– Senate leader Ahmed Lawan said national interest has overridden plot to impeach Bukola Saraki
– He said legislators were concerned about approving outstanding requests from President Buhari
Senate Leader Ahmad Lawan says the National Assembly is more focused on upholding national interests than pursuing personal or partisan agenda of impeachment of a member.
Speaking on the impeachment threat against Senate President Bukola Saraki, Lawan said that the National Assembly would continue to remain focused on issues and leave out partisan interests.
“We must be nationalistic; we must put national interest above individual, parochial or partisan interests.
“We definitely have to bury our hatchets for us to work for Nigeria and Nigerians and perhaps that might have informed the disappointment of many people that thought there will be crisis in the National Assembly.
“Let me also say that disagreements are usual; in fact, they are very practical components of any parliament; so, it is traditional and usual for us to disagree; for now our focus is on national interest.
“The National Assembly is a Nigerian parliament; therefore, the best thing to do is to ensure that Nigeria gets a very good deal and for now the good deal is to ensure that outstanding requests by Mr President are approved by the National Assembly.
“I think the national interest for now overrides all other interests,’’ he said.
The senate leader said that upon resumption from recess on Oct. 9, the lawmakers concentrated on the request of the President for the funding of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the conduct of 2019 general elections.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Lawan said that the president’s request of N189 billion for INEC activities of 2019 was approved.
He said that the committee on appropriation also invited the heads of security agencies to come and defend the request the President made on their behalf for funding of their operations during the conduct of elections of 2019.
“We also had the referral of the request of Mr president for approval for the foreign loan component of the 2018 appropriation; that is about 2.78 billion dollars Euro bond.
“So, we have gone full blast consciously and purposefully to ensure that Mr President gets what he requested. We have lost time already.
“Some of the issues were requested before we went on recess; we passed the confirmations of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Deputy Governor and the ICPC Governing Board yesterday.
“We are determined to continue to do this throughout this period.
“Our intention is to ensure that Mr President does not lack due to the inactivity of the National Assembly.
“That whatever he requests, the fundamental aspects especially must be attended to; this is our determination both as APC Senate caucus and as a National Assembly,’’ he said.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that Lawan assured the All Progressives Congress (APC) that the senators of the party will do everything within their powers to ensure the impeachment of Senate President Bukola Saraki.
Lawan said when the National Assembly is reopened for session, he and others in APC will ensure that Saraki is replaced and the INEC budget along with that of security agencies is passed.
He made the statement at the APC national convention held over the weekend.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Notorious Robbers Busted After Successful Operation (Photos)
- PHOTOS: 102-Year-Old Woman Becomes Oldest Skydiver, Flies Down From The Sky On Birthday
- Exposed: Agency Headed By Buhari's In-law Violating Nigeria's Procurement Law
- Emotional Moment Oby Ezekwesili 'Bursts Into Tears' (Photos)
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Goes Missing (Photos)
- I'm Not Desperate For Power - Buhari Speaks On Electoral Bill
- Popular Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises In Calabar
- Rivers APC Saga: Court Asked To Order INEC To Remove APC Candidates' Names
- EFCC Chairman: I'm Glad Senate Didn't Confirm Me, says Magu
- Protest in Lagos as F-SARS Officer kills truck driver over bribe
- Suspected Ritualists Abduct 13-day-old Baby While Mother Was Sleeping
- We Won't Go On Strike - PENGASSAN, NUPENG
- Woman Arrested For Pouring Hot Water On Pregnant Lady
- How Buhari's Veto On Electoral Bill Is Dividing Senators
- Touching Story Of Lady Shot Dead While Trying To Save Her Father From Assassins
- See Deteriorating State Of A Nigerian Magistrate Court (Photos)
- So Sad! Female Corper Reportedly Dies From Health Issues
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Young Lawyers Set To Wed Melt Hearts With Pre-wedding Pics
- Saraki attends launch of Trump’s Africa Strategy in US
- Flying Eagles turn back Ghana, reach WAFU Cup semi finals
- Who owns Nigeria football? The investor or the promoter? —Wale Ajayi
- Barewa to face Cowrie at Rugby President Cup final
- Arowolo quits 3SC for politics
- NRA ultimate goal is for Nigeria Referees to officiate at World Cup–Azeez
- Uche Okagbue becomes head coach of FC Ifeanyi Ubah
- Buhari wants teachers’ retirement age raised
- Brilliant Female Graduates Break 21-Year Record At Obafemi Awolowo University
- Donald Duke's Running Mate, Junaid Mohammed Quits
- Mother & 15yrs Old Daughter Sleeping With Ex-Commissioner... he has been arrested over the girl's pregnancies, abortions
- Dunamis Church Donates Relief Materials To IDPs
- PDP alleges plans by FG to cripple PDP-controlled states
- Senate Confirms Keyamo, other nominees for NDIC Board
- Environment Minister, Ibrahim Jubril Resigns
- Kogi legislator loses seat for defecting to PDP
- Ambode is my Politician of the Year – Shettima
- More troubles for Trump as court jails associate for fraud
- NB Plc to apologise over misleading information on product
- Husband, Wife, Mother-in-law Arraigned For Stealing N2.4m
- Ex-SGF Babachir In Aso Rock, 13 Months After Sack