By Levinus Nwabughiogu
ABUJA—THE House of Representatives yesterday demanded the immediate sack of the Director-General of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, Engr. Mustapha Maihaja, over the loss of N33 billion and violation of public trust.
The House also mandated the anti-graft agencies, including the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offenses Commission, ICPC, and the Nigerian Police Force to further investigate the DG and impose appropriate sanctions where necessary.
The resolutions were reached sequel to the consideration of the report of the House Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness on the need to investigate the Violation of Public Trust in NEMA at yesterday’s plenary.
It will be recalled that sundry allegations were levelled against the NEMA for which the House embarked on the investigation.
Recall also that the sum of N5,865,671,939.26 was approved and released in June 2017 via a memo raised from the Office of the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo who was then working as the Acting President, directing the then Hon. Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun and the Accountant General of the Federation to so act on the emergency intervention of food security to the North-East to support the population ravaged by insurgency.
Details of the memo further specified a directive to the Governor of CBN, Mr. Godwin Emefiele from the Ministry of Finance to pay the sum from the Consolidated Revenue Fund Account which the AGF was to raise a mandate for.
However, the House said that this was in contravention of approval of National Assembly on the issuance of Euro Bond from which the Hon. Minister authorized the payment.
According to the lawmakers, the Euro Bond is for specified infrastructural projects and not for discretionary intervention, adding that there is no specific appropriation by the National Assembly.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Two Sisters Caught Trying To Smuggle Tramadol, Igbo Into Prison In Abuja
- APC Leaders Will Be Thrown Into Hell If Their Records Are Checked - Obasanjo
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- House of Reps reject committee report sympathising with Atiku’s company
- Falana supports Obasanjo
- Shehu Sani tells Nigerians to look at the message of Obasanjo, not the messenger
- Feb: NOA raises red flags in 2 states in southeast, 1 in southwest, southsouth, northcentral each
- Respect rule of law, Osun APC tells Obasanjo
- LASUTH doctors begin strike Jan. 28
- Housewife allegedly beaten to death in Ondo
- Cardiff record signing Sala, on board missing plane says French authorities
- Prophet lynched in Ekiti for eating human faeces with bread
- Retired policeman claims 14-year old as his wife
- Barca completes shock Boateng move
- PDP federal lawmaker defects to APC
- Govt. Shut Down: U.S senate bows under Trump pressure
- Police confiscate 13 houses, 10 cars of kidnapper Collins Ezenwa known as E-Money
- How Trump’s friend facilitated Atiku’s trip to US
- Minimum wage: Council of State approves N30000 for Fed. workers
- Man goes berserk, kills wife, children, 4 others
- High court grants Elzakzaky, wife, access to medical services, adjourns to March 25
- Oshiomhole rubbishes OBJ, Atiku
- Popular Singer buys JAMB forms for 30 students
- ECOWAS, others sets to eliminate child marriage in West Africa
- Obasanjo Laughs With Buhari In Aso Rock Today
- The last of Awo’s cavalrymen
- Obasanjo on new offensive against Buhari
- Investors lose N102bn as NSE All Shares Index declines
- Why 2019 elections will be impossible to rig – INEC
- Again, House of Reps steps down second reading of 2019 Appropriation Bill
- Senate adjourns plenary over absence of Lawmakers
- Barcelona confirm Kevin-Prince Boateng signing
- PSG ordered to include Rabiot in first-team training
- NFF can’t force me to release election forms- Taraba FA Chairman boasts
- 2019: Buhari meets Obasanjo, others at Aso Rock
- Drama As Lagos Assembly Claims Ignorance Of Ambode's 2019 Budget
- Rivers APC Case: Supreme Court's Position
- Story Of UNILAG Graduate Turned Suspected Serial R*pist
- Dino Melaye Shares First Picture After Release From Custody
- Faces Of Car-snatching Syndicate Busted By The Police