The 2019 presidential candidate of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN), Obiageli Ezekwesili, has taken a stance on issues concerning the LGBT community in Nigeria. She said, yesterday, during an interactive session in the United Kingdom, that social justice in her government will include members of the LGBT community.
(Photo: Premium Times Nigeria)
In the interview with activist, Bisi Alimi, she was asked if the Nigeria of her dreams will include members of the LGBT Community. Her answer:
"I absolutely believe in the fact that everyone is entitled to equal opportunity. So, at the realm of public policy, it wouldn’t matter to me what your belief is...it’s basically the fact that equality of opportunity will define my time in government.
I believe that equality of opportunity offers everyone the right to live. It offers everyone the right to aspire. That will definitely be the way that I will run the government that I shall lead."
Here's why this is important: No other candidate in Nigeria has ever admitted to subscribing to the equal treatment of people within the LGBT community, and not eventually walked it back.
Another presidential hopeful, Donald Duke, retracted his indication of support after pressure from Nigerians on and off social media. In Nigeria, we still have the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Act, which sentences anyone who enters into a gay marriage to a 14-year jail sentence.
Ms. Ezekwesili, despite being a Christian, whose religious beliefs are no doubt contrary (as is the defence of every homophobic Nigerian), is putting the dignity of every human life before that. She still has her religious beliefs, but this is what it means to respect the dignity of every Nigerian.
Putting politics aside and whether we support her candidacy or not, that is the bare minimum that should be required of everyone who is vying for a leadership position in our country.[embedded content]
Tech and politics. Is there even a difference between the two?
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Police Officer Who Leads A Robbery Gang Exposed In Lagos As Gang Member Confesses
- Fayose Mobbed As He Returns To Ekiti (Photos)
- Woman Shares Scary Experience During Flight To Enugu As Plane Nearly Crashed (Photos)
- Why we retained fuel subsidy – Osinbajo
- 10 biggest news stories in Nigeria in 2018, according to Google Trends
- The 11 Best Movies Coming Out in December
- The fall of Man Utd XI
- Court fixes February for bench ruling on Magu’s N5bn libel suit
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery construction begins
- Nigeria sues Shell, Eni $1.1b over Malabu oil license
- Buhari okays 65-year retirement age for teachers
- Preparing our children for the changing nature of work—it’s gigs not jobs in the 21st century
- Lagos International Trade Fair Boss crowned Yeye Oge Ogbere
- Young Girl Breaks Record At National Sport Festival In Abuja
- Buhari Just Told Us The Economy Is In Bad Shape, says Gov Yari
- White Woman Flies From Her Country To Arrest Yahoo Boy Who Duped Her N8m
- Donald Duke Sacked As SDP Presidential Candidate
- Notorious Robbers Busted After Successful Operation (Photos)
- PHOTOS: 102-Year-Old Woman Becomes Oldest Skydiver, Flies Down From The Sky On Birthday
- Exposed: Agency Headed By Buhari's In-law Violating Nigeria's Procurement Law
- Emotional Moment Oby Ezekwesili 'Bursts Into Tears' (Photos)
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Goes Missing (Photos)
- I'm Not Desperate For Power - Buhari Speaks On Electoral Bill
- Popular Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises In Calabar
- Rivers APC Saga: Court Asked To Order INEC To Remove APC Candidates' Names
- EFCC Chairman: I'm Glad Senate Didn't Confirm Me, says Magu
- Protest in Lagos as F-SARS Officer kills truck driver over bribe
- Suspected Ritualists Abduct 13-day-old Baby While Mother Was Sleeping
- We Won't Go On Strike - PENGASSAN, NUPENG
- Woman Arrested For Pouring Hot Water On Pregnant Lady
- How Buhari's Veto On Electoral Bill Is Dividing Senators
- Touching Story Of Lady Shot Dead While Trying To Save Her Father From Assassins
- See Deteriorating State Of A Nigerian Magistrate Court (Photos)
- So Sad! Female Corper Reportedly Dies From Health Issues
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Young Lawyers Set To Wed Melt Hearts With Pre-wedding Pics
- Saraki attends launch of Trump’s Africa Strategy in US
- Flying Eagles turn back Ghana, reach WAFU Cup semi finals
- Who owns Nigeria football? The investor or the promoter? —Wale Ajayi
- Barewa to face Cowrie at Rugby President Cup final