…Says Anyim kept under inhuman conditions
By Kingsley Omonobi, Abuja
Constitutional Lawyer and Human Rights Activist, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, has raised the alarm that former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim was still being detained in EFCC Gulag, days after planted reports in the media by the commission claimed that he has been allowed to go home on administrative bail.
Declaring that the former SGF who has fulfilled all administrative conditions including tendering of his international passport, was being kept under inhuman and degrading conditions by the EFCC, Ozekhome alerted that Anyim was being compelled under duress and undue influence to sign all manner of self-incriminating and property stripping documents against his will.
He described repeated reports in the media that Chief Anyim has been granted administrative bail, as a lie and called on the Attorney General of the Federation, Malami to prevail on the EFCC to respect the rule of law and Administration of Justice act and release the former SFG forthwith to enable him receive medical treatment
A statement signed by the Senior Advocate of Nigeria said, “We are solicitors to Chief Anyim Pius, former SGF who was detained by EFCC and has since been kept in its Gulag for about 9 days.
“Our attention has been drawn to carefully planted false and misleading reports published in various online and newsprint publications to the effect that Anyim has since Wednesday 22nd November, been released by the EFCC on administrative bail.
“This is a lie from the pit of hell. Those false reports that credit their source to unnamed sources within the EFCC have continued to circulate throughout Thursday and Friday with intent to deceive the world and divert its attention from the gross abuse of the fundamental rights of Anyim who has been kept under inhuman and degrading conditions for this unconstitutionally lengthy period.
“The truth is that Anyim is still held in EFCC custody up till this minute in spite of fulfilling all administrative bail conditions including deposit of his international passport, and being compelled under duress and undue influence to sign all manner of self-incriminating and property stripping documents against his will.
“In spite of these and the clear position of sections 35 and 36 of the Nigerian Constitution and the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), the EFCC has bluntly refused to release Anyim to go attend to his very poor health which he was receiving treatment before he was forcibly taken away from his home.
“This is calling on the Attorney General of the Federation and minister of Justice to prevail on the EFCC (Law and Enforcement Agencies) to respect the rule of law and the constitution they have sworn to respect and protect, by promptly ordering Anyim’s release forthwith, since no charges have been preferred against him and since he has fulfilled all administrative bail conditions.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants