By Henry Ojelu
ILARAMOKIN—THE adage that evil thrives when good men and women do nothing rang a bell recently when scores of youths across the six geo-political zones of the country gathered in Ilaramokin, Ondo State and spoke with one voice against the rising spate of violence in the country.
The event was the maiden edition of National Youth Peace Summit, NYPS, powered by the United States of America based International Youth Congress, IYC, with the endorsement of the office of Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Adeyeye-Ogunwusi, Ojaja II.With a central theme: ‘Paving way towards non-violent Nigeria’, the youths were grilled by several erudite scholars, tutors and policymakers on topics such as Conflict Management and Resolution, Youth Leadership and Education, Good Governance and Economic Growth, Globalization and International Human Rights Framework, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Climate Change, Effective Mediation among others.
In his opening remarks, at the weeklong event held at Elizade University in Ondo State, President, International Youth Congress, Nigeria, Mr. Akinyemi Olowokere described the summit as a one-time opportunity designed to expose youths to key issues in governance and help them take holistic position especially in the areas that affects them directly. He stated that the event was carefully planned to inspire youths to shun violence and toe the path of peaceful co-existence.
In her Keynote address, the wife of Bauchi State governor, Hajiya Hadiza Mohammed Abubakar, represented by the State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Child Development, Barrister Ruqayya Ibrahim Kewa, called on Nigerian youths to rise up and demand their rights and peaceful coexistence, warning that unless they speak with one voice this will not be possible.
Abubakar, who is Founder, Bauchi Sustainable Women Economic Empowerment and Peace initiative, BSWEEP, said: “You should demand your rights; access to quality education, good roads and health care services are your rights. It is your right to live under the condition of peace not in an atmosphere of tension, panicky and palpable fear that presently characterizes the polity.
”I urge all of you to be agents of positive change. Through campaign for peace, we have returned Bauchi State to a land of peace and tranquility. Boko Haram is now history in our state. This feat, we achieved with the unflinching support of youths of Bauchi State.” In his presentation, an Industrial and Organizational Psychologist from Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, Samuel Fasanmi said there can never be peace in an environment characterized by injustice, massive hunger, poverty, youth unemployment and absolute inequality.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari should apologise to Atiku – Sen. Shehu Sani
- Search of Atiku, an attack on Opposition – Peter Obi
- CBN, NDIC monitor investigation of Skye Bank directors
- 2019: INEC in dilemma over security risk in North East
- 2019: Human Rights Community sensitizes voters against vote buying
- 2019: How APC plot to hinder Atiku from moving funds – PDP
- Pretty Lady & Her Fiance Share Cute Pre-wedding Photos
- Saraki must vacant senate presidency, Oshiomhole insists
- I'll Avoid Trial Until FG Obeys My Bail Rulings - Ex-NSA Dasuki Tells Court
- See Popular Actor John Dumelo's Farm
- Buhari Attacks Kwankwaso, Accuses Him Of Diverting Kano Funds For Campaign
- Female Speaker Of Anambra Assembly Impeached
- 2019 Election: INEC, Police, civil society calls for peace
- LG is meant to be autonomous from the state – Obasanjo
- Okorocha engages Oshiomhole in crossfire
- Allegri: I hope to stay for a long time
- Messi: Anyone can get beaten
- Conte: Real Madrid’s job is not good for me
- Joachim Low: we want to return to wining ways
- 2019: Youths declared APC obituary in Akwa Ibom
- Panic as poisoned food flood Nigerian markets
- Akeredolu declares war on journalists, bans coverage of government activities
- See 13 things Bankyw said after he announced his political ambition
- Aremu Afolayan slams Buhari, Governor Ambode over inefficient airport staff
- Thierry Henry: Monaco must stay positive despite struggles
- Oil prices determined to stay within $80
- Suarez fight with Barca star after loss
- Hazard: World Cup heroics drained me
- Higuain’s brutal revenge on CR7 for Juventus exit turned sour
- Sergio Busquets’ classy message to Real Betis manager after Barcelona’s 4-3 loss
- Man Allegedly Commits Suicide After Losing Church Money
- Police Arrest Four 'One Chance' Suspects, Female Underwear Found On Them
- Identical Twins Graduate With First Class From University Of Ibadan (Photos)
- 2019: Akwa Ibom Govt accuses EFCC of working for APC
- Fashola renders account of three years stewardship
- 2019: Peter Obi warns El-Rufai to stop Hate Speech
- Am fighting for state police – Osinbajo
- How N5m gift from a Facebook ‘Good Samaritan’ took me to jail
- 4 reasons women prefer these pot-belly-men to regular 6-pack-men
- Nigeria’s greatest problem is corruption, not restructuring- Osinbajo