Last year, we heard that the Pokémon franchise was getting ready to release its first ever live-action movie. Worrying and exciting in equal measure, the news is now looking more promising with the arrival of the ever-welcome Ryan Reynolds.
Detective Pikachu, expected to start filming in mid-January, will be based on the Japanese video game as a completely separate spin-off to the main TV series. For the flick, Pikachu will be portrayed as a kind of Sherlock Holmes figure with a penchant for solving all kinds of mysteries.
Beating a number of candidates also up for the part, including The Rock, Hugh Jackman and Mark Wahlberg, Reynolds will be starring as the Pikachu-shaped investigator.
Ryan Reynolds in Self/less. (Photo: Concorde Filmverleih GmbH)
The Deadpool actor will be starring alongside Justice Smith (The Get Down, Jurassic World 2) and Big Little Lies' Kathryn Newton. Rob Letterman, responsible for such classics as Shark Tale, Monsters vs. Aliens and Goosebumps, will be directing the movie.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Ryan's role will be shot in motion-capture while the rest of the cast will appear as normal humans.
The film will reportedly kick off with the kidnapping of Smith's character's father, forcing the teen to team up with Pikachu in order to track down the missing man. Newton will play "a sassy journalist who helps them on their quest."
Okay, so we're not 100% there for the plot but with Ryan Reynolds on board, how can it not be good?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Lake Rice: Lagos signs agreement with major rice distributors
- Potential South African President elected ANC leader
- Buhari extends tenure of Service Chiefs
- FG Orders Arrest of Marketers Who Hoard Petrol
- CAF reveals top three shortlists for 2017 Awards
- MLF rebrands, unveils new multipurpose platform
- Heritage Bank receives CBN’s sustainable banking award in Agric
- Gridlock: Lagos CP orders deployment of officers to ease traffic
- CVFF, TMF: NIMASA DG lied over disbursement, says expert
- LASTMA arrests five officials for extortion
- Javier Mascherano set to leave Barca for China
- Ronaldo demands equity with Lionel Messi from Madrid
- Inmates awaiting trial congest prisons
- Globacom, Teleology Holdings lead in acquisition of 9mobile
- Oando faults SEC over forensic audit
- APC federal lawmaker backs Fayose against Buhari, NGF
- ECWA exposes plot by FG, states to cripple Christianity in northern Nigeria
- Paris Club Refund: 9 states yet to benefit
- 90% of cooking gas cylinders are obsolete, says NLPGI
- FG begs PENGASSAN to shelve strike
- How Successes In Agric Is Diversifying Nigeria's Economy, by VP Osinbajo
- 4 Easy Ways to Improve Your Posture
- David Mark Denies Receiving, Sharing N2bn Campaign Fund
- Face of Lagos Lady, A Lawyer, Arrested For Assaulting Housemaid
- This Beautiful Nigerian Woman Is Missing
- SO SAD! Burial Poster of Daughter & Mother Who Died While Travelling To Prepare For Her Wedding
- Buhari Receives 75th Birthday Card from VP Osinbajo, APC Governors (Photos)
- Family Fight Dirty Over Late Female Bank Manager’s Wealth... abandon her corpse
- Robbers Attack NLC Chairman’s House, Abduct His Wife
- Why Many "Uneducated" People Are More Successful In Business
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Navy recovers 1330 jerry cans of PMS as oil thieves hideout raided
- Military retires 403 personnel
- How former Senate president came under probe
- Fulani herdsmen attack Urohi community, machete man in farm
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves up 42% year to date
- Atiku Opens Chicken Cottages Fast-Food In Abuja (Photos)
- Top 10 Richest Nigerians In 2017... and their Net Worth
- People Attacking Nigerian Pastors Are Misguided - Samklef
- God Has Not Revealed Anything About Atiku for 2019 – Fr. Mbaka