By Johnbosco Agbakwuru
ABUJA—THE Presidency, yesterday, chided those accusing President Muhammadu Buhari of reneging on the N30,000 agreed on by the National Minimum Wage Tripartite Committee.
According to the Presidency, President Buhari never mentioned any figure since he received the report, noting that the controversy over the minimum wage was unnecessary as the President, being a stickler to due process, would allow the report to pass through the gamut of lawmaking.
A statement by the Special Adviser to President Buhari on Media and Publicity, Chief Femi Adesina, in Abuja said: “These reports are contrary to what transpired on Tuesday, when the committee presented its report to the President.
“President Buhari, while acknowledging the concerns raised by government on affordability and labour’s focus on meaningful increase, stated clearly in a speech that ‘in a way, both arguments are valid.
“I want to assure you all that we will immediately put in place the necessary machinery that will close out these open areas’.
“‘Our plan is to transmit an Executive Bill to the National Assembly for passage within the shortest possible time. I am fully committed to having a new National Minimum Wage Act in the very near future.
“As the Executive Arm commences its review of your submission, we will continue to engage you all in closing any open areas presented in this report.
“‘I, therefore, would like to ask for your patience and understanding in the coming weeks’.”
The Presidency said from the statement above, and throughout the report-submission ceremony, the President never mentioned any figure, which would come after the report of the committee had been reviewed by the executive and legislative processes of government and an appropriate bill presented to him for assent.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Governor Akeredolu bags Gold Cup Platinum Award
- Portugal hold Italy; clinch finals spot
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Twin Sisters Abducted Days To Their Wedding Regain Freedom After 26 Days In Kidnappers' Den
- How The Ambassador Of Ireland To Nigeria Beat Lagos Traffic
- Obasanjo Sues Radio Presenter for N1bn over Bola Ige Murder
- NYSC Member, 3 INEC Workers, Girl Perish In Fatal Accident
- My Plans For Second Tenure, by Buhari
- Rich Kidnapper Evans: Falana Came To See Me, Police Hid Me Inside Toilet
- APC Victory In Kwara Sweetest, says SGF... PDP Reacts
- Female Student Arrested For Killing Her Own Baby
- Story Of Nigerian Lady Who Got Pregnant For Her Own Father
- Presidency Lists Buhari's Achievements In The Power Sector
- Atiku’s Policy Document: How He Plans To Make Nigeria Work
- Oshiomhole in fresh crisis
- 2019: Atiku sets to launch policy document
- Moghalu picks running mate from Kano
- Igbogbo monarch lauds Salis kindness, Lagos theatre art practitioners declares endorsement
- Sadio Mane has realized he’s world class, says Klopp
- Messi: Rooney, one of the all- time special players
- Moghalu picks running mate from Kano
- NCF: Nigeria may end up a desert
- Nike teams up with Barcelona for 20-year special edition jersey
- Kwara bye-election: Nigeria’s democracy under attack – Saraki
- I See Fornicators, Adulterers Living Large On Social Media... how can I stay faithful?
- Ooni commissions projects to promote culture
- Woman Disgraced After Allegedly Trying To Kidnap A Baby
- Soldiers Rescue Boy Who Was Locked Up With Charm
- The 10 best Premier League signings of 2018/19 so far, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Everton stars
- I am always ready to represent Nigeria –Kenneth Omeruo
- Germany relegated from Nations League tier
- Pogba chills with Messi; Barca rumours fuel
- Homosexuality most difficult subject to talk in football
- Buhari, Atiku congratulate Super Eagles on 2019 AFCON qualification
- Messi, Ronaldo, Salah & the top 20 scorers of 2018
- Chevron fc is fully ready for Eze United- Godtime Emiko
- Atiku begins campaign
- FG approves N60bn for rice
- Oshiomhole Escapes Moves To Sack Him
- Atiku Begins 2019 Campaign, Launches ‘People’s Policy'