By Yinka Kolawole, with agency report
Fintechs are companies that use technology to replace or enhance the usage of financial services provided by conventional financial institutions or banks.
Speaking at the ongoing Africa Investment Forum (AIF) in Johannesburg, South Africa, Osinbajo said although Fintechs are not about to take over from the banks, the banks have to reform to survive the encroachment into the hitherto exclusive business of banks by the fintechs.
He stated: “Fintech companies, as you know, are challenging some of the old laws on banking and all of that. The major issue is that technology is clearly going to disrupt the financial space, and is doing so already, so banks have to reform.
“They have to invest in some of the Fintech companies themselves, and they have to see this revolution as inevitable. I think that what we are seeing today is the reform around that space, and many of the banks are looking up and understanding that this is going to happen, and it’s already happening.
The vice president however allayed the fears of the banks, assuring that the government will continue to work with the banks, the regulators and the Fintech companies to ensure development in the sector.
“I think the first thing is to allay the fears of the banks that lunch isn’t being taken away. Banks, of course, are jittery about some of what is happening in the Fintech space. They need to be assured that this isn’t about taking their lunch but that we cannot avoid what is coming to us now.
“What we are saying is that payment system, lending, all sort of financial systems, even insurance are happening much faster.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Governor Akeredolu bags Gold Cup Platinum Award
- Portugal hold Italy; clinch finals spot
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Twin Sisters Abducted Days To Their Wedding Regain Freedom After 26 Days In Kidnappers' Den
- How The Ambassador Of Ireland To Nigeria Beat Lagos Traffic
- Obasanjo Sues Radio Presenter for N1bn over Bola Ige Murder
- NYSC Member, 3 INEC Workers, Girl Perish In Fatal Accident
- My Plans For Second Tenure, by Buhari
- Rich Kidnapper Evans: Falana Came To See Me, Police Hid Me Inside Toilet
- APC Victory In Kwara Sweetest, says SGF... PDP Reacts
- Female Student Arrested For Killing Her Own Baby
- Story Of Nigerian Lady Who Got Pregnant For Her Own Father
- Presidency Lists Buhari's Achievements In The Power Sector
- Atiku’s Policy Document: How He Plans To Make Nigeria Work
- Oshiomhole in fresh crisis
- 2019: Atiku sets to launch policy document
- Moghalu picks running mate from Kano
- Igbogbo monarch lauds Salis kindness, Lagos theatre art practitioners declares endorsement
- Sadio Mane has realized he’s world class, says Klopp
- Messi: Rooney, one of the all- time special players
- Moghalu picks running mate from Kano
- NCF: Nigeria may end up a desert
- Nike teams up with Barcelona for 20-year special edition jersey
- Kwara bye-election: Nigeria’s democracy under attack – Saraki
- I See Fornicators, Adulterers Living Large On Social Media... how can I stay faithful?
- Ooni commissions projects to promote culture
- Woman Disgraced After Allegedly Trying To Kidnap A Baby
- Soldiers Rescue Boy Who Was Locked Up With Charm
- The 10 best Premier League signings of 2018/19 so far, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Everton stars
- I am always ready to represent Nigeria –Kenneth Omeruo
- Germany relegated from Nations League tier
- Pogba chills with Messi; Barca rumours fuel
- Homosexuality most difficult subject to talk in football
- Buhari, Atiku congratulate Super Eagles on 2019 AFCON qualification
- Messi, Ronaldo, Salah & the top 20 scorers of 2018
- Chevron fc is fully ready for Eze United- Godtime Emiko
- Atiku begins campaign
- FG approves N60bn for rice
- Oshiomhole Escapes Moves To Sack Him
- Atiku Begins 2019 Campaign, Launches ‘People’s Policy'