Chimamanda Adichie has received the 2018 PEN Pinter prize for her outstanding work of literary merit that has defined the truth in human lives and societies.
The critically acclaimed author received the coveted prize at an award-giving ceremony, which took place at the British Library in the United Kingdom, on Tuesday.
Adichie was selected by this year’s judges, Inua Ellams, Philippe Sands, Antonia Fraser and Chair of English PEN and Chair of Judges, Maureen Freely.
She is the first African to have clinched the award which is focused on defending and promoting freedom of expression, while removing barriers to literature.
In her acceptance, Adichie said she feels honoured to have received the prize, which was established in 2009 in memory of the Nobel-winning playwright Harold Pinter.
“I admired Harold Pinter’s talent, his courage, his lucid dedication to telling his truth, and I am honoured to be given an award in his name,” she said.
At the ceremony, Adichie named Waleed Abulkhair, a lawyer and human rights activist, as the 2018 International Writer of Courage, a title awarded by the PEN Pinter winner each year.
Congratulating the Saudi Arabian lawyer and activist, she said: I am proud to share this year’s PEN Pinter Prize with activist, lawyer and writer Waleed Abulkhair.
“Waleed has dedicated his life to holding the Saudi authorities accountable for human rights abuses. He has dedicated his life to speaking out, to supporting the victims of those abuses.
“Waleed, like Harold Pinter, has shown a lucid dedication to telling his truth. But rather than being lauded for this dedication, Waleed has paid a heavy price – 15 years behind bars.
“I am deeply proud to share this prize with Waleed and I hope that this small act of solidarity will bring him some comfort, and will remind him that his struggle has not been forgotten, nor will it be in vain.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari’ll Win South-East Despite Obi’s Nomination – Okorocha's Son-in-Law
- Leaked Video Of Governor 'Receiving Bribe': Kano Govt. Reacts
- Suspected Robber Arrested 5 Days After Release From Prison
- Falana, Others To Buhari: Withdraw That Travel Ban Order
- We'll Support PDP in 2019 Because of Peter Obi - Ndigbo Youths assure Atiku
- Bride Looking Unhappy At Her Wedding
- Coach Paul Aigbogu denies link to Akwa United job
- Sarri’s Touchline Chat with Klopp revealed
- Atiku and Peter Obi at Obi Of Onitsha's Palace
- Fayose Ends Tenure In Tears, Heads To Abuja To Face EFCC
- I Stole Because Of My Girlfriend's Upkeep — Jobless Youth
- OMG! This Beautiful Lady May Be Killed Today By Boko Haram
- Buhari Excluded Omisore, Obanikoro From Travel Ban List?
- Mother Breaks Her Son’s Head Over N50 Meal In Lagos (Pics)
- Accept Peter Obi as Atiku’s VP, Jonathan tells Igbo PDP leaders
- Go To Court If You Like - Presidency tells critics of Travel Ban
- Truck Driver Loses Control, Crushes Married Woman To Death
- The Rise Of Peter Obi
- Okonjo-Iweala Debunks Reports Of Endorsing Buhari
- I Never Took A Dime From Any Political Candidate - Oyedepo
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Travel ban: Atiku, Falana whack Buhari
- Ighalo redeems his image in Super Eagles
- Patrick Baumann,rising star in Olympic circles, dies at 51
- Nigerian Army football team wins National League, gains promotion
- 60,000 children die yearly of Diarrhea in Nigeria, says WaterAid
- 2019: Buhari begins massive clampdown on opposition
- Crawford retains WBO Welterweight title against Jose Benavidez Jr
- Atiku Reacts To Buhari's Controversial Travel Ban List
- Why I reconciled Atiku with Obasanjo- Sheikh Gumi
- Top NPFL stars YSFON U-18, set for AMAPRO 2018
- Cassano retires seven days after he started training with Virtus Entella
- See How Buhari & Atiku Will Likely Share Votes In 2019
- Buhari’s executive order is repressive, illegal, says SERAP
- EFCC intercepts illegal gold export at Airport
- EFCC seizes N1b gold at Abuja airport, goes after rich suspects
- Photo From Atiku's Meeting With British High Commissioner
- The acquiescence of the Nigerian police: A case of conspiracy to assassinate Sen. Dino Melaye
- NFF leadership crisis behind Super Eagles poor display –Sharu
- Igbo leaders challenge Atiku’s nomination of Obi as running mate