By Ola Ajayi
IBADAN — WHEN a yet-to-be-identified person invited a 23-year old man, Mr Muhammed Fatiu Olaimo, to Ibadan about two weeks ago, he never knew that it was a call that would send him to his early grave.
Perhaps, if he had been warned like Artemidorus advised Julius Caesar in one of Shakespeare’s books, against going to Capitol, he would have been alive today, hale and hearty.
Fatiu, who was full of life, three days earlier, was cold, naked, bloated and lifeless with strings tied to his two upper arms when his remains were found.
His death still remained a mystery until the Oyo State police command unravelled it.
The deceased was said to have been invited to Ibadan from his residence at Agege in Lagos by an Islamic cleric only to disappear a day after his arrival.
However, after three days, three Islamic clerics including the man, who invited Fatiu were said to have reported at Ojoo police station, Ibadan that they had found his corpse at a river bank at Apete in Ido Local Council of Oyo State.
Two of the suspects identified as Alfa Abdulahi Samori and Alhaji Shuaibu Haliq Shaqofi are now in police custody over the sudden death of the man.
Sensing foul play, the police arrested and detained the three men when they couldn’t convince the police who posed some questions to them.
Speaking on the death of his son, Alhaji AbdulFatai Olaimo said, “it was on Saturday that one investigating police officer called me that three men just reported at the station that they had discovered the corpse or my son at a river bank.”
The father of the deceased said the police said the suspects claimed they did not know the parent of the dead man.
The President of Soludero Hunters Association of Nigeria, Oba Nureni Ajijola Idris Anabi, said he suspected that the suspects should know what led to the death of the man.
According to him, so many people have been kidnapped in similar manner and used for rituals.
Oba Ajijola Anabi said one of the detained suspects, allegedly told the police to release him that he had to use some concoction to bathe at midnight.
While calling on the Inspector General of Police, and the Commissioner of Police to help unravel the mystery surrounding the death of the innocent man, Oba Ajibola said: “The claim of the three men arrested and detained by the police is suspicious. They claimed the corpse was pulled out of the river. But, if you look at the deceased body, their claims are contradicted.”
“The body looked as if they just dumped him into the river and pulled him out. See the body they claimed had been in the river for three days. If you observe the face well, it appears they used a club to hit him in the face several times. He is still bleeding from the nose and eyes. They lured him from Lagos to Ibadan so that they could kill him. The suspects should be made to talk, they will certainly speak.”
A brother of the deceased, Mr Bolaji Yusuf who described the dead man as a gentle man said, when his father was packing to a new house he just built, he left his son, Fatiu to live in the rented apartment. But, Fatiu later invited his friend, Abdullahi, who then introduced him to Somori, one of the suspects.
He urged the police to do a thorough job that will expose those who killed Fatiu.
Contacted, the State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Adekunle Ajisebutu, said he would get back as soon as possible. However, a police source said the deceased was having spiritual bath when he fell into the river.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- FG proposes N8.6trn for 2019, plans tighter fiscal plan
- Nollywood actor, Lawyer task Federal government on qualitative education
- Ekiti: Fayose tackles Fayemi, DMO over debt profile
- Volunteer Medical Corps ready for 2018 conference
- 95% of workers in mega firms think their cybersecurity culture is poor — report
- FG mandates NCC to ensure even distribution of broadband in Nigeria
- Nigeria to cut down on borrowing spree
- Suspended coach back for NFF/CBN competition
- Girl Who Was R*ped By Lecturer & His Son Has Died (Photos)
- Tinubu Buys Part Of Intels Shares From Atiku?
- See Bishop Oyedepo's Mandate Estate (Photos)
- Did You Know? Eating Too Much Fruits Causes Diabetes
- Governor Ganduje In Trouble As Kano Assembly Begins Action
- First Photos of Ooni Of Ife With His Beautiful Bride in His Palace
- Fayose's Lawyer Reveals What He's Doing To Get Him Out
- Buhari Hosts Kannywood Actors In Aso Rock (Photos)
- PHOTOS: Nnamdi Kanu Spotted In Jerusalem
- APC Defies INEC, Submits Candidates For Zamfara
- Dangerous drug for diabetes, cancer in circulation, says NIA
- Oni of Ife sets for another marriage
- 2019: PDP agenda for Saraki forwarded to INEC
- Presidential race 2019: Re-structuring a condition for supporting any candidate – Aare Ganiyu Adams
- Lagos Assembly scraps Visionscape
- Etebo seals image rights deal with Myron Topclass Sport Outfits
- Police arrest fake lawyer for false information
- NFF President,Governor Bako Lalong to receive football awards in South Africa
- PDP Members Protest Over Osun Election Tribunal
- Fraud: NHIS boss reinstated by Buhari suspended indefinitely
- Sacked Policeman & His Gang Arrested Over Woman’s Murder
- Nigerian Students Made Generator Running On Water (Photos)
- Brilliant Student Going Home After Final Exams Dies In Crash
- Ooni Of Ife Unveils His New Beautiful Queen (Photos)
- Polaris Bank battles for survival
- Zenith Bank gross earnings drop
- LCCI lauds Dangote over oil refinery project, others
- Did EFCC Chairman Say Nothing Will Happen If Fayose Die?
- NYSC Member Dies Just A Day Before Passing Out
- Ambode Challenged By Lagos Assembly, As House Orders PSP To Resume Work
- Popular notorious cultist Small Jpron killed in Lagos over Cash from Top Politician
- Buhari's Plan To Win In 2019... How Atiku Will Defeat Him