Former Arsenal star Thierry Henry was on Saturday named as Monaco coach, to replace Leonardo Jardim, sacked midweek, the struggling Ligue 1 club announced.
The 41-year-old French World Cup winner, who had been working as an assistant coach for the Belgian national team since 2016, signed a contract with Monaco through until June 2021.
The former striker will be joined by Joao Carlos Valado Tralhao, under-23 coach at Benfica, and Patrick Kwame Ampadu, coach at the Arsenal Academy.
Jardim was sacked midweek following a string of poor results that left Monaco languishing in 18th in France’s Ligue 1.
Henry knows Monaco well having graduated from their youth system and making his professional debut for the Principality club in 1994.
He notably scored seven goals in the 1997-8 Champions League as the Monaco team of the time, then coached by Arsene Wenger, reached the semi-finals, where they lost to Juventus.
“First of all, I thank AS Monaco for giving me the opportunity to coach the team of this club which is so special to me,” Henry said.
“I am very happy to come back to AS Monaco and extremely determined to meet the challenges ahead. I can not wait to meet the players to start working together.”
After spending five seasons as a player with Monaco, Henry went on to play for Juventus, Arsenal, Barcelona and the New York Red Bulls.
He scored 51 goals in 123 appearances for France, winning not only the 1998 World Cup but also Euro 2000.
Monaco chief executive officer Vadim Vasilyev, said Henry could “count on our trust and all our support to bring a new dynamic to the team and carry out the mission”.
“His knowledge of football, his passion for the game, his high standards and his commitment to our colours make his nomination a reality.
“Thierry is both aware of the task ahead and eager to start his new job.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- What gas flaring costs Nigeria annually- Expert
- Atiku courts Southwest with SGF slot
- How Atiku betrayed Ekweremadu, others
- Labour to embark on another nationwide strike
- Photos Of Fayose At The Airport
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Powerful Forces Want Me Out Of APC
- "Only Buhari Can Fire Me" - Suspended NHIS Boss Insists
- Man Finds Out His Wife Got Pregnant For 4 Men; DNA Shows He's Not The Father Of Their 4 Kids
- Yahoo Boy Kills Policeman While Trying To Evade Arrest In Delta
- Ex-Chief Justice of Nigeria Idris Kutigi Dies In London Hospital
- I Will Still Contest In 2019 - Senator Shehu Sani
- Fayose Leaves EFCC Office As He Flies To Lagos
- Nigerian Man Weds Beautiful Oyinbo Woman In Style (Photos)
- Buhari Reacts To Killing Of 55 People In Kaduna Violence
- PHOTOS: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To First Child At 67
- Ambode In Trouble? Plot To Impeach Him Hots Up
- Questions Reuters, Aljazeera, the Economist, AP, others ask Lai about Atiku, PDP
- Omawumi Describes Buhari As "Incompetent Old Man"
- PDP Says Female Appeal Court President Is Close To APC
- Police Officers’ Wives Rescued From Deadly Kidnappers
- PDP Headquarters Gives Tambuwal Sokoto Guber Ticket
- Nigerian Prince Weds 2 Ladies Same Day In Delta (Photos)
- Obanikoro, 16 Others To Testify Against Fayose (DETAILS)
- Mbaka To Atiku: Don't Be Like Buhari If You Become President
- Tonto Dikeh's Sister Drinks Hypo To End Her Life?
- After working for APC; Omisore, Obanikoro, get their passports from EFCC
- Pastor Sleeping With Married Woman? 3 Corpses Found In His House (Photos)
- Dino Reacts To Shehu Sani Leaving APC At the Wrong Time
- More Troubles For Atiku From Igbo Leaders... Saraki intervenes
- Nnamdi Kanu Called Me, He Agreed To Work To Defeat Buhari - Fani-Kayode
- Polio Victim Who Just Finished NYSC Shares Touching Story
- Wife Cries Out As Her Husband Got Married To Another Lady
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ooni's New Wife Leads Praise & Worship In His Palace (Photos)
- Why APC Sen. Shehu Sani defects
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League