By Ochuko Akuopha
NATIONAL Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, Zone B, has berated the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, over what it described as the commission’s brazen disregard of court ruling ordering the unfreezing of bank account of Mrs. Patience Jonathan.
In a statement by its coordinator, Comrade Pedro Obi, the students said the commission was only being used as a vehicle to persecute and get at perceived opponents.
The statement said: “The action of the commission and Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA against Mrs. Jonathan and Arira Richard Foundation, has no doubt brought to fore, that EFCC’s chairman, Ibrahim Magu is not alone in this wild goose chase.
“NANS therefore, rejects the persecution of the former first family in all ramifications, as the precedent that is being set by the EFCC in persecuting the former first family may cause, an incumbent administration, who loses election in the future not to concede defeat, knowing full well that political persecution awaits you.
“This is a dangerous trend that must not be allowed to take root in the psyche of Nigerians. This is cancerous to the democratic development of our nascent democracy.
“As an intellectual and revolutionary based organizations, NANS will continue to demand for the strengthening of our democratic and financial institutions, where individuals as in the case of Magu, will no longer take advantage of the offices they occupy to score cheap political point and get at perceived enemies.
“In the face of the persecution, the values which the Jonathan’s held so strong remains in the minds of Nigerian masses and there is no amount of campaign of calumny targeted at his person, that can destroy those values.
“NANS hereby call on the EFCC, FCTA, to obey court rulings instead of blackmailing the court by filing stay of execution aimed at circumventing the rule of law.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari should apologise to Atiku – Sen. Shehu Sani
- Search of Atiku, an attack on Opposition – Peter Obi
- CBN, NDIC monitor investigation of Skye Bank directors
- 2019: INEC in dilemma over security risk in North East
- 2019: Human Rights Community sensitizes voters against vote buying
- 2019: How APC plot to hinder Atiku from moving funds – PDP
- Pretty Lady & Her Fiance Share Cute Pre-wedding Photos
- Saraki must vacant senate presidency, Oshiomhole insists
- I'll Avoid Trial Until FG Obeys My Bail Rulings - Ex-NSA Dasuki Tells Court
- See Popular Actor John Dumelo's Farm
- Buhari Attacks Kwankwaso, Accuses Him Of Diverting Kano Funds For Campaign
- Female Speaker Of Anambra Assembly Impeached
- 2019 Election: INEC, Police, civil society calls for peace
- LG is meant to be autonomous from the state – Obasanjo
- Okorocha engages Oshiomhole in crossfire
- Allegri: I hope to stay for a long time
- Messi: Anyone can get beaten
- Conte: Real Madrid’s job is not good for me
- Joachim Low: we want to return to wining ways
- 2019: Youths declared APC obituary in Akwa Ibom
- Panic as poisoned food flood Nigerian markets
- Akeredolu declares war on journalists, bans coverage of government activities
- See 13 things Bankyw said after he announced his political ambition
- Aremu Afolayan slams Buhari, Governor Ambode over inefficient airport staff
- Thierry Henry: Monaco must stay positive despite struggles
- Oil prices determined to stay within $80
- Suarez fight with Barca star after loss
- Hazard: World Cup heroics drained me
- Higuain’s brutal revenge on CR7 for Juventus exit turned sour
- Sergio Busquets’ classy message to Real Betis manager after Barcelona’s 4-3 loss
- Man Allegedly Commits Suicide After Losing Church Money
- Police Arrest Four 'One Chance' Suspects, Female Underwear Found On Them
- Identical Twins Graduate With First Class From University Of Ibadan (Photos)
- 2019: Akwa Ibom Govt accuses EFCC of working for APC
- Fashola renders account of three years stewardship
- 2019: Peter Obi warns El-Rufai to stop Hate Speech
- Am fighting for state police – Osinbajo
- How N5m gift from a Facebook ‘Good Samaritan’ took me to jail
- 4 reasons women prefer these pot-belly-men to regular 6-pack-men
- Nigeria’s greatest problem is corruption, not restructuring- Osinbajo