Residents of Eletu Odibo Street, Abule- Ijesha, Yaba, Lagos State, told PUNCH Metro on Tuesday that contrary to the state police command’s claim, a young man was indeed shot by an operative of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
They said the victim, who is popularly called Number One, is the leader of some street urchins (area boys) in the neighborhood.
PUNCH Metro had written a report on a 15-second viral video showing some SARS operatives in a black bus being chased by a mob, who threw stones at them.
One Charley, who posted the video on Twitter, had said that the violent protest erupted last Thursday after one of the SARS men shot the victim.
Charley, however, did not indicate the exact location of the incident.
The Lagos State Police Command had described the allegation “as a ruse,” saying the incident was not reported to the police.
The spokesperson for the command, SP Chike Oti, had said, “The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Ag. CP Edgal Imohimi, wishes to assure the general public that such an event did not happen in Yaba or in any part of the state. Also, it was not reported at any police formation within the Lagos State Police Command.
“The Divisional Police Officers in charge of Yaba and Adekunle police stations, in whose areas the shooting purportedly took place, have jointly debunked the allegation as a ruse.”
But a reader, who commented on PUNCH Online on Monday, confirmed that the incident happened on Eletu Odibo Street, Abule-Ijesha.
Our correspondent, who visited the area on Tuesday, was told by some residents that the shooting, indeed, took place and that some youths in the area staged a protest at the Sabo Police Station.
Although most of the residents approached by PUNCH Metro were afraid to give details of the incident, a commercial motorcyclist, who gave his name only as Daniel, said the policemen had an altercation with Number One and his boys on that day.
He said one of the cops was cocking his gun in the heat of the argument when a bullet discharged accidentally, hitting Number One in the arm.
He said, “There was a disagreement between the SARS policemen and the area boys. As one of the policemen was cocking his gun, it suddenly fired and the bullet hit Number One in the arm; it was not intentional. It happened on Thursday morning. All the area boys mobilised and went to the Sabo Police Station on motorcycles to protest. But I do not know the outcome of the protest.”
Another resident, a woman who sells drinks, said she learnt about the incident on Friday when she opened her shop.
The woman, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “I was not at my shop on that day. It was when I got to the shop the following day that people told me some SARS operatives came and that Number One was shot. If you want to know more, meet his men.”
Our correspondent approached the men and requested to speak to Number One, but they declined.
“He was shot by the police. That is all I can tell you,” one of them said.
Further entreaties made by PUNCH Metro to elicit more details from the men were met with aggression as another youth said, “What happened now? Did they send you to us?”
The mobile phone of the Lagos State Police Command spokesperson, Oti, rang out. He had yet to reply to a text message informing him of the exact area that the incident took place.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari should apologise to Atiku – Sen. Shehu Sani
- Search of Atiku, an attack on Opposition – Peter Obi
- CBN, NDIC monitor investigation of Skye Bank directors
- 2019: INEC in dilemma over security risk in North East
- 2019: Human Rights Community sensitizes voters against vote buying
- 2019: How APC plot to hinder Atiku from moving funds – PDP
- Pretty Lady & Her Fiance Share Cute Pre-wedding Photos
- Saraki must vacant senate presidency, Oshiomhole insists
- I'll Avoid Trial Until FG Obeys My Bail Rulings - Ex-NSA Dasuki Tells Court
- See Popular Actor John Dumelo's Farm
- Buhari Attacks Kwankwaso, Accuses Him Of Diverting Kano Funds For Campaign
- Female Speaker Of Anambra Assembly Impeached
- 2019 Election: INEC, Police, civil society calls for peace
- LG is meant to be autonomous from the state – Obasanjo
- Okorocha engages Oshiomhole in crossfire
- Allegri: I hope to stay for a long time
- Messi: Anyone can get beaten
- Conte: Real Madrid’s job is not good for me
- Joachim Low: we want to return to wining ways
- 2019: Youths declared APC obituary in Akwa Ibom
- Panic as poisoned food flood Nigerian markets
- Akeredolu declares war on journalists, bans coverage of government activities
- See 13 things Bankyw said after he announced his political ambition
- Aremu Afolayan slams Buhari, Governor Ambode over inefficient airport staff
- Thierry Henry: Monaco must stay positive despite struggles
- Oil prices determined to stay within $80
- Suarez fight with Barca star after loss
- Hazard: World Cup heroics drained me
- Higuain’s brutal revenge on CR7 for Juventus exit turned sour
- Sergio Busquets’ classy message to Real Betis manager after Barcelona’s 4-3 loss
- Man Allegedly Commits Suicide After Losing Church Money
- Police Arrest Four 'One Chance' Suspects, Female Underwear Found On Them
- Identical Twins Graduate With First Class From University Of Ibadan (Photos)
- 2019: Akwa Ibom Govt accuses EFCC of working for APC
- Fashola renders account of three years stewardship
- 2019: Peter Obi warns El-Rufai to stop Hate Speech
- Am fighting for state police – Osinbajo
- How N5m gift from a Facebook ‘Good Samaritan’ took me to jail
- 4 reasons women prefer these pot-belly-men to regular 6-pack-men
- Nigeria’s greatest problem is corruption, not restructuring- Osinbajo