Sudan said on Thursday it had reached agreement with the U. S. on a second phase of talks aimed at removing it from the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism.
Washington lifted 20-year-old trade sanctions on Sudan a year ago, but economists say foreign investors and banks are put off by the continued U.S. designation of Sudan as a state sponsor of terrorism, alongside Iran, North Korea and Syria.
“Sudan welcomes the launch of the second phase of strategic talks between the two parties … especially after the success of the first round of talks which led to the lifting of economic sanctions,” Sudan’s foreign ministry said in a statement.
Sudan’s continued listing as a state sponsor of terrorism makes it ineligible for badly needed debt relief and financing from lenders such as the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
U.S. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement Washington wanted Sudan to make further progress on human rights, religious and press freedoms, improving humanitarian access and expanding counter-terrorism cooperation.
Sudan’s economy has been struggling since the south of the country seceded in 2011, taking with it three-quarters of its oil output.
However, economists say foreign investors and banks are put off by Sudan’s continued designation by Washington as a state sponsor of terrorism.
Other nations designated as state sponsors of terrorism include , Iran, North Korea and Syria.
Also ,there are organisations spread across the world that the U.S. designates as terrorist prominent among which are the Al Qaida and Boko Haram groups.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Police doles out millions to wives of slain officers
- Navy’s ex-account chief forfeits millions to EFCC
- Nwabueze, Atiku in emotional vapouring that could make APC jealous
- ZLP presidential candidate backs out, snatches senatorial ticket from member
- Water from the rot
- Married Man Taking Care Of Me Has Infected Me With HIV – Lagos Lady Cries Out
- Saraki Replies Oshiomhole: You Should Not Even Be Talking After "Collecting Dollars"
- TraderMoni A Trick For APC Vote-buying? Case Goes To Court
- IGP, Police Service Commission clash on special promotions: Reps begin probe
- "I Won’t Die Until You Become President" - Nwabueze to Atiku
- FG has not released cash for us to complete unemployment report; says NBS Boss
- Woman Miraculously Escapes Death After Speeding Car Rammed Into Her Shop In Asaba (Photos)
- Oshiomhole Is Corrupt? Protesters Storm ICPC, Demand Probe
- Monkey Snatches Newborn Baby Boy From Mother, Kills Him
- Buhari Must Go With Hardship, We'll Fix The Economy – Atiku
- Married Woman Dies Due To 'Wrong Injection', Family Battles Lagos Hospital
- PDP A Damaged Product, says APC
- Governors to Labour: If You Insist On N30k We'll Sack Workers
- Offa Robbery Update: "You Have Case To Answer"
- Atiku, Peter Obi, Others Meet Igbo Leaders In Enugu (Photos)
- Things Choking Nigeria Economy Revealed
- Woman Duped By Boyfriend Of N4.8million In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Isaac Success rated best Nigerian player in Europe
- Adetunji returns to Abia Warriors
- Fresh cholera outbreak claims 175 IDPs in Northeast
- 2019: Buhari, APC plot to liquidate bank accounts of oppositions – PDP
- Aisha Buhari commends Governors’ Wives on commitment to women’s health
- Bribery allegation; Saraki tackles Oshiomhole
- Fresh crisis hits MOSOP
- MTN seeks operational license to establish bank in Nigeria
- El-Rufai begins Islamisation in Kaduna
- Atiku arrives Enugu for meeting with PDP leaders
- Exposed! Heritage Bank in multi-billion Naira fraud
- Apapa’s port, others under siege
- Two police officers to die for murder
- "I Saw Myself N*ked & Tied" - Lady Celebrates After Escaping From Ritualists In Delta
- Excited Man All Smiles After Undergoing Facial Surgery To Remove Huge Growth
- Beautiful Nurse & Engineer Fiance Share Pre-wedding Pics
- University professors earn more than me as a governor – Fayemi