– Some retired generals are in support of Obasanjo’s endorsement of Atiku for 2019 presidency
– Major General David Jemibewon (retd.) said as far as the PDP is concerned, Atiku is the best candidate
– On his part, Brigadier-General Ajibola Togun (retd.) said Obasanjo did the right thing by forgiving Atiku and seeking a way to move the country forward
The endorsement of former vice president Atiku Abubakar for 2019 presidency by former president Olusegun Obasanjo has received the support of a former minister of police affairs, Major General David Jemibewon (retd.), and a former director of military intelligence, Brigadier-General Ajibola Togun (retd.).
Recall that Obasanjo on Thursday, October 11, declared his support for Atiku, four days after the ex-VP emerged as the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
In reaction to the development, Jemibewon, who served as military governor of the defunct Western Nigeria, said Obasanjo was eminently qualified to assess the political situations in Nigeria, The Punch reports.
He said: “People may argue Obasanjo had consistently given bad report or opinions on Atiku but the salient question is: Is it not possible that you may hold an opinion today and tomorrow you hold another opinion?
“I think he has the right to do that and he has not violated any law, written or unwritten for doing that. He is expressing his democratic right. And I do not think anybody can query that.
“Chief Obasanjo had occupied that highest position in the country and so if anybody is really qualified to make an assessment of any situation politically in this country, he is the one.”
According to him, the former president has a right to his personal opinion and those who are castigating him are also expressing their opinions.
On Atiku’s presidential candidacy, Jemibewon said, Nigerians should do what they believe is right constitutionally in the 2019 elections.
“As far as the PDP is concerned, Atiku is the best. He is a qualified person and we pray he succeeds and that the country makes progress under his presidency. Atiku has the qualities to move the economy, unite Nigerians and address insecurity, insurgency and other developmental challenges of the country,” he said.
Also speaking, Togun, a former deputy director of States Security Services (now Department of State Services), also commended Obasanjo for forgiving and endorsing Atiku. He said Obasanjo did the right thing by letting go of the past and seeking a way to move the country forward. He added that what Obasanjo did is for the good of this country
“There’s nothing wrong with what Obasanjo did. He did it as a matter of candidacy and not really as a party issue. They had differences, but from what the ex-President said, he said he saw that the former Vice President had retraced some of his steps,” Togun added.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com reported earlier that Professor Danny McCain, ambassador, Global Scholars from the United States of America, called on the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), President Muhammadu Buhari, and that of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), former vice president Atiku Abubakar, to accept the outcome of the 2019 presidential election to avoid bloodshed in the country.
McCain said every vote must count and the outcome of the election must reflect the aspirations of the people.
Buhari vs Atiku – 2019 Elections on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- APC guber candidate in certificate scandal
- Account for money spent on military operations, SERAP tells Buratai
- My rift with Tinubu is on democratic values, says Agbaje
- Boko Haram raids another community in Borno
- Atiku blasts Buhari over absence at burial of 19 soldiers in Borno
- Christmas, New Year, political Campaigns: IGP Orders CPs, AIGs to beef-up of security
- FRSC will not tolerate unethical behavior of officers – Dr. Oyeyemi
- Supersand Eagles hold firm to World Cup ticket as Senegal rule Africa
- Edo pushes for 2nd position as Tech Director, others laud team performance —Kehinde Osagiede
- Swimmer Osayi on Federation Radar as Edo Govt promises nurturing of athlete
- EPL: Mourinho told to sell four Man United players in January
- Marcelo: Madrid Miss ‘Best in the World’ CR7
- NSF: Igali thrilled with impressive outings by states
- Groups battle Buratai on Army’s spending
- NASS staff strike may affect 2019 budget
- NAFDAC highlights plan to regulate traditional herbs
- SDP presidential candidate legal crisis escalates as court sacks Duke
- Few Tips To Moving Forward With Your Passion & Purpose
- APC Candidate In Ogun, Dapo Abiodun, In Certificate Scandal
- Why Obasanjo Turned Against Buhari After Helping Him Emerge President - Oyinlola Reveals
- Atiku To Work On Jonathan's Confab Report If Elected In 2019
- Throw Back Photo Of Osinbajo, FRSC Boss Fowler & Ade
- Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises Regains Freedom
- Fayose, Gov Fayemi In War Of Words Over Attack On ex-Gov.
- Charlyboy Weds Wife In Church After 40 Years, Drive In Keke
- APC To Its NASS Members: Don't Allow Electoral Bill Override
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Beautiful Pics Of Nigeria Police Couple Getting Married Today
- Road Safety State Commander Dies In Road Accident (Photos)
- OAP Toolz & Husband Tunde Demuren Welcome Baby Boy
- Tinubu Hits Saraki? Says Robbers Deny Nigeria Vibrant Senate Presidency
- Five Die In Terrible Accidents In Lagos (Photos)
- Drunk FRSC Official Bashes Man's Car In Lagos (Photos)
- National Assembly Staff Begin Strike Monday, Threaten Buhari's Budget Presentation
- Man Kidnaps Ex-Boss For Accusing Him Of Stealing, Demands N1m Ransom
- 6-Week-Old Baby Miraculously Survives Ebola
- Yahoo Boy, Banker Arrested For Defrauding Woman
- The President and His Wife
- Boko Haram: Between Buhari’s Amnesty And The Lives of Our Soldiers
- Adorable Photos Of Buhari & Wife, Aisha Melt Hearts