OSOGBO—Thirty nine communities in Osun State recently affirmed that they have abandoned the traditional practice of female genital cutting and mutilation and never to return to the practice any longer.
At the signing of an undertaking by the representatives of the communities on the abandonment of FGM at a program at Ife-Ooye LCDA, the communities regretted that they have struck to the tradition for so long to the detriment of their children.
The United Nations Children’s Fund, UNICEF, says Female Genital Mutilation, FGM, is a harmful traditional practice and gross violation of the girl-child’s fundamental human rights which must be eradicated in Nigeria.
Speaking at the event, the UNICEF FGM consultant for Ekiti, Osun and Oyo states, Mrs Aderonke Olutayo, said: “FGM is a social norm which means that people practice it because they believe that others in their community do it, and these people believe they ought to conform to it.
“Most of the reasons sustaining the practice are based on myths and preconceptions, which in turn have shaped the social expectations among the people
“FGM poses increased risk of infection or prolonged bleeding, prolonged labour, still-birth and maternal death during child delivery.
“It also leaves lasting physical and emotional scars and an irreparable physical damage.”
Olutayo, however, lamented the prevalence of FGM in Osun, saying the state has the highest rate of FGM in the South-West and in Nigeria.
She noted that FGM prevalence among girls and women in the state was about 68.7 per cent, which according to her was higher than the national prevalence of 18.4 per cent.
Olutayo said it was a thing of joy for UNICEF to see more than 137 communities in the state making public declaration of abandonment of FGM.
Her words: “The event rewrites history and marks a new chapter for the next generation of girls and women in these communities, as they publicly declare the total abandonment of FGM and create a new norm of keeping their girls intact; the way that they were created.
“UNICEF will continue to support you to sustain this momentum by embarking on post-declaration surveillance to monitor compliance.”
Earlier in her remarks, the Osun Director of National Orientatiin Agency, NOA, Mrs Yomi Olasinde, said: “I believe with this public declaration, nobody in these communities will ever venture into such depravity as they now know the legal, social and medical implications.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation
- Okorocha's Suspension By APC: Angry Reactions
- Buhari Govt Goes After Atiku, To Now Quiz Him For Corruption... Atiku calls it "Cock & Bull" Story
- Lagos Businessman Accused Of R*pe Cries Out, Commits Suicide
- CJN Onnoghen To Be Arrested? FG Asks Court To Sack Him
- Oshiomhole, El-Rufai Attack Atiku Over Trip To America
- Amaechi Replies Wike For Saying He Plotted CJN's Removal