Members of the Nigerian Union of Journalists(NUJ) and the Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union(RATTAWU) chapters of Gotel Communications Limited, Yola, Adamawa state have debunked a report by a popular online medium, alleging that the company, owned by the Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, is owing members of the staff a month’s salary.
The unions also described as wicked, the claim in the said report that the former vice president has a care-free attitude towards the company.
In a statement jointly signed by the chairmen, RATTAWU, NUJ, Mohammed Ahmed Mustapha and Muhammad Aliyu Mustapha, respectively, the union said the true position of events at Gotel Communication is that “those who were dis-engaged completely were paid their severance allowances.”
The union also said that those who resigned did so based on their personal interests of searching for greener pasture and were not disengaged as claimed by the online medium.
The statement reads thus:
“The attention of the leadership of the Gotel Communications Limited chapters of the above named unions, has been drawn to a publication by an online news medium, PREMIUM TIMES, dated October 8 to the effect that ‘the staff of the multimedia organization, owned by former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, are currently in distress over owed severance benefits and delays in payment of salaries. It equally claimed that ‘crisis was brewing in the media outfit due to unpaid entitlements following the disengagement of the staff’s previous appointments’. The said publication further blamed the situation on what it called the founder’s ‘carefree attitude’.
Following the above allegations, a joint meeting of NUJ and RATTAWU chapters of Gotel Communications Limited Yola, Adamawa State reacts as follows:
That it is untrue that our members are in distress over non-payment of severance benefits.
That the dis-engagement and re-absorption exercise took place in 2016.
That those dis-engaged completely, were paid their severance allowances.
That the re-absorbed members of staff were issued with dis-engagement letters and payment of the terminal benefits is ongoing, according to the understanding to implement the payment plan in phases.
That the statements credited to the Chairman of the restructuring committee to the effect that, the management would not pay the re-absorbed workers their severance allowances is diametrically opposed to the reality on ground at GOTEL Communication as payment has since begun in phases.
That those who resigned did so not because of the situation in Gotel, but in search for greener pasture, which is normal and obtains in every organization.
That members of our unions are not being owed one month salary as speculated in the poorly investigated report. The organization is up-to-date in terms of salary payment.
That it is tendentiously wicked for anyone to speculate and or allude that our founder , His Excellency Atiku Abubakar is carefree about his businesses. Only ignorance or outright mischief could have contrived such allegation as NONE of the three stations, FM radio, AM Radio and Gotel television has gone off the air for one day in its ten years of operation.
We also advice the promoters and or sponsors of the said story to desist from seeking political capital from scenarios they imagine would advance their parochial cause, no matter how banal such causes may seem.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south
- Injured trio return to training for Liverpool
- Brazil to inject $1.1bn into Nigeria’s agriculture, says envoy
- Musa skips his game to sort out family matter
- Billikisu is NWPL referee of the week
- Uber announces new safety toolkit app for operators
- UBA posts all-time high gross earnings for Q3
- FG proposes N8.6trn for 2019, plans tighter fiscal plan
- Nollywood actor, Lawyer task Federal government on qualitative education
- Ekiti: Fayose tackles Fayemi, DMO over debt profile
- Volunteer Medical Corps ready for 2018 conference
- 95% of workers in mega firms think their cybersecurity culture is poor — report