The trial-within-trial in a case involving one Dairo Samson, who is facing eight counts of theft, criminal breach of trust and advance fee fraud continued on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 before Justice A. R. Mohammed of the Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Jabi, Abuja.
The defendant allegedly defrauded the Federal Government to the tune of N11.3million.
Samson’s arrest and subsequent prosecution by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, was sequel to a petition dated February 23, 2016 from Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, requesting for “payroll fraud investigation” as part of efforts to unravel various techniques used by fraudsters to defraud the Nigerian government.
Samson was said to have committed the fraud between 2013 and 2017 in connivance with one Saliu Olushola (aka Nokia), using various aliases including Momoh Hassan, Umar Musa and Umar Obele Musa.
In one of his numerous atrocities, Samson allegedly stole N5,673,503.64 from the Federal Government by creating fictitious accounts for salaries and allowances, using his various aliases.
The offence is contrary to Section 287 of the Penal Code Act, Laws of Federation 2004.
Arraigned on Tuesday, March 7, 2017, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges, thereby setting a stage for the prosecution to present its witnesses.
Testifying, Adamu Garba, who investigated the case, told the court that Samson was among “ghost workers” using fictitious names and account numbers to collect salaries from the Federal Ministry of Finance, Federal Ministry of Works, and the National Population Commission.
Garba, who testified as the first prosecution witness told the court that Samson was arrested at a new generation bank in Lagos, at the instance of the EFCC, and handed over to the Commission on March 22, 2016.
The defendant however challenged the voluntariness of the statement obtained from him by the EFCC, prompting Justice Mohammed to order for commencement of a trial-within-trial.
In the trial-within-trial which began on September 21, 2017, counsel to the EFCC, Deborah Eteh tendered documents including bail application, bail condition and bail bond signed by Samson, which were all admitted as exhibits.
At today’s sitting, Eteh further argued to the effect that the statement of the defendant was voluntarily rendered. She also tendered in evidence, an internal memo for a request for the remand of Samson dated March 2016, which the court admitted as exhibits PW1 U1.
Thereafter, Justice Mohammed adjourned to January 24, 2018 for further trial.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria Banks missing among Africa’s best
- Buhari bears fangs, finally replies Obasanjo
- CBN retains interest rate at 14%
- Metuh’s lawyer back to court after withdrawing as his counsel
- Police close in on remaining 2 gang leaders of Offa bank robbery after arresting two
- Nigerian cult group driving sex trafficking trade in Italy
- Focus on getting fundamentals right for the Future readiness of our children
- APC paralle Congresses: Bindow, Boss, Nyako, Babachir and matters arising in Adamawa
- How FG failed in its promise to unbundle NNPC
- Maritime industry present great opportunity for economic rebirth, says Dakuku Peterside
- Maintenance, repair, overhaul facilities will boost aviation industry – Minister
- MasterCard Foundation to empower 30m young Africans
- Tackling the Unemployment situation in Africa by boosting Future readiness
- Ensure peace, security in your communities – Ambode urges Traditional Rulers
- Smugglers make $500m smuggling people into US
- Lagos Police Command nab cybercrime kingpin
- Rising crude oil price fails to boost Nigeria’s economy
- Army, Police contain IPOB threat to Ohaneze’s summit on restructuring
- Herdsmen killings: Christian Network raises alarm of looming anarchy
- Police nab Offa robbery key suspects
- Presidential race 2019: Obasanjo takes anti-Buhari campaign to Afenifere Leader, Fasoranti
- Tinubu mandates new APC Executive in Lagos to promote unity
- Top Healthy Snacks For Kids
- Boko Haram still control parts of North East Nigeria
- Buhari to receive 2018 budget this week – Reps
- $15 million: Jonathan’s suit against EFCC stalled
- Coalition protests in Ilorin in support of IGP Idris
- Story Of Woman Who Was "Sacked" For Giving Birth To Triplets
- Medical Doctor turned Thief defrauds car dealer N28m, arrested by Police in Lagos
- Olisa Metuh Collapses In Court, Judge Reacts Angrily
- Woman Drugs, Kidnaps Friend After Luring Her To Hotel In Lagos
- Obasanjo visits Afenifere leaders: "We have to rescue Nigeria"
- You must marry corpse of our daughter – family tells boyfriend
- Explore Nigeria With These Top Four Tour Operators
- Buhari To Lead 1 Million Nigerians For Democracy Walk
- Dino Melaye: I Was Never Framed Up, Arraigned For Fighting GEJ
- Offa Robbery: Police Finally Nab Two Notorious Leaders
- Woman Rescued From Suspected Kidnappers, Ritualists In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity