Following a rather middling 2017 run, Wizkid successfully kicked off his 2018 resurgence by leading the charge on Starboy's "Soco", an infectious afropop track that soared due to some particularly outstanding production work by the gifted Northboi.
The up-and-coming beatsmith, who chose his stage name as a way to honour the oft-ignored geopolitical zone he grew up in, has since solidified himself as one of the most exciting new talents in the game, orchestrating even more unforgettable 2018 bangers.
Speaking with Konbini about choosing his name, he said:
"I realized that the northern part of Nigeria hasn't really made a strong statement in the afropop scene, and so I decided to represent."
About how that influenced his production style, he continued:
"I started to imagine what a northern afropop hit would sound like. At the end of the day, my production style is hard to describe, as nothing has sounded like it before.
I'll just say it's a combination of the best of everything, particularly ethnic instruments, which I love."
Considering the monster success of "Soco" — it's currently the most viewed Nigerian music video of 2018 — it’s no wonder Wizkid decided to team up with Northboi again on two more tracks: "Fever", which he co-produced with Blaq Jerzee; and "Gucci Snake", the Slimcase-assisted earworm.
Then, before any naysayer could accuse him of only delivering when paired up with Wizkid, Northboi joined forces with another afropop star, Mayorkun, helping the DMW standout create one of his strongest-ever singles: "Posh".[embedded content]
About working on "Soco", "Fever" and "Posh", Northboi said:
"Working on 'Soco' helped me evolve. I heard Wizkid's voice on the beat that evening, and I said to myself 'this is innovation'. I knew it was gonna be big, but nowhere near as big as it ended up being.
As for 'Fever', I connected with Blaq Jerzee's idea and added my elements. Then working on 'Posh' and 'Gucci Snake' was just magical. That's the word I'd use to describe my experience on all these songs".
For the upcoming year, Northboi has no intention of resting on his laurels. "I will be collaborating with many young talented producers. Afropop is now global, and there's no way one man can do it alone", he concluded. We really can't wait to hear what he delivers next.[embedded content]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Adorable Photos Of Buhari & Wife, Aisha Melt Hearts
- Donald Duke Reacts After Court Sacked Him As Presidential Candidate Of SDP
- Woman Murders Neighbour's Son In Lagos, Dumps His Corpse In Toilet To Punish Dad (Photos)
- Woman Whose Husband Kill Their 4 Kids & Himself Opens Up
- Ivorian Football Federation appeal to court
- Mourinho in bizarre Liverpool spending rant
- Super Falcons grateful to NFF for fulfilling promises
- Supersand Eagles hold firm to World Cup ticket as Senegal rule Africa
- Two Borca fans assassinates River plate supporter
- Paulo Futre to Barca: Dembele needs a girlfriend
- Umtiti, Barca in operation deadlock
- Chellini: Icardi, one of my toughest opponent
- Ronaldo: I hope to do business with Pique soon
- Pires: I have played with Zidane, Henry but Messi is extraordinary
- Linda Ikeji Pregnancy: Jeremi to say his side of story before general elections
- 5 tactical questions ahead of Liverpool versus Man Utd
- Move To Override Buhari On Electoral Bill Begins?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- CAN Dissolves Elders' Forum Over Claims Of 'N40m Gift' From President Buhari
- Yahoo Boy & Wife Busted In Their Home; SUV, Others Recovered
- Osinbajo, Peter Obi's Top Positions At The VP Debate Yesterday
- Inflation Increases To 11.28% Due To Higher Food Prices
- Husband Slashes Wife's Head Because Of Another Woman
- You're Making Empty Threats - APC replies Buhari's man, Shittu
- Female Judge In 'Fraud' Mess, Justice Ajumogobis Collapses In Court
- Retired Deputy Police Commissioner, Wife Shot Dead
- Police Officer Who Leads A Robbery Gang Exposed In Lagos As Gang Member Confesses
- Fayose Mobbed As He Returns To Ekiti (Photos)
- Woman Shares Scary Experience During Flight To Enugu As Plane Nearly Crashed (Photos)
- Why we retained fuel subsidy – Osinbajo
- 10 biggest news stories in Nigeria in 2018, according to Google Trends
- The 11 Best Movies Coming Out in December
- The fall of Man Utd XI
- Court fixes February for bench ruling on Magu’s N5bn libel suit
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery construction begins
- Nigeria sues Shell, Eni $1.1b over Malabu oil license
- Buhari okays 65-year retirement age for teachers
- Preparing our children for the changing nature of work—it’s gigs not jobs in the 21st century
- Lagos International Trade Fair Boss crowned Yeye Oge Ogbere
- Young Girl Breaks Record At National Sport Festival In Abuja