Banking equities dominated the gainers’ table at the close of trading activities on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) on Tuesday with Fidelity Bank emerging the best performing stock in percentage terms, National Daily has gathered.
Specifically, Fidelity Bank during the period rose by 20 per cent to close at N2.04 per share against the opening price of N1.70.
Diamond Bank trailed with a growth of 19.49 per cent to close at N1.41, while Newrest ASL improved by 17.86 per cent to close at N6.60 per share.
Other top gainers’ are Cadbury, Forte Oil, Zenith Bank, Total, Mutual Benefits, Sterling Bank and UPL.
Conversely, Cutix emerged as worst performing stock in percentage terms with a loss of 50.49 per cent to close at N2.03 per share against the opening price of N4.10.
The loss by Cutix was due to price adjustment for bonus share of one ordinary share for every one held and 20k dividend.
Mcnichols came second with 43.06 per cent to close at 41k, while Niger Insurance dipped 29.73 per cent to close at 26k per share.
Other top losers are Honeywell, Lafarge Africa, GSK, Union Diagnostic, Beta Glass, Fidson and Meyer.
Consequently, the All-Share Index during the period shed 300.10 points or 0.92 per cent to close at 32,466.27 compared with 32,766.37 achieved in September.
Similarly, the market capitalisation which opened at N11.962 trillion lost N110 billion or 0.92 per cent to close at N11.852 trillion.
Prof. Uche Uwaleke, Head of Banking and Finance Department, Nasarawa State University Keffi, said the performance of the market in October remained weak in spite of the positive financial results released by some listed companies.
Uwaleke attributed the trend to the exit of foreign investors occasioned by the higher yield environment (on a risk adjusted basis) in developed countries especially the United States and the heightening political uncertainty in Nigeria.
He said the performance of the capital market in the near term would not be any different, noting that domestic investors were not insulated from the political risk.
Mr. Ambrose Omordion, the Chief Operating Officer, InvestData Ltd., attributed the development to mixed sentiments and liquidity problem.
Omordion said cautious trading among investors as the 2019 general elections drew closer in the midst of dwindling economic activities and weak economic data contributed to the negative trend in the market.
Leave a comment
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP federal lawmaker defects to APC
- Govt. Shut Down: U.S senate bows under Trump pressure
- Police confiscate 13 houses, 10 cars of kidnapper Collins Ezenwa known as E-Money
- How Trump’s friend facilitated Atiku’s trip to US
- Minimum wage: Council of State approves N30000 for Fed. workers
- Man goes berserk, kills wife, children, 4 others
- High court grants Elzakzaky, wife, access to medical services, adjourns to March 25
- Oshiomhole rubbishes OBJ, Atiku
- Popular Singer buys JAMB forms for 30 students
- ECOWAS, others sets to eliminate child marriage in West Africa
- Obasanjo Laughs With Buhari In Aso Rock Today
- The last of Awo’s cavalrymen
- Obasanjo on new offensive against Buhari
- Investors lose N102bn as NSE All Shares Index declines
- Why 2019 elections will be impossible to rig – INEC
- Again, House of Reps steps down second reading of 2019 Appropriation Bill
- Senate adjourns plenary over absence of Lawmakers
- Barcelona confirm Kevin-Prince Boateng signing
- PSG ordered to include Rabiot in first-team training
- NFF can’t force me to release election forms- Taraba FA Chairman boasts
- 2019: Buhari meets Obasanjo, others at Aso Rock
- Drama As Lagos Assembly Claims Ignorance Of Ambode's 2019 Budget
- Rivers APC Case: Supreme Court's Position
- Story Of UNILAG Graduate Turned Suspected Serial R*pist
- Dino Melaye Shares First Picture After Release From Custody
- Faces Of Car-snatching Syndicate Busted By The Police
- Suspected Ritualist Lynched For Allegedly Eating Faeces
- Obasanjo Trends Over Letter To Buhari... Tinubu, Others Hit Him
- Two Men Break Into Redeemed Church, Steal Church Property
- APC Leaders Are Liars, Reject Them - Atiku
- Nigerian Footballer Sodje & Brothers Jailed In UK For Fraud
- Dino Melaye Detained By Police As They File Fresh Charges
- How I Gave Fayose $5m Cash From Security Fund - Obanikoro
- Just Imagine! This Man Spent 45 Years Of His Life In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Tradermoni: Aso Rock fires back at Obasanjo
- Cardiff captain, 45 minutes away from death
- Court Stops Buhari, AGF From Removing CJN Onnoghen
- OMG! Man 'Beats Wife To Death' Just 2 Weeks After Giving Birth In Rivers State
- New IGP Adamu Disbands FSARS, Takes More Actions