Ade Adesomoju, Abuja
A former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Mr. Olisa Metuh, insisted before the Federal High Court in Abuja, on Tuesday, his further testimony in his ongoing trial would be dependent on what former President Goodluck Jonathan would tell the court in respect of the case.
His lawyer, Mr. Emeka Etiaba (SAN), and the counsel representing his company –Destra Investments Limited – Mr. Tochukwu Onwugbufor (SAN), had earlier said this before the court on Monday.
But the trial judge, Justice Okon Abang, had, in a ruling on Monday, dismissed the submission as unknown to law.
The judge maintained his position on Tuesday and ordered Metuh to continue his defence on Wednesday (today), while the court bailiff would make another attempt to serve Jonathan on December 11.
“Whether a party will call a witness or not cannot be predicated on the evidence of a witness yet to be called,” Justice Abang ruled again on Tuesday.
But Etiaba said he would appeal against the judge’s decisions.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had alleged in some of the seven counts preferred against Metuh and his company, Destra Investments Limited, that the ex-PDP spokesperson fraudulently received the sum of N400m from the Office of the National Security Adviser without any justification.
The EFCC also alleged that Metuh spent the funds on the party and for personal affairs.
The accused person was also accused of transacting business with $2m cash said to be above the threshold of cash payments prescribed by the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act.
But Metuh had insisted that both the then NSA, Sambo Dasuki, who released the sum of N400m and Jonathan, who allegedly authorised the payment, were required to testify in the case.
While the summons served on Dasuki had been successfully executed, following which the ex-NSA had testified in the case, the court bailiff had yet to be able to serve Jonathan personally.
On Monday, while ordering the court bailiff to make another attempt to serve Jonathan with the witness summons, the judge insisted that the trial must continue with Metuh either testifying himself or calling on another witness other than the former President as his next witness.
The judge then fixed Tuesday for continuation of trial.
But at the resumed hearing on Tuesday, Metuh’s lawyer, Etiaba, insisted that Metuh still wanted Jonathan to first testify before deciding on whether or not he would personally testify in the case.
Etiaba stated, “This morning, we are unable to produce a witness for continuation of trial for two reasons.
“First, we have a witness on subpoena in the person of Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR, former President of Nigeria, who is a vital witness for the first defendant and after his testimony, we will appraise the case of the first defendant with a view to making up our minds as to whether we will need further testimony of the first defendant or another witness.
“Yesterday (Monday) an order was made by this honourable court for the subpoena to be personally served on December 11, 2017 in line with the affidavit deposed to by the bailiff of this honourable court.”
The lawyer added that Metuh could not also testify on Monday, because a document he sought to rely on was in the custody of one his aides, Sam Nwosu, who was said to have travelled to Anambra State for the PDP congress.
“In the circumstance, we apply for an adjournment to enable the first defendant to present his defence guaranteed under Section 36(6)(b) and (d) of the Constitution.”
Supporting Etiaba’s submissions, Onwugbufor said it was not for the court to choose for Metuh “which witness to call first, when to call the witness or if the defendant himself wants to give evidence.”
Responding, EFCC’s prosecuting counsel, Mr. Sylvanus Tahir, opposed the application for adjournment.
He described the application as untenable and lame.
Ruling, Justice Abang said rather than compel Metuh to present another witness on Tuesday, he would adjourn in the interest of justice until Wednesday to enable Metuh to call another witness.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019: PDP at crossroads
- Nigeria envoy wants citizens banned from Saudi Arabia
- Nigeria’s economy still struggling, says expert
- House deputy Speaker fumes, states position on defection from APC
- Yinka Ayefele’s FM Continues Broadcasting Despite Demolition
- See How A Female Soldier Brutalize Her Househelp In Lagos
- FIFA Ban : Who can save Nigeria from herself ?
- Oyo state government demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s radio station
- FCMB staff abscond with N500m customers’ deposits
- Buhari writes to NASS, threatens to jail anybody found corrupt
- Buhari’s Kinsmen Pressurising Him To Reinstate Sacked Daura — Junaid Mohammed
- Police Headquarters To Conduct Psychiatric Test On SARS
- Craziest thing I’ve done was slapping my father – Femi Adebayo
- Killer Herdsmen Engage Soldiers In Heavy Shoot Out
- PHOTOS: Yinka Ayefele's Building Demolished By Oyo Government
- Okorocha Facing Tough Times In Bid For His Son-in-Law
- I am not happy taking key players to foreign clubs –Coach Boboye
- I want NPFL to kick off —Coach Fidelis
- Kada City James Joseph, 3 others jet out for trials in Dubai, Turkey
- Club owners , others storm Imo for Heartland FC boss
- Wilder ready for Fury this year
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Top Tips For Pregnant Travellers
- Female Presidential aspirant, Eunice Atuejide suspended by party over "corruption"
- Nigerian Who Escaped Death Penalty In Malaysia, Re-Arrested
- Sad Tales Of Delta Schoolgirls Lured Into Pros-titution In Lagos
- Buhari Returns To Aso Rock, Moves To Take Action On Daura
- Where there are women, there will be evil – Actress Liz Anjorin
- Saraki, Dogara Plan Joint Session To Avert Impeachment?
- Tears Of Nigerian Journalists: The Gory Tales Under Buhari
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed