John Onaiyekan, Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, has called on Nigerians to ensure that politicians they support are really interested in service to the country, rather than to themselves.
He also called on the people to “stop looking for local heroes and tribal champions, who most of the time, do not care, really, about our local needs nor those of the nation”.
This formed part of his address at the Interfaith Conference on Religious Harmony in Nigeria, held in Abuja on Saturday.
Onaiyekan also lamented selfishness, which he is at th root of corruption.
His words: “Selfishness at all levels — personal, family, tribal, regional, and even religious — this is at the root of corruption, violence, disloyalty and the win-at-all-cost and by-all-means syndrome at elections. If we continue this way, good governance, genuine democracy, national unity, peace and prosperity for all Nigerians will continue to elude us.”
“We need a concept of politics that is based on the readiness to serve the common good of all Nigerians. The emphasis should be on service, not self-service. We the people, on our part, should stop looking for local heroes and tribal champions, who most of the time, do not care, really, about our local needs nor those of the nation.”
He also called on religious leaders to focus on messages that will see to the common good of the entire society.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP Will Never Come Back To Aso Rock, says Osinbajo
- Shock As Newly Married Lady Falls To Her Death While Taking Special Photo
- Muslim Woman Donates Wrappers To Christian Widows For Christmas Celebration
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NFF fails to promote NNL clubs that made me resigned —Olopade
- NSF: Charity Izevbokun wins first Gold For Edo — Kehinde Osagiede
- We will strive to raise the bar as the best tournament in Nigeria – Inuwa.
- We will prepare hard and take our chances – Dennerby
- Team Anambra target is ten gold medals —- Emeka Egbutu
- WAFU Cup: Flying Eagles up against Junior Mena
- FG, Abia sign definitive agreements Enyimba Economic City
- FRSC worries about Kaduna-Abuja roads
- 2019: Obasanjo insists he wants Buhari out
- South Africa, Cameroon not downcast
- Only A Fool Will Be Neutral When Nigeria Suffer Incompetence & Nepotism – Obasanjo
- Court May Compel Buhari To Investigate Ganduje's Dollar Bribe
- Electoral Amendment: Majority leader backs Buhari
- Northern Leaders Withdraw Support for Buhari over Revelation by his wife, Aisha?
- Police Beat Up Popular Actor Gideon Okeke In Lagos (Photos)
- Man Disgraced As He Was Caught Trying To Steal Ladies' Pant For Money Ritual in Delta
- FG states resolve on INEC’s security
- Super Falcons to know World Cup foes
- Beach Soccer AFCON: Supersand Eagles tackle Senegal
- Father Mbaka ‘Escapes’ Assassination
- Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate: PDP Moves To Get Other Parties' Support
- David De Gea is ranked best goalkeeper
- 19th NSF games schedule for Saturday as 23 events go down today
- Team Anambra should stay together to win —-Tony Oli
- NAPF President, Babaginda bails out ailing former Footballer
- Salah sets Liverpool record
- Women’s World Cup draw pits England against Scotland
- I’m in National team to build my profile, not for money—- Aigbogun
- NSF: Loveth Aboki gives Edo first medal in Power lifting
- Honest Security Guard Praised For Returning Lost Wallet Filled With Cash In Abuja
- Tinubu Showers Family Of Late 'Baba Sala' With Cash
- Serious Air Tragedy Averted As Plane Tyres Refuse To Eject In PH Airport While Landing
- Electoral Act: National Assembly Plans To Override Buhari
- Reactions Trailing Freezing Of Peter Obi’s Accounts
- APC Headquarters In Dilemma Over Amosun, Okorocha
- Forget The Past, Vote Buhari, Sanwo-Olu – Ambode