
- Confusion As Angry Patients Hold Doctor, Others 'Hostage' At Enugu Hospital
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Married Woman Brutalized By Hoodlums In Lagos Market
- EFCC Chairman Magu Promoted To Commissioner of Police
- Mace Theft Saga: Senators plot total shut-out of Omo-Agege
- N10bn contractors’ payment: Adeosun debunks illegal transactions
- Skill acquisition: Lagos trains 18,184 women, youths in three years
- Why You Should Stop Worrying About Making A Big Impact
- We Are Not Lazy, Nigerian Youths Reply President Buhari
- Femi Falana Raises Alarm Over N1.4Trillion As Subsidy Monthly
- SARS Men "Torture" Man With A Pregnant Wife To Death
- 'NEPA' Fights Back: There'll Be Chaos If We Don't Continue Estimated Billing
- Pregnant Teenager, Pastor, Two Others Killed By Rivers Cultists
- 5 Ways To Identify Quality Ankara
- PDP Replies Buhari: Nigerian Youths Are Not Lazy
- Update On Senate Invasion & Mace Theft Saga
- Notorious Gang Leader, 20 Others Arrested
- Fayose, Obanikoro, Omisore Lose Over N2.2B; court freezes Fayose's accounts again
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Lagos completes 450 roads in three years
- Kidnapping: Evans‘ll not escape justice – Lagos Govt
- Lagos Waste: CSNAC asks EFCC to investigate ownership, operation of Visionscape
- Senate Mace Kidnap: When Nigeria lost 109 Senators in one swift terrorist attack
- EFCC about to sabotage own $1.6 bn suit against Omokore, others
- Osinbajo eulogizes Nigerian youths for great strides
- Lagos signs MoU to collate data of persons living with disabilities
- Court remands Buhari’s nominee in prison for alleged N182m fraud
- Shun purchase of pre-registered SIMs to avoid scammers, NCC warns
- Sterling Bank deepens investment culture, launches new mobile app
- AMBON set for official unveiling
- Access Bank increases ATM withdrawal limit abroad
- Mixed reaction trails Police recovery of stolen mace
- PDP in emergency meeting, may change name today