Olaleye Aluko, Abuja
The Nigerian Air Force, on Tuesday, said it had deployed two fighter aircraft – an Alpha Jet and an EC 135 attack helicopter – to the troubled communities of Adamawa State, to bomb what it called “hideouts of miscreants” in the villages.
The NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya, confirmed the deployment to The PUNCH, noting that the bombardment was “warning shots” rather than shooting to kill.
It was reported on Tuesday that scores of people were killed in Dong and Lawura villages in the Demsa Local Government Area of Adamawa State when rampaging Fulani militia attacked some communities, burning down no fewer than five villages.
Residents had confirmed the killing of a District Head and another village head by gunmen as the attackers reportedly set buildings on fire and damaged property.
The police in the state had confirmed the violence, but had yet to come out with the casualty figure.
The attacks on the villages, which entered its fifth day on Monday, reportedly witnessed air bombardment from the air force to stop the rampaging Fulani militia from entering into Numan.
Earlier on Monday, the police had confirmed that six police officers were killed in the attack between herdsmen and farmers.
“We lost six policemen in an ambush by suspected Fulani herdsmen. The police were on their way to Dowaya village, outside Numan (district), with the intention of disarming Fulani herders, who reports said were carrying arms.
“No arrests had been made in connection with the ambush,” Othman Abubakar, the Police Public Relations Officer, had said.
Adesanya noted that the deployment of the aircraft was “a continuous exercise.”
The NAF spokesman added, “We launched an attack both with our Alpha jet and the EC 135 helicopter. We were able to keep touch with the activities in the area. The deployment is a continuous exercise.
“We have an oversight function over the whole area to provide security. Before now, we had actually been doing constant air surveillance.
“Our intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance platforms reported the bombing of villages and the rest. The two helicopters are both involved.”
When asked if the air force could not mistakenly bomb fleeing villagers, the NAF spokesman said, “The air force exists to protect Nigerians, not to fight fellow Nigerians. How it is done is that we have a video recording of operations. It shows those who were actually attacked.
“There were more of warning shots – not shots to kill. Immediately the shots were fired, the miscreants realised fire was coming and they actually fled the area. I do not, at this time, have any casualty figure; all I know is that there was a positive effect of the missions.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Atiku Spotted At 2019 Presidency Strategic Meeting
- Shehu Sani Joins New Party After Dumping APC
- Beautiful Cars of Popular "Silent" Comic Actor Mr. Bean
- Buhari and Ambode At The ECOWAS Border Post (Photos)
- Scam Uncovered In Federal Civil Service Commission Abuja
- Oshiomhole Begs Court: Reject Suit Seeking To Probe Me For Corruption
- $8.1bn scandal: CBN working with MTN to resolve crisis- Minister
- Saraki's Candidate for Kwara, Razak Atunwa Reacts To NYSC Certificate "Forgery" Saga
- Good Man Beaten To Death While Trying To Stop Hoodlum From R*ping A Woman
- Presidency In Panic Over Mass Defections of APC Men In Kano
- PHOTO: 9 Die In Fatal Accident On Lagos/Ibadan Expressway
- Female Corper Gets Apology From Principal Who Flogged Her; he says it was just anger
- Abuja Rail Can't Speed Above 90km/hr Because We Don't Want To Kill Cows - Amaechi
- Jonathan Invites Buhari, Obasanjo, Atiku To Launch
- Man Turns Neighbour’s 16-Year-Old Daughter To S*x Slave
- APC Lied, We Didn’t Take Zamfara List From Them – INEC
- TEARS! Mother & Her 2 Kids, Others Perish In Terrible Accident
- Pjanic: CR7 learned simplicity from scholes
- Hamilton’s fifth title on hold as Raikkonen shocks star to victory
- Chelsea player’s must must ease burden on hazard, Willian admits
- Good Luck to Real & Barca in signing Neymar – Marquinhos
- Sarri: Chelsea Fans must respect Mourinho
- Isco: We can’t cry over Cristiano
- Barcelona President: Neymar is not welcomed
- Iniesta leaves NIKE, signs with ASCIS
- Ranked! Top 10 EPL goalkeeper’s
- Federer reveals long-standing hand injury
- Blood Flows As Fight Breaks Out At A Popular Nigerian Bar In Ghana (Graphic Photos)
- DSS Breaks Silence On Nnamdi Kanu's Escape
- Buhari's Friend & DG of VON, Osita Okechukwu hits Oshiomhole
- President Buhari Arrives in Lagos
- Ogun APC: Amosun draws battle line with Tinubu, others
- Truck accidents hurt Nigeria’s economy–Report
- DSS fighting to clear self over Kanu’s escape allegation
- Why Is Buhari Always Protecting "Corrupt" NHIS Boss?
- Supreme Court Hits Hard On APC
- Inspector General of Police's Candidate For DIG Rejected
- Ekweremadu Fights Saraki? To Work For APC, Presidency
- Why Court Order Nigeria Police To Pay Charly Boy N50mllion