By Ochuko Akuopha
NATIONAL Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, Zone B, has berated the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, over what it described as the commission’s brazen disregard of court ruling ordering the unfreezing of bank account of Mrs. Patience Jonathan.
In a statement by its coordinator, Comrade Pedro Obi, the students said the commission was only being used as a vehicle to persecute and get at perceived opponents.
The statement said: “The action of the commission and Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA against Mrs. Jonathan and Arira Richard Foundation, has no doubt brought to fore, that EFCC’s chairman, Ibrahim Magu is not alone in this wild goose chase.
“NANS therefore, rejects the persecution of the former first family in all ramifications, as the precedent that is being set by the EFCC in persecuting the former first family may cause, an incumbent administration, who loses election in the future not to concede defeat, knowing full well that political persecution awaits you.
“This is a dangerous trend that must not be allowed to take root in the psyche of Nigerians. This is cancerous to the democratic development of our nascent democracy.
“As an intellectual and revolutionary based organizations, NANS will continue to demand for the strengthening of our democratic and financial institutions, where individuals as in the case of Magu, will no longer take advantage of the offices they occupy to score cheap political point and get at perceived enemies.
“In the face of the persecution, the values which the Jonathan’s held so strong remains in the minds of Nigerian masses and there is no amount of campaign of calumny targeted at his person, that can destroy those values.
“NANS hereby call on the EFCC, FCTA, to obey court rulings instead of blackmailing the court by filing stay of execution aimed at circumventing the rule of law.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants