About a year ago, it was announced that Chiwetel Ejiofor will voice Scar in the live-action remake of The Lion King, and we've been hyped ever since. Well, it turns out Ejiofor won't be the first British-Nigerian actor voicing the iconic villain, as David Oyelowo beat him to it.
In 2017, Oyelowo, the gifted actor known for his fantastic performances in acclaimed dramas like Selma and Queen of Katwe, was cast as the voice of Scar in the sophomore season of Disney Junior's animated kids series, The Lion Guard.
(Photo: Disney Junior/Phil McCarten)
The Lion Guard follows Kion and his friends in their adventures in the Pride Lands. The son of Simba, Kion has been made the leader of the lion guard. The job comes with great responsibility, as he's responsible for protecting the Pride Lands from both inner and outer threats.
Speaking about working on the film and voicing the character, Oyelowo said:
"The Lion King is, of course, a classic, so in terms of me wanting to be involved with The Lion Guard, it was kind of a no-brainer.
With Scar, he passed away in the film, but we found a way to bring him back. He is still a malevolent, menacing character who is still trying to break the circle of life.
To not only be in The Lion Guard, but to get to sing in it as well is really quite special."
Oyelowo is no stranger to voice-over work. He not only made history as the first black James Bond — courtesy of his audiobook work — but he regularly performs the role of Agent Kallus in Star Wars: Rebels, and has hit the recording booth for Robot Chicken and Glenn Martin DDS.
Here's a look at David Oyelowo as Scar:[embedded content]
Tech and politics. Is there even a difference between the two?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation
- Okorocha's Suspension By APC: Angry Reactions
- Buhari Govt Goes After Atiku, To Now Quiz Him For Corruption... Atiku calls it "Cock & Bull" Story
- Lagos Businessman Accused Of R*pe Cries Out, Commits Suicide
- CJN Onnoghen To Be Arrested? FG Asks Court To Sack Him
- Oshiomhole, El-Rufai Attack Atiku Over Trip To America
- Amaechi Replies Wike For Saying He Plotted CJN's Removal
- Atiku Grants First Interview In US, Reveals Why He Didn't Travel To America In 10 Years
- See Pretty Lady Who Lost Her Life While Saving Others (Photos)
- 27 committees to wirk for Atiku’s victory
- Melaye granted bail
- 2019: Jennifer Atiku takes presidential campaign to Southeast
- Mourinho settles Messi vs Ronaldo debate
- Solskjaer warns Man Utd players over complacency
- Atiku holds meeting with US Government officials
- Atiku suffers another defeat as Yar Adua’s group drum support for Buhari
- Banks process 1.4 bn electronic transactions valued at N97.4 trn – Emefiele
- Delta Airlines releases 4th Qtr, full year 2018 results, records $5.1b income in 2018
- NDLEA apprehends 178 drug offenders, secures 29 convictions in Sokoto
- Dino Melaye Granted Bail By Abuja Judge
- 2019: Rivers, Zamfara APC candidates missing on INEC final list
- Buhari plots against Atiku
- 2019: Why Obiano is working for Buhari