Planning your pregnancy is a very wise thing nowadays. Conceiving a baby can be planned according to the ovulation period calculation. To know how to calculate ovulation period and safe period, read the article below.
How to calculate ovulation period for pregnancy
If you are trying to get pregnant, you need to pay attention to timing, but the truth is that it is almost impossible to calculate the precise time of ovulation. Remember that ovulation can’t be determined accurately. There is a widely-known myth, especially, among women that cannot get pregnant that the 14th day of the cycle is the most fertile day, but it is actually false. Recognizing fertile days without special tests or additional examinations is not possible. Pregnancy computers determining the temperature and consistency of cervical mucus are not the most precise way to determine the fertile days as well.
To identify a safe period, different methods can be used. The ovulation calculator is one of the most popular ways aimed at identifying the evaluation period, fertile and infertile days and the length of each cycle. When using an ovulation calculator, you need to enter the latest date of menstruation, and the ovulation calculator will show the ovulation and safe period. The ovulation calculator cannot be used alone as a natural birth control method but as the results can be influenced by different external factors.
To avoid any unwanted pregnancy, it is better to use the ovulation calculator with other methods like the symptothermal method, calendar method, and other.
Using an ovulation calculator for pregnancy, one can easily calculate ovulation, fertile days, and infertile days:
- calculate the fertile days when it is possible to get pregnant
- calculate infertile days, safe days/safe period when it is not possible to get pregnant
- calculate the luteal phase, a period when it is possible to conceive a baby
- calculate when a pregnancy test is possible
The safe period calculator can be used by women whose average length of the menstrual cycle from the past six months is between 25 and 35 days. Also, variation between the shortest and longest cycles should be no more than 7 days. Be sure to consult your doctor to use this natural birth planning method. The approximate failure rate of using an ovulation calculator is about 3 to 4%.
When using the calculator after childbirth, this method can be applied only after 6 regular menstrual cycles to get the exact results. Teens and women reaching menopause cannot rely on this method.
To become pregnant quickly, you need to know the exact date of ovulation. That’s why you need to conceive, have intercourse at the right time. It is easier to calculate your fertile days precisely if your cycle is regular. If no, you will need to make it regular by a healthy diet, avoiding stress. Taking any hormonal medicines should be discontinued. The most convenient way to get pregnant is to wait for ovulation days after which the egg cell can be fertilized during 12-18 hours. Given the fact that the fertile period doesn’t begin with ovulation, you can also try to conceive during six days before ovulation.
A woman is considered “unable to conceive” only after two years of unprotected sexual intercourse. If you were able to get pregnant, you could use the ovulation calculator to determine the day the baby will be born.
How to calculate ovulation period to avoid pregnancy
It is important to remember that sperm can survive for 2 to 3 days. In addition, ovulation and menstrual cycles are unpredictable at times. Using specific methods to track your safe period, you can know when you are not able to conceive.
If you understand how to calculate a safe period to avoid pregnancy, you can determine whether your menstrual cycle is regular or irregular. If it is regular, the probability of getting pregnant is easy to predict, but there can be no 100% accuracy. If the cycle is irregular, the chances to get pregnant even during the infertile days increase.
The thing is a woman can even get pregnant if she has never had a period before, during her first period, or after the first time, she had intercourse.
It is believed that a woman cannot get pregnant just after her period has finished, however, there is no “safe” time during the menstrual cycle when you can have intercourse without contraception without a risk to become pregnant. While women do not always make their safe days calculations, however, this is one of the easiest ways to avoid an unwanted pregnancy. Other birth control measures to prevent pregnancy involve taking contraception pills, using condoms, etc.
READ ALSO: How to get pregnant with a boy
How to calculate ovulation period if periods are irregular
You already know that every woman can become pregnant only during a particular part of her menstrual cycle, namely before and during ovulation. You can predict your ovulation period easily of your menstrual cycle is regular. Even using an ovulation calculator, you can get only approximate ovulation dates, fertile and infertile days. It can be even more difficult if periods are irregular (regular period means a period that occurs every 21 to 35 days).
To get better results, the symptothermal method, calendar method can be used as well as fertility charting, basal temperature tracking, and ovulation test kits. Remember that the data you enter in the ovulation calculator may show an ovulation date that has already passed.
Additionally, ovulation can be determined based on the visible and measurable signs. Here are the most reliable signs of ovulation to take into account when calculating fertile and infertile days:
- rise in basal body temperature, from 0,5 to 1 degree (measured by a thermometer)
- rise in levels of luteinizing hormone (measured on a purchased ovulation kit)
- cervical mucus appears clear, thin, and stretchy reminding raw egg white
- breast tenderness
- light spotting
- pain or cramping in your side.
If considered alone, these signs of ovulation can indicate the symptoms of other illnesses. It is important to take into account all the listed signs.
READ ALSO: How to conceive a baby girl
How long does ovulation last
Becoming pregnant is possible if spermatozoid unites with the egg. It takes place in the fallopian tube. For this purpose, the best time to get pregnant is the ovulation period that lasts from 3 to 5 days which are between the 13th and the 17th day. At this period, the ovulation occurs, and one or more eggs are released from the ovary. The thing is that the egg can survive only from 11 to 19 hours. However, the ovulation period lasts about 6 days when a woman is fertile. It includes the day of ovulation and 5 days before it.
