– Some retired generals are in support of Obasanjo’s endorsement of Atiku for 2019 presidency
– Major General David Jemibewon (retd.) said as far as the PDP is concerned, Atiku is the best candidate
– On his part, Brigadier-General Ajibola Togun (retd.) said Obasanjo did the right thing by forgiving Atiku and seeking a way to move the country forward
The endorsement of former vice president Atiku Abubakar for 2019 presidency by former president Olusegun Obasanjo has received the support of a former minister of police affairs, Major General David Jemibewon (retd.), and a former director of military intelligence, Brigadier-General Ajibola Togun (retd.).
Recall that Obasanjo on Thursday, October 11, declared his support for Atiku, four days after the ex-VP emerged as the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
In reaction to the development, Jemibewon, who served as military governor of the defunct Western Nigeria, said Obasanjo was eminently qualified to assess the political situations in Nigeria, The Punch reports.
He said: “People may argue Obasanjo had consistently given bad report or opinions on Atiku but the salient question is: Is it not possible that you may hold an opinion today and tomorrow you hold another opinion?
“I think he has the right to do that and he has not violated any law, written or unwritten for doing that. He is expressing his democratic right. And I do not think anybody can query that.
“Chief Obasanjo had occupied that highest position in the country and so if anybody is really qualified to make an assessment of any situation politically in this country, he is the one.”
According to him, the former president has a right to his personal opinion and those who are castigating him are also expressing their opinions.
On Atiku’s presidential candidacy, Jemibewon said, Nigerians should do what they believe is right constitutionally in the 2019 elections.
“As far as the PDP is concerned, Atiku is the best. He is a qualified person and we pray he succeeds and that the country makes progress under his presidency. Atiku has the qualities to move the economy, unite Nigerians and address insecurity, insurgency and other developmental challenges of the country,” he said.
Also speaking, Togun, a former deputy director of States Security Services (now Department of State Services), also commended Obasanjo for forgiving and endorsing Atiku. He said Obasanjo did the right thing by letting go of the past and seeking a way to move the country forward. He added that what Obasanjo did is for the good of this country
“There’s nothing wrong with what Obasanjo did. He did it as a matter of candidacy and not really as a party issue. They had differences, but from what the ex-President said, he said he saw that the former Vice President had retraced some of his steps,” Togun added.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com reported earlier that Professor Danny McCain, ambassador, Global Scholars from the United States of America, called on the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), President Muhammadu Buhari, and that of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), former vice president Atiku Abubakar, to accept the outcome of the 2019 presidential election to avoid bloodshed in the country.
McCain said every vote must count and the outcome of the election must reflect the aspirations of the people.
Buhari vs Atiku – 2019 Elections on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- What gas flaring costs Nigeria annually- Expert
- Atiku courts Southwest with SGF slot
- How Atiku betrayed Ekweremadu, others
- Labour to embark on another nationwide strike
- Photos Of Fayose At The Airport
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Powerful Forces Want Me Out Of APC
- "Only Buhari Can Fire Me" - Suspended NHIS Boss Insists
- Man Finds Out His Wife Got Pregnant For 4 Men; DNA Shows He's Not The Father Of Their 4 Kids
- Yahoo Boy Kills Policeman While Trying To Evade Arrest In Delta
- Ex-Chief Justice of Nigeria Idris Kutigi Dies In London Hospital
- I Will Still Contest In 2019 - Senator Shehu Sani
- Fayose Leaves EFCC Office As He Flies To Lagos
- Nigerian Man Weds Beautiful Oyinbo Woman In Style (Photos)
- Buhari Reacts To Killing Of 55 People In Kaduna Violence
- PHOTOS: Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To First Child At 67
- Ambode In Trouble? Plot To Impeach Him Hots Up
- Questions Reuters, Aljazeera, the Economist, AP, others ask Lai about Atiku, PDP
- Omawumi Describes Buhari As "Incompetent Old Man"
- PDP Says Female Appeal Court President Is Close To APC
- Police Officers’ Wives Rescued From Deadly Kidnappers
- PDP Headquarters Gives Tambuwal Sokoto Guber Ticket
- Nigerian Prince Weds 2 Ladies Same Day In Delta (Photos)
- Obanikoro, 16 Others To Testify Against Fayose (DETAILS)
- Mbaka To Atiku: Don't Be Like Buhari If You Become President
- Tonto Dikeh's Sister Drinks Hypo To End Her Life?
- After working for APC; Omisore, Obanikoro, get their passports from EFCC
- Pastor Sleeping With Married Woman? 3 Corpses Found In His House (Photos)
- Dino Reacts To Shehu Sani Leaving APC At the Wrong Time
- More Troubles For Atiku From Igbo Leaders... Saraki intervenes
- Nnamdi Kanu Called Me, He Agreed To Work To Defeat Buhari - Fani-Kayode
- Polio Victim Who Just Finished NYSC Shares Touching Story
- Wife Cries Out As Her Husband Got Married To Another Lady
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ooni's New Wife Leads Praise & Worship In His Palace (Photos)
- Why APC Sen. Shehu Sani defects
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League