By Daud Olatunji
ABEOKUTA— THE Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Ogunwusi said yesterday that Nigeria will remain stagnant due to continuous selfish ambitions of politicians.
Oba Ogunwusi said this at a workshop organized by the Yoruba Unity Forum themed: ‘The state of the nation: Yoruba, where are we?”, held at the residence of the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo in Ikenne, Ogun State.
Lamenting that politicians have failed the people, he expressed worry over the current situation of politics and its implications on the citizens.
His words: “The political situation in this country is nothing to write home about, they think of themselves and their children but they forget about the people and the country, the disunity we are facing now is because they have failed to love one another.
“During the era of Obafemi Awolowo, there was no disunity in the country, the situation of Nigerian politics then is nothing but one in a kind, if Obafemi Awolowo has not done the expected, a person like me and other royal fathers, will not be here today, but his good deeds during his life time cannot be undermined.
“Disunity and selfish interest had not been the foundation of this country, but this era, the political leaders are not honest to themselves nor the people, they don’t love one and other, there is no unity among them, the political leaders are not thinking about the future of the next generation, rather they think about themselves and their children.
“Yoruba land is known for unity and togetherness and that is why we are called Omoluabi and we were on the lead unlike the current situation which has paralyzed the country.”
The Alafin of Oyo, who was represented by the Bashorun of Oyo, Yusuf Olayinka said: “Politics in Nigeria has not changed, none of them think of the people rather they paralyse the country.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- FG re-arraigns Senator, 4 others for exam malpractice
- FG’s debt to states: You’re wrong, Buhari tells lawmakers
- Sunshine Stars holds workshop for players, officials
- Engaged or Married: What’s Simi, Adekunle Gold’s situation?
- UCL 16: Thank God we are playing Madrid – Ajax players
- Former Defence Chief, Alex Badeh, dies in Abuja
- Ogun 2019: Appeal Court sacks Kashamu as PDP candidate
- Diamond Bank shares appreciate after acquisition
- These agencies yet to remit N2.78 trillion to federation account
- Nigerian youths will not take to crime if…- ACP Disu
- Pretty Lady Lured To Hotel By These Men... they r*ped, killed her (Graphic Photos)
- Federal University Demotes 7 Professors To Lecturer Grade
- Ex-Defence Chief Badeh killed
- Top official of FG property committee jailed
- Tunde Ayeni, others to know fate in February
- SGF Boss Mustapha Meets APC Reps Over Buhari's Govt.
- Woman Cries Out, Accuses Lagos Police of Collecting N350k to Cover Up Teenager’s Death Probe
- Shock as Ex-Chef of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh is Murdered on way to Abuja (Graphic Pics)
- Pretty Lawyer Set To Wed Medical Doctor... pre-wedding pics
- Saraki In Trouble? Presidency Allegedly Plotting To Remove Him
- Yahoo Boys On The Run As EFCC Declares War On Them
- Panic In Abule-Egba Lagos As Vandals Cause Explosion
- PDP Ogun Gov.: Court Judgement Divides Kashamu, Adebutu
- