…Says Anyim kept under inhuman conditions
By Kingsley Omonobi, Abuja
Constitutional Lawyer and Human Rights Activist, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, has raised the alarm that former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim was still being detained in EFCC Gulag, days after planted reports in the media by the commission claimed that he has been allowed to go home on administrative bail.
Declaring that the former SGF who has fulfilled all administrative conditions including tendering of his international passport, was being kept under inhuman and degrading conditions by the EFCC, Ozekhome alerted that Anyim was being compelled under duress and undue influence to sign all manner of self-incriminating and property stripping documents against his will.
He described repeated reports in the media that Chief Anyim has been granted administrative bail, as a lie and called on the Attorney General of the Federation, Malami to prevail on the EFCC to respect the rule of law and Administration of Justice act and release the former SFG forthwith to enable him receive medical treatment
A statement signed by the Senior Advocate of Nigeria said, “We are solicitors to Chief Anyim Pius, former SGF who was detained by EFCC and has since been kept in its Gulag for about 9 days.
“Our attention has been drawn to carefully planted false and misleading reports published in various online and newsprint publications to the effect that Anyim has since Wednesday 22nd November, been released by the EFCC on administrative bail.
“This is a lie from the pit of hell. Those false reports that credit their source to unnamed sources within the EFCC have continued to circulate throughout Thursday and Friday with intent to deceive the world and divert its attention from the gross abuse of the fundamental rights of Anyim who has been kept under inhuman and degrading conditions for this unconstitutionally lengthy period.
“The truth is that Anyim is still held in EFCC custody up till this minute in spite of fulfilling all administrative bail conditions including deposit of his international passport, and being compelled under duress and undue influence to sign all manner of self-incriminating and property stripping documents against his will.
“In spite of these and the clear position of sections 35 and 36 of the Nigerian Constitution and the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), the EFCC has bluntly refused to release Anyim to go attend to his very poor health which he was receiving treatment before he was forcibly taken away from his home.
“This is calling on the Attorney General of the Federation and minister of Justice to prevail on the EFCC (Law and Enforcement Agencies) to respect the rule of law and the constitution they have sworn to respect and protect, by promptly ordering Anyim’s release forthwith, since no charges have been preferred against him and since he has fulfilled all administrative bail conditions.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019: PDP at crossroads
- Nigeria envoy wants citizens banned from Saudi Arabia
- Nigeria’s economy still struggling, says expert
- House deputy Speaker fumes, states position on defection from APC
- Yinka Ayefele’s FM Continues Broadcasting Despite Demolition
- See How A Female Soldier Brutalize Her Househelp In Lagos
- FIFA Ban : Who can save Nigeria from herself ?
- Oyo state government demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s radio station
- FCMB staff abscond with N500m customers’ deposits
- Buhari writes to NASS, threatens to jail anybody found corrupt
- Buhari’s Kinsmen Pressurising Him To Reinstate Sacked Daura — Junaid Mohammed
- Police Headquarters To Conduct Psychiatric Test On SARS
- Craziest thing I’ve done was slapping my father – Femi Adebayo
- Killer Herdsmen Engage Soldiers In Heavy Shoot Out
- PHOTOS: Yinka Ayefele's Building Demolished By Oyo Government
- Okorocha Facing Tough Times In Bid For His Son-in-Law
- I am not happy taking key players to foreign clubs –Coach Boboye
- I want NPFL to kick off —Coach Fidelis
- Kada City James Joseph, 3 others jet out for trials in Dubai, Turkey
- Club owners , others storm Imo for Heartland FC boss
- Wilder ready for Fury this year
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Top Tips For Pregnant Travellers
- Female Presidential aspirant, Eunice Atuejide suspended by party over "corruption"
- Nigerian Who Escaped Death Penalty In Malaysia, Re-Arrested
- Sad Tales Of Delta Schoolgirls Lured Into Pros-titution In Lagos
- Buhari Returns To Aso Rock, Moves To Take Action On Daura
- Where there are women, there will be evil – Actress Liz Anjorin
- Saraki, Dogara Plan Joint Session To Avert Impeachment?
- Tears Of Nigerian Journalists: The Gory Tales Under Buhari
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed