Olaleye Aluko, Abuja
The Nigerian Air Force, on Tuesday, said it had deployed two fighter aircraft – an Alpha Jet and an EC 135 attack helicopter – to the troubled communities of Adamawa State, to bomb what it called “hideouts of miscreants” in the villages.
The NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya, confirmed the deployment to The PUNCH, noting that the bombardment was “warning shots” rather than shooting to kill.
It was reported on Tuesday that scores of people were killed in Dong and Lawura villages in the Demsa Local Government Area of Adamawa State when rampaging Fulani militia attacked some communities, burning down no fewer than five villages.
Residents had confirmed the killing of a District Head and another village head by gunmen as the attackers reportedly set buildings on fire and damaged property.
The police in the state had confirmed the violence, but had yet to come out with the casualty figure.
The attacks on the villages, which entered its fifth day on Monday, reportedly witnessed air bombardment from the air force to stop the rampaging Fulani militia from entering into Numan.
Earlier on Monday, the police had confirmed that six police officers were killed in the attack between herdsmen and farmers.
“We lost six policemen in an ambush by suspected Fulani herdsmen. The police were on their way to Dowaya village, outside Numan (district), with the intention of disarming Fulani herders, who reports said were carrying arms.
“No arrests had been made in connection with the ambush,” Othman Abubakar, the Police Public Relations Officer, had said.
Adesanya noted that the deployment of the aircraft was “a continuous exercise.”
The NAF spokesman added, “We launched an attack both with our Alpha jet and the EC 135 helicopter. We were able to keep touch with the activities in the area. The deployment is a continuous exercise.
“We have an oversight function over the whole area to provide security. Before now, we had actually been doing constant air surveillance.
“Our intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance platforms reported the bombing of villages and the rest. The two helicopters are both involved.”
When asked if the air force could not mistakenly bomb fleeing villagers, the NAF spokesman said, “The air force exists to protect Nigerians, not to fight fellow Nigerians. How it is done is that we have a video recording of operations. It shows those who were actually attacked.
“There were more of warning shots – not shots to kill. Immediately the shots were fired, the miscreants realised fire was coming and they actually fled the area. I do not, at this time, have any casualty figure; all I know is that there was a positive effect of the missions.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari Appoints Ex-CBN Deputy Governor, Tunde Lemo, As FERMA Chairman
- Woman Who Just Got Married Killed In Katsina Flood, Body Found In Niger Republic
- Dino Melaye Ignores Threats, Commissions Projects In Kogi (Pics)
- We Fear For 2019: Ekiti Election Was For The Highest Bidder, says Anti-Corruption Group
- How Robber Charmed SARS Operatives To Escape From Custody - Robber's Girlfriend
- British Man Plots To Kill Female Prime Minister (Pics & Details)
- Tanker Loaded With Petrol Falls & Spills Content In Lagos; Apapa Residents Raise Alarm
- Finally, FG unveils name, logo of new national carrier
- STRANGE! Female Student Becomes 'Possessed' During Lecture, Loses Consciousness
- All PDP Presidential Aspirants Meet Gov. Tambuwal In Sokoto
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed
- Yummy Bread and Egg Recipe To Try Out
- NYSC Announces Date For Batch B, Stream 1 Orientation
- How Abuja Airport Road Has Sent Many People To Their Graves
- Dino Melaye Reacts To The Burning Down Of His School Projects By Hoodlums In Kogi
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari; Says The Govt. Is Incompetent, Confused
- Twin Brothers Die In Accident After Visiting Mother
- "We Now Have Facts On How Ekiti Election Was Rigged" – PDP
- IGP Idris Must End Killing Of Policemen Now – House of Reps
- Top Officials In Trouble As FG Uncovers N62.5bn Fraud In NSITF
- Senate Probes Kachikwu Over Alleged Oil & Gas "Deals"
- Police Arrest & Parade Suspected Kidnappers Of Chibokgirls
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Man Drives A Burning SUV From A Fire Scene In Lagos (Photos)
- First Ever Miss Nigeria, Grace Oyelude, Still Looking Graceful At 86
- Woman Walked Out Of This Accident, Husband Appreciates God
- FG Unveils New National Carrier, 'Nigerian Air' In London
- Benue 2019: Ortom battles for survival