The beginning of the menstruation is considered the beginning of the menstrual cycle. The first 5 days of the period are relatively infertile. However, this is true under the condition that there are no hormonal influences and that ovulation occurred in the previous cycle. The sixth day of the menstrual cycle is considered possibly fertile. When the menstruation is finished, there will come a few days before the ovulation period. After ovulation, the luteal phase starts.
Every woman who is trying to get pregnant should remember that one cannot be 100% sure ovulation occurs or not. Another problem is that not many women have regular cycles. If the whole cycle lasts between 22 and 35 days, it is considered normal. Short cycles are not very common while longer cycles are often observed in women. The most common cycle length in women is 28 days.
The menstrual cycle length is, to put it simply, the interval between the two cycles. A new menstrual cycle begins with the first day of menstruation. The beginning of the cycle is the only point in the cycle that can be easily determined without additional methods and equipment which cannot be said about other points of the menstrual cycle.
Women also need to understand that there is no such a thing as a normal cycle length. Every woman has a unique cycle that sometimes even fluctuates from month to month. Moreover, menstrual cycle length can vary throughout life. In case, your cycle length is varying, observe all the changes in your body caused by taking medicines, stress which can postpone the ovulation and compare them with other indicators. If you face any difficulties with consultation, you can ask the gynecologist to determine your fertile and infertile days.
READ ALSO: Vitamins to boost fertility in men and women
How to calculate ovulation period with calendar
Getting pregnant depends on many factors. The best way to get pregnant quickly is to make love regularly. Also, every woman needs to visit her gynecologist regularly. A healthy diet is also hugely important to improve the chances of getting pregnant. Sometimes, women cannot get pregnant even during a few months having a healthy diet because the chances of getting pregnant that depend on the diet are only 20 percent.
Stressing out over getting pregnant which makes pregnancy even less possible, try to avoid stress and enjoy your life. Doing physical exercises is also a good way to prepare your body for pregnancy. Remember to get a lot of fresh air every day.
Getting pregnant also depends on the proper timing. This is the truth that every woman can become pregnant during the period of ovulation. One of the most popular methods to calculate the ovulation period is a calendar method. The calendar method or the rhythm method is named after doctors Knaus and Ogino. In this method, information is obtained mathematically. It is important to remember that you cannot rely on the results of this method if you use an ovulation calendar less than 6 months. The calendar method is actually not considered 100% reliable because it neglects bodily signs (temperature and hormones).
Using the calendar method, you need to mark the mucus patterns every day. Once you have the periods of the menstrual cycle including dry days, sticky days, wet days and slippery days marked on the calendar, you can plan or predict pregnancy based on the current and past cycles. The mucus is different at every stage. If you don’t understand the pattern, ask your gynecologist to help you. The symptothermal method, using pregnancy computers and ovulation tests are considered better methods which measure ovulation, using daily waking temperature, hormone levels, and/or cervical mucus analysis.
Handful pregnancy tips
To know when you ovulate, use this tip. Taking into account that the cycle lasts 28 days and ovulation usually happens every 14 days, you can calculate ovulation period, fertile and infertile days. To get a better understanding of when you ovulate, you can use all the methods including charting your basal body temperature, cervical mucus and other. Additionally, you can use an ovulation kit which is able to determine tovulation period if the hormonal changes have occurred.
- If you want to get pregnant, have intercourse often, especially, 1 to 2 days before you ovulate and 2 to 3 days after you think you have ovulated. All the days before and after ovulation form an ovulation period.
- Another interesting tip is about laying low after having intercourse. It is believed that you need to lie low in bed for at least 10 minutes after the intercourse so that sperm could reach the egg. But studies don’t show any reliable evidence to back up this claim.
- Maintaining a healthy weight might be important for overweight or underweight women. A lot of studies have shown that unhealthy weight may disrupt ovulation and affect the production of important hormones. It is advisable to maintain a body mass index between approximately 18 and 25. You should not exercise a lot but moderately, the period of pregnancy is not the best time to get into shape for any sports competitions.
- Stressing out can cause a serious problem not only during pregnancy but also make it harder to get pregnant.
- If you take medications from any serious illnesses such as diabetes, asthma, epilepsy and other, be sure it is under control. Since they might lower the odds of getting pregnant, ask your doctor to adjust the prescription.
- Your partner’s health matters no less than yours. The chances to get pregnant depend on 33% on a man. To improve their reproductive health, man can quit smoking, limit alcohol intake, eat healthy, and lower stress.
- When trying for a boy or a girl, you can take into account a few theories, however, they don’t give 100% confidence. These theories claim that you can influence the gender of a baby by having intercourse at a certain time of the month or in a specific position. There is no evidence for these theories, and the odds are 50-50 unless you use a sperm-sorting technique and artificial insemination.
A woman can only get pregnant during the fertile period that lasts about 5 days and 2-3 fertile days before and after ovulation. There are a few methods to find out when a woman ovulates including the calendar method, symptothermal method, ovulation calculator and others. The chances of getting pregnant increase when having intercourse on ovulation day or a few days before it.
READ ALSO: Best food for ovulation stimulation
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation
- Okorocha's Suspension By APC: Angry Reactions
- Buhari Govt Goes After Atiku, To Now Quiz Him For Corruption... Atiku calls it "Cock & Bull" Story
- Lagos Businessman Accused Of R*pe Cries Out, Commits Suicide
- CJN Onnoghen To Be Arrested? FG Asks Court To Sack Him
- Oshiomhole, El-Rufai Attack Atiku Over Trip To America
- Amaechi Replies Wike For Saying He Plotted CJN's Removal