By Peter Duru, Makurdi
The Executive Secretary of the Benue Teaching Service Board, TSB, Dr. Wilfred Uji, yesterday disclosed that over 100,000 secondary school students have been thrown out of school following the renewed herdsmen crisis in the state since January.
Uji who made this known yesterday at the commissioning of the TSB administrative block in Makurdi, said the invading herdsmen also completely razed several secondary schools in Guma and Logo local government areas of the state.
He said, “some of the destroyed schools were GSS Daudu, GSS Gbajimba, GSS Tartyoh, GSS Torkula and others. These schools were actually completely burnt down by militant herdsmen.
“From our data, up to 100,000 secondary school students who were thrown out of schools as a result of the crisis have now found themselves displaced and are taking refuge in Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, camps.”
The Executive Secretary who appealed to the Federal Government to come to the aid of the state government by rebuilding the destroyed schools lamented that the state was also in dire need of teachers, “we will need about 4,000 more teachers to augment the number we have on ground at the moment.” In his speech, the Commissioner of Education, Science and Technology, Prof. Dennis Ityavyar said the state government had concluded plans to transfer all missionary schools to their original owners.
“By August of 2019, the state government will handover these schools to their owners because government believes that if these is done the schools will be properly run while government undertakes quality assurance monitoring,” Prof. Ityavyar said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- “Fayose to be detained indefinitely”
- Ekiti State ready to hijack Gold Cup Tourney from Benue State
- Akinwunmi encourage Super Eagles in Tunisia
- Makoko: Coalition of Civil Society Organizations task Ambode on police invasion, issues 21 days ultimatum
- NCC to sanction illegal auto tracking solutions providers
- Your candidacy not a meal ticket, Obasa counsels colleagues
- Shittu battles NYSC as Buhari waits for minister’s resignation
- Customs generates over N1b in 2 months
- Exam malpractice: Diarrhea prevents Adeleke from showing up in court; judge orders IGP to ensure arraignment
- IG of Police opposes demotion of officers by PSC Chairman
- 2019: Tinubu battles Amosun to regain South West leadership
- Pretty Lady Grabs Her Man Who Tries To Run In Pre-Wedding Photoshoot
- NERC to put limits on estimated billings
- Buhari explains why he bans 50 high-profile Nigerians
- You’re too arrogant, First Lady tells President
- Kalu speaks on his goal for Super Eagles
- Ocean Boys crown Champions Bayelsa Football League
- Leaked Bribe Videos: Impeachment Looms As Kano Assembly Begins Probe Of Governor
- IGP Orders Arrest Of Policemen Over Murder Of Abuja Lady
- Kukah: How I Convinced Obasanjo To End Feud With Atiku
- Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC
- Minister allays fear over Nigeria’s rising debt portfolio
- Travel ban, not political weapon against opposition- Presidency
- Sex & Masturbation: Secret Struggle Of Most Men & Women
- Osun United crash Rovers FC 1-0 at NNL
- Ambode holds press conference to herald 2019 race
- See How Worshipers Held Their Sunday Service After Church Got Submerged By Flood (Photos)
- Photos Of GEJ, His Daughter, Faith, Her Husband & Grandkids
- Ekiti boiling with emotion as Fayose faces EFCC October 15
- Amuwo Odofin constituents cry out over alleged stolen mandate, task Tinubu
- INEC Under Pressure To Return "Buhari's Sister" Amina Zakari To Head Operations?
- Pretty Lady, Anita Shot Dead In Front Of Her House In Abuja
- Meet The Man Behind Gov Ganduje's Leaked $5m Bribery Clip
- Buhari’ll Win South-East Despite Obi’s Nomination – Okorocha's Son-in-Law
- Leaked Video Of Governor 'Receiving Bribe': Kano Govt. Reacts
- Suspected Robber Arrested 5 Days After Release From Prison
- Falana, Others To Buhari: Withdraw That Travel Ban Order
- We'll Support PDP in 2019 Because of Peter Obi - Ndigbo Youths assure Atiku
- Bride Looking Unhappy At Her Wedding
- Coach Paul Aigbogu denies link to Akwa United job