The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has disclosed that it is working to create a non-interest window for the development financing interventions.
The CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele made the disclosure on Tuesday while delivering the keynote address at the 2018 financial inclusion conference by Enhancing Financial Innovation and Access (EFInA) with the theme “the Business Case for Financial Inclusion”
Emefiele said “the interest free window will assimilate a large section of the population excluded due to their aversion for interest and interest-based products, into the financial system.”
The aim of the conference is to examine how to drive the uptake of financial products and services specifically targeted at the poor and at the same time provide stakeholders with the right incentives to create and support these products and services.
Emefiele who was represented by the Deputy Director, Development Finance Department, Osita Nwanisobi, said some assumptions in the original strategy such as need to open more branches of banks and microfinance banks are no longer in vogue due to technological advancement.
“It identified women, youths, rural areas, northern region and MSMEs as the most excluded sectors of the Nigerian population. The usual high exclusion rates amongst the groups have been ascribed to a number of factors, such as cultural barriers to uptake of financial products, difficulties in offering profitable services, worsening levels of unemployment, security challenges and continuing large share of the informal sector” he added.
He said the Bank’s commitment to sustaining collaboration with other relevant stakeholders, including government ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) and development partners, to drive the financial inclusion in Nigeria to its logical conclusion.
Leave a comment
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019: APC should make up its mind on the lie to tell Nigerians – PDP
- 2019: Igbo Leaders endorse Atiku for President
- Bribery scandal: Governor sues newspaper for N3bn
- EFCC seizes properties of Fayose, Diezani, others
- I crave more experience in NPFL —Cameronian coach
- Ehibam Griefshare Foundation partners with Edo state Rugby
- Icheen set for best Women’s Pro-League
- Paul Bassey harps on discipline, professionalism as Akwa United intensify pres-season training
- The most unsettling Tramadol import in years uncovered at Apapa
- Death in the flour: If amala is not your favourite, don’t read this
- How Lagos Police Inspector Killed Man, Stole 2 Sienna Buses
- Man Paints His Beautiful Wife-to-be In Cute Pre-Wedding Pic
- Nigerian Man Killed 24 Hours After Returning From London For Child’s Wedding
- DSS Asks Buhari To Prosecute Oshiomhole Over Dollars?
- Possibility Of Lagos-Abuja 45 Minutes Fast Train
- Jordi Alba: I have no bust up with Enrique
- MTN closes in on $800m Nigeria settlement
- Petroleum bill faces fresh hitch
- Nigerians spend over four hours on the Internet daily
- Fayemi demands refund of N21bn spent on federal roads
- Youth group task party stakeholders against alteration of mandate
- Maradona: Guardiola is just so lucky, Mourinho is way better
- Asensio: I can’t carry Madrid on my shoulders
- Mbappe gives honest opinion about PSG’s UCL ambitions
- Allison: I have to justify my price tag
- Commotion In Anambra House Of Assembly As Policemen Teargas Lawmaker, Others
- About 100 Buhari Campaign Buses Spotted In Lagos
- Atiku Reveals How He Plans To "Make Nigeria Work Again"
- Popular Channels TV Anchor, Maupe Ogun Gives Birth In US
- Comedienne Helen Paul Shows Her Beautiful Family
- What The DSS Report Revealed About Oshiomhole
- Yinka Ayefele's Music House Being Reconstructed By Govt.
- Police doles out millions to wives of slain officers
- Navy’s ex-account chief forfeits millions to EFCC
- Nwabueze, Atiku in emotional vapouring that could make APC jealous
- ZLP presidential candidate backs out, snatches senatorial ticket from member
- Water from the rot
- Married Man Taking Care Of Me Has Infected Me With HIV – Lagos Lady Cries Out
- Saraki Replies Oshiomhole: You Should Not Even Be Talking After "Collecting Dollars"
- TraderMoni A Trick For APC Vote-buying? Case Goes To Court