Osinbajo, who stated this while declaring open the National Energy and Climate Change summit at the Old Banquet Hall, Presidential Villa, in Abuja, yesterday, said government was doing a lot to attract domestic and foreign-direct investments into the energy sector.
He added that the nation’s energy and energy-related policies were not only geared towards energy supply security but to also mitigate global warming.
While commending the Energy Commission of Nigeria, ECN, and the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, FMST, for organising the summit, Prof. Osinbajo, who was represented by Minister of Science and Technology, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu, said government had increased transparency and openness in governance to support private investment.
He said: “This important event will provide a high-level forum to discuss energy and climate change as they relate to economic development and environmental protection.
“I am happy that this summit is taking place at a time the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, FMST, is working hard to help move our economy away from being resource-based to an economy that is knowledge-based and innovation-driven.
“I am hopeful that at the end of your deliberations, you will be able to provide solutions towards improving sustainable energy supply and access in the country.
‘’I am happy that the International Energy Charter, IECh, a reputable inter-governmental energy organisation that has the main objective of promoting multi-lateral framework for cross-border cooperation in the field of energy development is here with us.”
In his address, Director-General/Chief Executive Officer of Energy Commission of Nigeria, ECN, Prof. Eli Jidere Bala, said in line with its mandate, ECN instituted the summit to serve as a forum where national issues on energy in all its ramifications were discussed, with a view to facilitating the monitoring and assessment of performance of the energy sector in the execution of government policies on energy.
In his special remarks, European Union head of Cooperation to Nigeria and ECOWAS, Kurt Cornelis, said the EU had so far committed 150 euros to support Nigeria through several projects cutting across the electricity value chain of the Nigeria electricity sector as well as the off-grid sector.
He said: “Just to mention a few, the EU from this envelope, is co-financing phase 2 of NESP with 20 million euros as well as a support to TCN with 25 miliion euros grant to construct the Kura-Jogana-Gwiwa-Daura-Katsina double circuit 330KVA transmission line and substations which will also help evacuate the 1000MW Jigawa solar city project.”
He also stated that the focus of the EU was to increase support to Nigeria’s Climate Change initiatives by working hand in hand with the Federal Ministry of Environment on a new change action to start next year and continue to sensitise and raise awareness at the highest levels about the need take concrete measures to fight climate change.
He commended the Federal Government for having the political will to promote the use of renewable energy technology in the overall energy mix of the country and promised the continued support of the EU and ECOWAS to the country in ensuring that those without energy access got connected in the shortest possible time.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation
- Okorocha's Suspension By APC: Angry Reactions
- Buhari Govt Goes After Atiku, To Now Quiz Him For Corruption... Atiku calls it "Cock & Bull" Story
- Lagos Businessman Accused Of R*pe Cries Out, Commits Suicide
- CJN Onnoghen To Be Arrested? FG Asks Court To Sack Him
- Oshiomhole, El-Rufai Attack Atiku Over Trip To America
- Amaechi Replies Wike For Saying He Plotted CJN's Removal