The trial-within-trial in a case involving one Dairo Samson, who is facing eight counts of theft, criminal breach of trust and advance fee fraud continued on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 before Justice A. R. Mohammed of the Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Jabi, Abuja.
The defendant allegedly defrauded the Federal Government to the tune of N11.3million.
Samson’s arrest and subsequent prosecution by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, was sequel to a petition dated February 23, 2016 from Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, requesting for “payroll fraud investigation” as part of efforts to unravel various techniques used by fraudsters to defraud the Nigerian government.
Samson was said to have committed the fraud between 2013 and 2017 in connivance with one Saliu Olushola (aka Nokia), using various aliases including Momoh Hassan, Umar Musa and Umar Obele Musa.
In one of his numerous atrocities, Samson allegedly stole N5,673,503.64 from the Federal Government by creating fictitious accounts for salaries and allowances, using his various aliases.
The offence is contrary to Section 287 of the Penal Code Act, Laws of Federation 2004.
Arraigned on Tuesday, March 7, 2017, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges, thereby setting a stage for the prosecution to present its witnesses.
Testifying, Adamu Garba, who investigated the case, told the court that Samson was among “ghost workers” using fictitious names and account numbers to collect salaries from the Federal Ministry of Finance, Federal Ministry of Works, and the National Population Commission.
Garba, who testified as the first prosecution witness told the court that Samson was arrested at a new generation bank in Lagos, at the instance of the EFCC, and handed over to the Commission on March 22, 2016.
The defendant however challenged the voluntariness of the statement obtained from him by the EFCC, prompting Justice Mohammed to order for commencement of a trial-within-trial.
In the trial-within-trial which began on September 21, 2017, counsel to the EFCC, Deborah Eteh tendered documents including bail application, bail condition and bail bond signed by Samson, which were all admitted as exhibits.
At today’s sitting, Eteh further argued to the effect that the statement of the defendant was voluntarily rendered. She also tendered in evidence, an internal memo for a request for the remand of Samson dated March 2016, which the court admitted as exhibits PW1 U1.
Thereafter, Justice Mohammed adjourned to January 24, 2018 for further trial.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation
- Okorocha's Suspension By APC: Angry Reactions
- Buhari Govt Goes After Atiku, To Now Quiz Him For Corruption... Atiku calls it "Cock & Bull" Story
- Lagos Businessman Accused Of R*pe Cries Out, Commits Suicide
- CJN Onnoghen To Be Arrested? FG Asks Court To Sack Him
- Oshiomhole, El-Rufai Attack Atiku Over Trip To America
- Amaechi Replies Wike For Saying He Plotted CJN's Removal