The number of African billionaires has shrunk to just 20, down from 23 a year ago, because of plunging stock prices and weaker currencies, and honestly, our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families during this very difficult time.
As for Aliko Dangote, while he is also mourning the loss of a few billions, he's still Africa’s richest person (for the eighth year in a row), according to Forbes. His estimated $10.3 billion net worth is about $2 billion less than a year ago, due to a 20% drop in the stock price of Dangote Cement.
(Photo: Page One)
Africa's second-richest person is Mike Adenuga, also from Nigeria, worth an estimated $9.2 billion (an increase from last year's$5.3 billion). He owns telecoms company, Globacom; oil exploration firm, Conoil; extensive real estate in Nigeria; and a network of 12,000 cellphone towers.
In third place on the list is diamond heir, Nicky Oppenheimer of South Africa, whose grandfather founded diamond mining firm, DeBeers, which Nicky ran and then sold to mining giant, Anglo American for $5.1 billion cash in 2012. He is currently worth an estimated $7.3 billion.
Folorunsho Alakija is the only Nigerian woman on the list, coming in at number 19 with $1.1 billion. Zimbabwe's Strive Masiyiwa, founder of Econet Wireless, is also on the list, and is richer than a year ago. He's now worth an estimated $2.3 billion, up from $1.6 billion last year.
In a per country ranking, Egypt and South Africa are tied with five billionaires each, followed by Nigeria with four and Morocco with two. Forbes found one billionaire each from Algeria, Angola, Tanzania and Zimbabwe. For the most part, they all credit grit and hard-work for their fortunes.
Tech and politics. Is there even a difference between the two?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation
- Okorocha's Suspension By APC: Angry Reactions
- Buhari Govt Goes After Atiku, To Now Quiz Him For Corruption... Atiku calls it "Cock & Bull" Story
- Lagos Businessman Accused Of R*pe Cries Out, Commits Suicide
- CJN Onnoghen To Be Arrested? FG Asks Court To Sack Him
- Oshiomhole, El-Rufai Attack Atiku Over Trip To America
- Amaechi Replies Wike For Saying He Plotted CJN's Removal
- Atiku Grants First Interview In US, Reveals Why He Didn't Travel To America In 10 Years
- See Pretty Lady Who Lost Her Life While Saving Others (Photos)
- 27 committees to wirk for Atiku’s victory
- Melaye granted bail
- 2019: Jennifer Atiku takes presidential campaign to Southeast
- Mourinho settles Messi vs Ronaldo debate
- Solskjaer warns Man Utd players over complacency