Residents of Eletu Odibo Street, Abule- Ijesha, Yaba, Lagos State, told PUNCH Metro on Tuesday that contrary to the state police command’s claim, a young man was indeed shot by an operative of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
They said the victim, who is popularly called Number One, is the leader of some street urchins (area boys) in the neighborhood.
PUNCH Metro had written a report on a 15-second viral video showing some SARS operatives in a black bus being chased by a mob, who threw stones at them.
One Charley, who posted the video on Twitter, had said that the violent protest erupted last Thursday after one of the SARS men shot the victim.
Charley, however, did not indicate the exact location of the incident.
The Lagos State Police Command had described the allegation “as a ruse,” saying the incident was not reported to the police.
The spokesperson for the command, SP Chike Oti, had said, “The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Ag. CP Edgal Imohimi, wishes to assure the general public that such an event did not happen in Yaba or in any part of the state. Also, it was not reported at any police formation within the Lagos State Police Command.
“The Divisional Police Officers in charge of Yaba and Adekunle police stations, in whose areas the shooting purportedly took place, have jointly debunked the allegation as a ruse.”
But a reader, who commented on PUNCH Online on Monday, confirmed that the incident happened on Eletu Odibo Street, Abule-Ijesha.
Our correspondent, who visited the area on Tuesday, was told by some residents that the shooting, indeed, took place and that some youths in the area staged a protest at the Sabo Police Station.
Although most of the residents approached by PUNCH Metro were afraid to give details of the incident, a commercial motorcyclist, who gave his name only as Daniel, said the policemen had an altercation with Number One and his boys on that day.
He said one of the cops was cocking his gun in the heat of the argument when a bullet discharged accidentally, hitting Number One in the arm.
He said, “There was a disagreement between the SARS policemen and the area boys. As one of the policemen was cocking his gun, it suddenly fired and the bullet hit Number One in the arm; it was not intentional. It happened on Thursday morning. All the area boys mobilised and went to the Sabo Police Station on motorcycles to protest. But I do not know the outcome of the protest.”
Another resident, a woman who sells drinks, said she learnt about the incident on Friday when she opened her shop.
The woman, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “I was not at my shop on that day. It was when I got to the shop the following day that people told me some SARS operatives came and that Number One was shot. If you want to know more, meet his men.”
Our correspondent approached the men and requested to speak to Number One, but they declined.
“He was shot by the police. That is all I can tell you,” one of them said.
Further entreaties made by PUNCH Metro to elicit more details from the men were met with aggression as another youth said, “What happened now? Did they send you to us?”
The mobile phone of the Lagos State Police Command spokesperson, Oti, rang out. He had yet to reply to a text message informing him of the exact area that the incident took place.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants