Twenty people have been arrested as police press a manhunt for Africa’s youngest billionaire who was kidnapped in Dar es Salaam two days ago, a minister said Saturday.
Mohammed Dewji, who at 43 is Africa’s youngest billionaire, was snatched by gunmen as he entered a hotel gym in Tanzania’s economic capital on Thursday morning.
“Up until now, 20 people have been arrested,” Interior Minister Kangi Lugola told reporters, without giving any detail on their identities. “Security forces are working day and night” to find him.
Officials have implicated the involvement of foreigners, saying he was taken by “whites”.
Dewji is chief executive of the MeTL Group which operates in some 10 countries and has interests in agriculture, insurance, transport, logistics and the food industry.
According to Forbes, he is worth $1.5 billion (1.29 billion euros) and ranks 17th on the list of African billionaires.
Between 2005-2015, he served as a member of parliament and in 2013, he became the first Tanzanian to grace the cover of Forbes magazine. Two years later, he was named Forbes’ Africa Person of the Year.
Dewji is also the main shareholder in Tanzania’s Simba FC football club.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Linda Ikeji Pregnancy: Jeremi to say his side of story before general elections
- 5 tactical questions ahead of Liverpool versus Man Utd
- Move To Override Buhari On Electoral Bill Begins?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- CAN Dissolves Elders' Forum Over Claims Of 'N40m Gift' From President Buhari
- Yahoo Boy & Wife Busted In Their Home; SUV, Others Recovered
- Osinbajo, Peter Obi's Top Positions At The VP Debate Yesterday
- Inflation Increases To 11.28% Due To Higher Food Prices
- Husband Slashes Wife's Head Because Of Another Woman
- You're Making Empty Threats - APC replies Buhari's man, Shittu
- Female Judge In 'Fraud' Mess, Justice Ajumogobis Collapses In Court
- Retired Deputy Police Commissioner, Wife Shot Dead
- Police Officer Who Leads A Robbery Gang Exposed In Lagos As Gang Member Confesses
- Fayose Mobbed As He Returns To Ekiti (Photos)
- Woman Shares Scary Experience During Flight To Enugu As Plane Nearly Crashed (Photos)
- Why we retained fuel subsidy – Osinbajo
- 10 biggest news stories in Nigeria in 2018, according to Google Trends
- The 11 Best Movies Coming Out in December
- The fall of Man Utd XI
- Court fixes February for bench ruling on Magu’s N5bn libel suit
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery construction begins
- Nigeria sues Shell, Eni $1.1b over Malabu oil license
- Buhari okays 65-year retirement age for teachers
- Preparing our children for the changing nature of work—it’s gigs not jobs in the 21st century
- Lagos International Trade Fair Boss crowned Yeye Oge Ogbere
- Young Girl Breaks Record At National Sport Festival In Abuja
- Buhari Just Told Us The Economy Is In Bad Shape, says Gov Yari
- White Woman Flies From Her Country To Arrest Yahoo Boy Who Duped Her N8m
- Donald Duke Sacked As SDP Presidential Candidate
- Notorious Robbers Busted After Successful Operation (Photos)
- PHOTOS: 102-Year-Old Woman Becomes Oldest Skydiver, Flies Down From The Sky On Birthday
- Exposed: Agency Headed By Buhari's In-law Violating Nigeria's Procurement Law
- Emotional Moment Oby Ezekwesili 'Bursts Into Tears' (Photos)
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Goes Missing (Photos)
- I'm Not Desperate For Power - Buhari Speaks On Electoral Bill
- Popular Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises In Calabar
- Rivers APC Saga: Court Asked To Order INEC To Remove APC Candidates' Names
- EFCC Chairman: I'm Glad Senate Didn't Confirm Me, says Magu
- Protest in Lagos as F-SARS Officer kills truck driver over bribe
- Suspected Ritualists Abduct 13-day-old Baby While Mother Was Sleeping