The VC’s position was made known yesterday, in a keynote speech delivered on her behalf in Owerri by the institution’s Deputy Vice Chancellor, Administration, Professor Bertram E. B. Nwoke, to flag off a two-day workshop on “Gender and Economic Empowerment for Women in Nigeria”.
“It is most regrettable that a good chunk of the damnable, outdated and unconscionable widowhood practices observed in several Nigerian societies are perpetrated by women against their fellow women”, the VC said.
While wondering why women should take delight in visiting severe hardship on one of their own in grief, Obasi cautioned that the 35 per cent affirmative action for women, may remain a mirage if women fail to come together and pursue a common cause.
“It must be said and clearly too, that the famed 35 per cent affirmative action for women will remain a mirage if women can’t come together and pursue their common cause. They should not expect anybody or group, to do this for them”, Obasi said.
After giving a rundown of the litany of woes facing women worldwide, the VC pleaded with the men not to see or treat women like articles of trade.
“In most Nigerian communities, women are sadly reduced to mere articles of trade. They are to be seen and not heard, but these archaic custom and tradition should be jettisoned in this day and age”, Professor Obasi pleaded.
Welcoming the participants earlier, the Head of Department of Mass Communication, Imo State University, Owerri, Dr. Nkem Fab-Ukozor, appealed to the government, mass media and civil society organisations in Nigeria, to join the global struggle for gender equity.
“The new blueprint for global development, Agenda 2030, adopted at the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit in 2015, sets ambitious target in it’s 17 goals, one of which is dedicated to achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls”, Dr. Fab-Ukozor said.
She was not very happy that the news media seems to be passive in the global struggle for gender equity, even as she pointed out that “this is not only a prerequisite for sustainable development, but also a critical achievement for sustainability”.
While recalling the findings of a survey carried out in Nigeria by a non-gevernmental organization, Media and Gender Enlightenment Initiative, MEGEIN, the university don said: “Results of the project have revealed abysmal under representation and relative silencing of women’s voices, as well as systemic sexualization and objectification of women in news media.”
It was her considered view that women’s poor presence and participation in the news, was not unrelated to their lack of knowledge and involvement in public issues and discourses.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- FG re-arraigns Senator, 4 others for exam malpractice
- FG’s debt to states: You’re wrong, Buhari tells lawmakers
- Sunshine Stars holds workshop for players, officials
- Engaged or Married: What’s Simi, Adekunle Gold’s situation?
- UCL 16: Thank God we are playing Madrid – Ajax players
- Former Defence Chief, Alex Badeh, dies in Abuja
- Ogun 2019: Appeal Court sacks Kashamu as PDP candidate
- Diamond Bank shares appreciate after acquisition
- These agencies yet to remit N2.78 trillion to federation account
- Nigerian youths will not take to crime if…- ACP Disu
- Pretty Lady Lured To Hotel By These Men... they r*ped, killed her (Graphic Photos)
- Federal University Demotes 7 Professors To Lecturer Grade
- Ex-Defence Chief Badeh killed
- Top official of FG property committee jailed
- Tunde Ayeni, others to know fate in February
- SGF Boss Mustapha Meets APC Reps Over Buhari's Govt.
- Woman Cries Out, Accuses Lagos Police of Collecting N350k to Cover Up Teenager’s Death Probe
- Shock as Ex-Chef of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh is Murdered on way to Abuja (Graphic Pics)
- Pretty Lawyer Set To Wed Medical Doctor... pre-wedding pics
- Saraki In Trouble? Presidency Allegedly Plotting To Remove Him
- Yahoo Boys On The Run As EFCC Declares War On Them
- Panic In Abule-Egba Lagos As Vandals Cause Explosion
- PDP Ogun Gov.: Court Judgement Divides Kashamu, Adebutu
- Woman, Two Other Islamic Clerics Caught With Human Parts
- I Feel Comfortable With Sanwo-Olu Than Ambode; says Hamzat
- Is Ekweremadu Really Banned From Travelling?
- Jimi Agbaje Slams Tinubu: "Pharaoh, Let My People Go"
- Detained Deji Adeyanju Speaks From Police Custody
- People In Maiduguri Protest For Getting 24hrs Power & High Bill
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Abuja 2018 NSF: FG presents Sports Tourism award to Gov. Ambode
- Marketing genius, Bukola Olopade falls in love again with NWFL after divorcing NNL
- Flying Eagles emerge runners-up of WAFU U20 tourney
- I turned down £40m fight with Wilder – AJ
- CR7 wanted Juventus move in January?
- Besiktas confirm Pepe departure
- Glitz as Army pulls out 5 generals from service
- 2019: Why Fulani herders association not keen on Buhari, Atiku
- Faces Of Rich 'Yahoo Boys' Busted In Abuja (Photos)
- DSS & Army In Gun Battle With Armed Militia From Mali (Photos)