Why do people travel to other countries to take part in marathons? If you say the goal is to win money, you’re right. But for James Waliaula, who is the first Kenyan runner to complete all the six World Marathon Majors, marathon running is all about fun and nothing else.
(Photo: Urban Swaras)
Before reaching that milestone in 2015 which etched his name on the runners’ lists in Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago and New York marathons, Waliaula was running just to cut down his weight. By the time he achieved that in 2013, he was already so into running that he couldn’t stop. So, he channeled the obsession into sports tourism.
Out of the marathons he’s taken part in, the 39-year-old achieved his personal best time of two hours, 48 minutes and 9 seconds at 2015 Tokyo Marathon.
The world’s unofficial fastest marathon of two hours and 25 seconds was run by his favourite professional marathon runner, Eliud Kipchoge at Breaking2. And, probably trying to push his luck any further, Waliaula wants to run a marathon in under two hours and 45 minutes – which is still one hell of an ambition.
(Photo: Urban Swaras)
As a member of the Urban Swaras running club in Nairobi, Waliaula has been in more than 12 countries where he has competed in races.
Although he enjoys running, he admits it’s not easy. He’s quoted by Daily Nation as saying:
“I must admit it can be costly, but the trick is to plan way ahead and start making savings in good time. The trips are always worth every penny!”
By planning his vacations around running events in the world, Waliaula has established himself as the envy of elite runners in Africa. But the story doesn’t end there for him as he’s now set on making history in ultra-marathons around the world.
(Photo: James Waliaula)
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Yoruba coalition against Buhari splits as Afenifere gets rival
- How Access Bank staff stole N1.2bn from customers – Witness
- Son kills mother over N20,000 pocket money in Lagos
- Multiple Accident In Front of Uyo Stadium Caused By Phone Call
- Kidnappers Think Mikel Gives Me Millions, He Doesn't Even Call Me - Father Opens Up
- Nigerians traumatized by your poor service, Fashola tells Discos
- Melaye seeking for cheap attention, says Bello
- Nigerian Army introduces “Happy Hour” to end inter security agencies clashes
- Dino Melaye 'Planned' Burning Of Classrooms He Built - Yahaya Bello
- See What An Angry Man Did To His Brand New Range Rover Over Misunderstanding
- Businesswoman Declares For 2019 Presidency In Abuja (Photos)
- Fans Pressure Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives - Saidi Balogun
- Oshiomhole, APC Governors Meet Kwankwaso; Urge Him Not To Dump Party (Photo)
- Distress call, Nigeria Air is already in debts
- Why I declared early for 2019 Presidential race 2019 – Buhari
- Atiku formally declares for 2019 Presidential race Saturday
- Another tragedy in Lagos: Train crushes commercial bus, three killed, many injured
- Osun 2018: Tinubu bounces back, cousin wins APC primary
- Dancing Senator, Adeleke's Alleged Certificate Saga: DSS Reacts
- Obasanjo To Women: Free Yourselves From ‘The Other Room'
- Man Arrested For Plotting His In-Law’s Kidnap, Murder
- Stranded Nigerians In Russia Return Home
- DPO, Policemen Beat Chief Magistrate, Lawyers For Discharging Robbery Suspects
- VP Osinbajo Orders 72-hour Joint Operation To Clear Apapa Traffic Gridlock
- Aregbesola’s Chief Of Staff Emerges Osun APC Governorship Candidate
- Man Arraigned For Dumping Fiancée After Duping Her
- Buhari Has Deceived Nigerians – Turaki
- UK Reacts To Ekiti Election: Vote-Buying As Bad As Rigging
- Five Important Baby Toy Safety Tips
- Buhari To Commission Bayelsa Airport With Longest Runway
- I'm Done With APC, No Going Back - Governor Ortom Declares
- Shock As Police Storm Hotel Im Delta, Nab Federal Prisons Staff, 6 Others For Kidnapping
- Son Kills Mother Over Money In Lagos
- How Buhari, APC Chairman, Governors Are Begging Saraki
- Here's The Girl Whose Body Was Dumped After She Was Killed By Her Boyfriend
- FG, States, Lgs Share N668.89b After FAAC Deadlock
- 'Kemi Adeosun's NYSC Certificate Is As Fake As Buhari's Integrity'
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- "It’s Not Our Responsibility" - Lagos BRT Staff Reply Passengers Over Dirtiness Of Bus
- Come Out Or We Declare You Wanted - Police Warns Dino Melaye