President Muhammadu Buhari, former Vice President Abubakar Atiku, Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka and President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Chief Nnia Nwodo are among dignitaries expected to participate at a special pan-Nigerian conference designed to move the national conversation on political restructuring forward in the run-up to the 2019 elections.
A key purpose of the summit is to extract a formal pledge of commitment to restructuring, a priority of the southern and middle belt zones, from the major parties and presidential candidates.
The conference which is the brain child of a top Igbo think tank group, Nzuko Umunna in association with a group of pan-Nigerian leaders, The Core Federalists, is scheduled to take place on Monday, November 19, 2018 at the Shell Hall, MUSON Centre, Lagos, with the theme: “Nigeria Beyond Oil”
According to Mr. Ngozi Odumuko, Coordinator of Nzuko Umunna, Handshake Across Nigeria is an expansion of the January 11, 2018 Handshake Across the Niger summit organized to end the suspicion and unhealthy rivalry between the Igbo and their Yoruba counterparts. Mr Odumuko further states that the key priorities of the event are:
1. To bring together the various thought leaders of the component regions to articulate progressive ideas that could foster national integration and development especially as we approach the 2019 elections
2. To avail an opportunity for thought leaders and socio-cultural organisations to constructively interrogate the presidential candidates of selected political parties on their plans, programmes and policies before the elections.
Prof Wole Soyinka is billed to deliver the keynote address while President Buhari, Atiku Abubakar and Chief Nnia Nwodo will speak on various aspects of the theme.
Two former ministers of external affairs, Major-General Ike Nwachukwu (rtd) and Professor Ibrahim Gambari will chair the occasion.
Other dignitaries expected at the event are Senate President Bukola Saraki, Speaker House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu, Leader of foremost Yoruba group, Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo and Leader of the Niger Delta, Chief Edwin Clark
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- FG proposes N8.6trn for 2019, plans tighter fiscal plan
- Nollywood actor, Lawyer task Federal government on qualitative education
- Ekiti: Fayose tackles Fayemi, DMO over debt profile
- Volunteer Medical Corps ready for 2018 conference
- 95% of workers in mega firms think their cybersecurity culture is poor — report
- FG mandates NCC to ensure even distribution of broadband in Nigeria
- Nigeria to cut down on borrowing spree
- Suspended coach back for NFF/CBN competition
- Girl Who Was R*ped By Lecturer & His Son Has Died (Photos)
- Tinubu Buys Part Of Intels Shares From Atiku?
- See Bishop Oyedepo's Mandate Estate (Photos)
- Did You Know? Eating Too Much Fruits Causes Diabetes
- Governor Ganduje In Trouble As Kano Assembly Begins Action
- First Photos of Ooni Of Ife With His Beautiful Bride in His Palace
- Fayose's Lawyer Reveals What He's Doing To Get Him Out
- Buhari Hosts Kannywood Actors In Aso Rock (Photos)
- PHOTOS: Nnamdi Kanu Spotted In Jerusalem
- APC Defies INEC, Submits Candidates For Zamfara
- Dangerous drug for diabetes, cancer in circulation, says NIA
- Oni of Ife sets for another marriage
- 2019: PDP agenda for Saraki forwarded to INEC
- Presidential race 2019: Re-structuring a condition for supporting any candidate – Aare Ganiyu Adams
- Lagos Assembly scraps Visionscape
- Etebo seals image rights deal with Myron Topclass Sport Outfits
- Police arrest fake lawyer for false information
- NFF President,Governor Bako Lalong to receive football awards in South Africa
- PDP Members Protest Over Osun Election Tribunal
- Fraud: NHIS boss reinstated by Buhari suspended indefinitely
- Sacked Policeman & His Gang Arrested Over Woman’s Murder
- Nigerian Students Made Generator Running On Water (Photos)
- Brilliant Student Going Home After Final Exams Dies In Crash
- Ooni Of Ife Unveils His New Beautiful Queen (Photos)
- Polaris Bank battles for survival
- Zenith Bank gross earnings drop
- LCCI lauds Dangote over oil refinery project, others
- Did EFCC Chairman Say Nothing Will Happen If Fayose Die?
- NYSC Member Dies Just A Day Before Passing Out
- Ambode Challenged By Lagos Assembly, As House Orders PSP To Resume Work
- Popular notorious cultist Small Jpron killed in Lagos over Cash from Top Politician
- Buhari's Plan To Win In 2019... How Atiku Will Defeat Him