In 2017, a sequel to the problematic 1988 rom-com, Coming To America, was announced to be in the works. The sequel was confirmed to be written by acclaimed Black-ish creator and Girls Trip screenwriter, Kenya Barris.
At the time of the announcement, Eddie Murphy's participation was not confirmed, but now we know that he will officially be reprising his iconic role as Prince Akeem. The sequel will also be directed by Hustle and Flow director, Craig Brewer.
Eddie Murphy in 'Coming to America' (Image: Paramount Pictures)
The intention is to bring back the original cast, which includes Arsenio Hall, who played the prince’s aide; Shari Headley, who was courted by the prince when he went undercover as a fast food worker; John Amos, who played her father; and James Earl Jones, who played the king.
The original film, which was a huge commercial success, followed Prince Akeem Joffer, the crown prince of Zamunda (just one of the 111 fictional African countries Hollywood has created for us so far), who moves to the United States with the hopes of finding a woman he can marry.
The sequel, according to Entertainment Weekly, will revolve around Murphy’s Prince Akeem returning to America to seek out his long-lost son, the heir to the throne of Zamunda. We really hope the sequel's portrayal of Africa and Africans will be more nuanced than its predecessor.
Speaking about returning for the sequel, Eddie Murphy said:
"After many years of anticipation, I’m thrilled that Coming to America 2 is officially moving forward.
We’ve assembled a great team that will be led by Craig Brewer, who just did an amazing job on Dolemite [Is My Name], and I’m looking forward to bringing all these classic and beloved characters back to the big screen."
As an African, I can't say the same. We'd rather let problematic dogs lie.
Tech and politics. Is there even a difference between the two?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation
- Okorocha's Suspension By APC: Angry Reactions
- Buhari Govt Goes After Atiku, To Now Quiz Him For Corruption... Atiku calls it "Cock & Bull" Story
- Lagos Businessman Accused Of R*pe Cries Out, Commits Suicide
- CJN Onnoghen To Be Arrested? FG Asks Court To Sack Him
- Oshiomhole, El-Rufai Attack Atiku Over Trip To America
- Amaechi Replies Wike For Saying He Plotted CJN's Removal
- Atiku Grants First Interview In US, Reveals Why He Didn't Travel To America In 10 Years
- See Pretty Lady Who Lost Her Life While Saving Others (Photos)
- 27 committees to wirk for Atiku’s victory
- Melaye granted bail
- 2019: Jennifer Atiku takes presidential campaign to Southeast
- Mourinho settles Messi vs Ronaldo debate
- Solskjaer warns Man Utd players over complacency
- Atiku holds meeting with US Government officials
- Atiku suffers another defeat as Yar Adua’s group drum support for Buhari
- Banks process 1.4 bn electronic transactions valued at N97.4 trn – Emefiele
- Delta Airlines releases 4th Qtr, full year 2018 results, records $5.1b income in 2018
- NDLEA apprehends 178 drug offenders, secures 29 convictions in Sokoto
- Dino Melaye Granted Bail By Abuja Judge
- 2019: Rivers, Zamfara APC candidates missing on INEC final list
- Buhari plots against Atiku
- 2019: Why Obiano is working for Buhari