The programme which was held at the Lagos State Secretariat Central Mosque, Alausa, Ikeja, was sponsored by Adesoye family in memory of Alhaji Oyebade Arasim Adesoye in collaboration with NASFAT Agency for Zakat and Sadaqat (NAZAS).
The representative of the Family, Otunba Ogungboyega, said the campaign for early detection and treatment of prostrate cancer became necessary as many Nigerians die of the disease daily, adding that the circumstances leading to the death of Oyebade Arasim Adesoye, led the family into sponsoring the programme.
“We believed that many Nigerians also die of the disease, especially if they not detected and treated early.”
“It is unfortunate that we lost my elder brother to prostate cancer and all efforts to cure him were fruitless. He was actually ignorant of the prostate cancer. At the initial stage, he was not aware of it and he was using the traditional medication. We took him to the hospital, even up to London hospital, but it was too late,”
“This is why we are partnering with NASFAT so that people who possibly were not aware of having the disease can be assisted in procuring treatment. If anybody is having it, we can follow up,” he said.
NAZAS General Manager, Alhaji Sulaimon Akanni, encouraged other Nigerians and families to provide healthcare as a form of charity.
“It is good to give charity to make Nigeria better. Those who are healthy should remember those suffering from the disease and assist them where they can. The family decided to sponsor this programme in order to sensitise Nigerians that prostate cancer is a silent killer, which if not well-managed can kill. In this family, a member was lost due to that prostate cancer after spending so much. Over 150 beneficiaries were screened and properly advised,” he said.
He urged every financially stable Muslims to endeavor to practice the third pillar of Islam by paying their zakat to assist those having health challenges.
The National Health Secretary of NASFAT, Dr. Abdulganiyu Salaudeen, enjoined men above 40 years to go for prostrate screening.
“After the age of 45, there is tendency for the prostrate gland in a man to enlarge. It is one of the most common types of cancer in men. Usually prostate cancer grows slowly and is initially confined to the prostate gland, where it may not cause serious harm. Some types of prostate cancer grow slowly and may need minimal or even no treatment, while other types are aggressive and can spread quickly which will lead to emergency operation that will be done by an urologist.
He noted that about 35-40 per cent of men are suffering from prostrate cancer, adding that that the need to create awareness became necessary.
He advised sexually active men to go for prostrate checkup from time to time “ If you engage in regular sex the chances of developing prostrate cancer is on the high side” he said
A consultant Urologist, Dr. Saliu Abdulwaheed, said prostrate cancer is a age related disease and it may not occur in some men.
“You should try to evaluate your prostrate gland by doing digital urethra evaluation to know the nature of the prostrate gland,” he said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation
- Okorocha's Suspension By APC: Angry Reactions
- Buhari Govt Goes After Atiku, To Now Quiz Him For Corruption... Atiku calls it "Cock & Bull" Story
- Lagos Businessman Accused Of R*pe Cries Out, Commits Suicide
- CJN Onnoghen To Be Arrested? FG Asks Court To Sack Him
- Oshiomhole, El-Rufai Attack Atiku Over Trip To America
- Amaechi Replies Wike For Saying He Plotted CJN's Removal