– Arsenal and Sporting Lisbon settle for a draw at the Emirates in a Europa League match
– Danny Welbeck suffered a terrible injury after landing awkwardly from an aerial challenge
– The north London club will host Wolverhampton Wanderers at home in a Premier League tie
Arsenal continued their 14-match unbeaten run in all competitions as they were held to a 0-0 scoreline in the Europa League by visiting Sporting Lisbon.
England international Danny Welbeck suffered a horrible leg injury after contesting an aerial ball with Bruno Gaspar where he landed awkwardly.
The former Manchester United star was stretched off and was consoled by his teammates and the opponents one of which was Portugal’s Nani.
The first half remained scoreless as both sides competed evenly for a place in the next round of the competition.
In the 59th minute, many fans thought Arsenal had scored after Alex Iwobi’s pass to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was slammed into the side netting by the Gabonese.
Iwobi also had a couple of shot on goal but could only find the target once as Welbeck’s first half chance was the best in the match.
Aubameyang was clear on goal in the 88th minute but was hacked down by Jeremy Mathieu with a professional foul as the French defender was sent off.
The resulting free kick was blazed over by Aubameyang as the Gunners settled for a draw in the not too entertaining contest.
Unai Emery’s side top the Group E with ten points from four matches and would need only a draw in their next game to ensure qualification.
Arsenal will be hoping to end their three-match winless streak when they entertain Wolverhampton Wanderers at the Emirates before the international break.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
Who will win the champions league? – on Legit.ng TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Governor Akeredolu bags Gold Cup Platinum Award
- Portugal hold Italy; clinch finals spot
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Twin Sisters Abducted Days To Their Wedding Regain Freedom After 26 Days In Kidnappers' Den
- How The Ambassador Of Ireland To Nigeria Beat Lagos Traffic
- Obasanjo Sues Radio Presenter for N1bn over Bola Ige Murder
- NYSC Member, 3 INEC Workers, Girl Perish In Fatal Accident
- My Plans For Second Tenure, by Buhari
- Rich Kidnapper Evans: Falana Came To See Me, Police Hid Me Inside Toilet
- APC Victory In Kwara Sweetest, says SGF... PDP Reacts
- Female Student Arrested For Killing Her Own Baby
- Story Of Nigerian Lady Who Got Pregnant For Her Own Father
- Presidency Lists Buhari's Achievements In The Power Sector
- Atiku’s Policy Document: How He Plans To Make Nigeria Work
- Oshiomhole in fresh crisis
- 2019: Atiku sets to launch policy document
- Moghalu picks running mate from Kano
- Igbogbo monarch lauds Salis kindness, Lagos theatre art practitioners declares endorsement
- Sadio Mane has realized he’s world class, says Klopp
- Messi: Rooney, one of the all- time special players
- Moghalu picks running mate from Kano
- NCF: Nigeria may end up a desert
- Nike teams up with Barcelona for 20-year special edition jersey
- Kwara bye-election: Nigeria’s democracy under attack – Saraki
- I See Fornicators, Adulterers Living Large On Social Media... how can I stay faithful?
- Ooni commissions projects to promote culture
- Woman Disgraced After Allegedly Trying To Kidnap A Baby
- Soldiers Rescue Boy Who Was Locked Up With Charm
- The 10 best Premier League signings of 2018/19 so far, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Everton stars
- I am always ready to represent Nigeria –Kenneth Omeruo
- Germany relegated from Nations League tier
- Pogba chills with Messi; Barca rumours fuel
- Homosexuality most difficult subject to talk in football
- Buhari, Atiku congratulate Super Eagles on 2019 AFCON qualification
- Messi, Ronaldo, Salah & the top 20 scorers of 2018
- Chevron fc is fully ready for Eze United- Godtime Emiko
- Atiku begins campaign
- FG approves N60bn for rice
- Oshiomhole Escapes Moves To Sack Him
- Atiku Begins 2019 Campaign, Launches ‘People’s Policy'