CONTROVERSY has trailed the death of a secondary school teacher in Anambra State, Miss Rita Odilinye of Starlight Secondary School, Ogidi in Idemili North local government area following reports that she was killed by the mother and a relation of her schoolgirl who she allegedly flogged for not carrying out her duty. Miss Odilinye was until her death, an Igbo language teacher and class mistress in the school.
A source in the school said the teacher come to the school only to discover that her class was not swept and when she asked the students in the class why the class was not swept, she was informed that it was the turn of one Chinaza Okafor to sweep the class.
The source said: “The students told her that Chinaza, who was supposed to sweep the class before going home the previous day after school dismissal as they used to do, did not sweep it. ” And when queried by the teacher, she proved stubborn in her response which angered the teacher and she flogged her. “As she was being flogged, she ran out of the class and scaled the school fence since the gate was locked. She made straight to their house where she reported to her mother that she was flogged by her teacher for not sweeping the classroom. “Furiously, the mother came to the school armed with sticks, accompanied by her daughter and one other person to revenge the flogging meted out to her daughter. “On arriving at the school, the mother could not see the teacher as she was said to have gone out to attend a meeting of private school administrators. “Efforts made by other teachers in the school to calm down the aggrieved persons and allow the school authorities to handle the case fell on deaf ears.” According to the source, as the aggrieved persons saw the teacher at the entrance of the school gate while she was returning from the meeting, they confronted her and during a scuffle, she slumped. It was gathered that she was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was confirmed dead. The Divisional Police Officer, DPO, in charge of the area, Mr. Mark Ijarafu who confirmed the incident, said investigation into the matter had begun. “We have arrested the mother, the daughter and one other person. The corpse of the teacher has been deposited at Iyi-Enu Hospital mortuary, while investigation is ongoing,” the DPO said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Order Saraki, Melaye, others to refund ‘illegal N13.5m allowance with interest’ – SERAP tells court
- Nigeria, Saudi Arabia in faceoff over attempts to block pilgrims
- Boateng: We can only stop Ronaldo as a team
- New corps members’ allowance dependent on new minimum wage – DG
- NSE marks Earth Day, seals corporate recycling MoU with RecyclePoints limited
- NCC withdraws 41m Starcomms, Zoom mobile, others numbers
- NBC accuses Daar Communications of violation, stops FM radio
- Herdsmen turn on Catholic church in Benue, kill 27 worshipers in 4 days
- Saraki, Senate abandon Melaye
- Zenith Bank’s Q1 results indicate strong improvements
- Henderson: Salah will stay to break more Liverpool records
- NSE: Equities record marginal decline, trend to continue if….
- 419 Gang Who Dupe People With Fake Currency Nabbed In Lagos
- Living The Life Of A True Christian Who Can Make Heaven
- Save Lagos Group laments infrastructure decay in primary schools
- Nigeria gets $1.5m interest on returned Abacha loot
- Who Left Over N1Billion In An Account But Can't Claim It?
- Ex-President Bush Hospitalized Days After Wife’s Death
- Offa Robbery Update: Affected Bank Sacks 5 Staff
- Man Escapes Tragic Death As Car Is Crushed By Big Truck
- There's A Plot To Kill Me - Dino Melaye Cries Out
- Offa Attack: Five bank staffers sacked; top police officers linked
- Bishop Oyedepo berates Buhari: Your government is a failure, God is angry with you
- The “approved” $1 billion for arms purchase
- Wading into the Oba-Emir Debate
- Melaye alleges plot to assassinate him
- Obama Foundation introduces new programme for emerging leaders in Africa
- APC Chairmanship: Oshiomhole’s candidature suffers setback
- Lagos Policemen Chased My Son To Death - Father
- Dino Melaye: They snatched my passport, I snatched it back
- EFCC Arrests Ibori’s Man, Senator Nwaoboshi Over N6B "Fraud"
- Lagos Security Man Arrested For Impregnating His Daughter
- Melaye trapped, helpless as police speaks on reinforced siege
- Dino Melaye surrenders
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Check out The Characteristics of a Good and Decent Hotel
- Saraki, Tambuwal Won’t Decamp To PDP - Governor
- Nigerian Lawmaker Loses 4 Kids, 7 Relatives In Fatal Accident
- Armed Policemen Storm Dino Melaye's House... Police give reason
- Lawmaker’s Suspension: What The Law Says