…Says Anyim kept under inhuman conditions
By Kingsley Omonobi, Abuja
Constitutional Lawyer and Human Rights Activist, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, has raised the alarm that former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim was still being detained in EFCC Gulag, days after planted reports in the media by the commission claimed that he has been allowed to go home on administrative bail.
Declaring that the former SGF who has fulfilled all administrative conditions including tendering of his international passport, was being kept under inhuman and degrading conditions by the EFCC, Ozekhome alerted that Anyim was being compelled under duress and undue influence to sign all manner of self-incriminating and property stripping documents against his will.
He described repeated reports in the media that Chief Anyim has been granted administrative bail, as a lie and called on the Attorney General of the Federation, Malami to prevail on the EFCC to respect the rule of law and Administration of Justice act and release the former SFG forthwith to enable him receive medical treatment
A statement signed by the Senior Advocate of Nigeria said, “We are solicitors to Chief Anyim Pius, former SGF who was detained by EFCC and has since been kept in its Gulag for about 9 days.
“Our attention has been drawn to carefully planted false and misleading reports published in various online and newsprint publications to the effect that Anyim has since Wednesday 22nd November, been released by the EFCC on administrative bail.
“This is a lie from the pit of hell. Those false reports that credit their source to unnamed sources within the EFCC have continued to circulate throughout Thursday and Friday with intent to deceive the world and divert its attention from the gross abuse of the fundamental rights of Anyim who has been kept under inhuman and degrading conditions for this unconstitutionally lengthy period.
“The truth is that Anyim is still held in EFCC custody up till this minute in spite of fulfilling all administrative bail conditions including deposit of his international passport, and being compelled under duress and undue influence to sign all manner of self-incriminating and property stripping documents against his will.
“In spite of these and the clear position of sections 35 and 36 of the Nigerian Constitution and the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), the EFCC has bluntly refused to release Anyim to go attend to his very poor health which he was receiving treatment before he was forcibly taken away from his home.
“This is calling on the Attorney General of the Federation and minister of Justice to prevail on the EFCC (Law and Enforcement Agencies) to respect the rule of law and the constitution they have sworn to respect and protect, by promptly ordering Anyim’s release forthwith, since no charges have been preferred against him and since he has fulfilled all administrative bail conditions.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari should apologise to Atiku – Sen. Shehu Sani
- Search of Atiku, an attack on Opposition – Peter Obi
- CBN, NDIC monitor investigation of Skye Bank directors
- 2019: INEC in dilemma over security risk in North East
- 2019: Human Rights Community sensitizes voters against vote buying
- 2019: How APC plot to hinder Atiku from moving funds – PDP
- Pretty Lady & Her Fiance Share Cute Pre-wedding Photos
- Saraki must vacant senate presidency, Oshiomhole insists
- I'll Avoid Trial Until FG Obeys My Bail Rulings - Ex-NSA Dasuki Tells Court
- See Popular Actor John Dumelo's Farm
- Buhari Attacks Kwankwaso, Accuses Him Of Diverting Kano Funds For Campaign
- Female Speaker Of Anambra Assembly Impeached
- 2019 Election: INEC, Police, civil society calls for peace
- LG is meant to be autonomous from the state – Obasanjo
- Okorocha engages Oshiomhole in crossfire
- Allegri: I hope to stay for a long time
- Messi: Anyone can get beaten
- Conte: Real Madrid’s job is not good for me
- Joachim Low: we want to return to wining ways
- 2019: Youths declared APC obituary in Akwa Ibom
- Panic as poisoned food flood Nigerian markets
- Akeredolu declares war on journalists, bans coverage of government activities
- See 13 things Bankyw said after he announced his political ambition
- Aremu Afolayan slams Buhari, Governor Ambode over inefficient airport staff
- Thierry Henry: Monaco must stay positive despite struggles
- Oil prices determined to stay within $80
- Suarez fight with Barca star after loss
- Hazard: World Cup heroics drained me
- Higuain’s brutal revenge on CR7 for Juventus exit turned sour
- Sergio Busquets’ classy message to Real Betis manager after Barcelona’s 4-3 loss
- Man Allegedly Commits Suicide After Losing Church Money
- Police Arrest Four 'One Chance' Suspects, Female Underwear Found On Them
- Identical Twins Graduate With First Class From University Of Ibadan (Photos)
- 2019: Akwa Ibom Govt accuses EFCC of working for APC
- Fashola renders account of three years stewardship
- 2019: Peter Obi warns El-Rufai to stop Hate Speech
- Am fighting for state police – Osinbajo
- How N5m gift from a Facebook ‘Good Samaritan’ took me to jail
- 4 reasons women prefer these pot-belly-men to regular 6-pack-men
- Nigeria’s greatest problem is corruption, not restructuring- Osinbajo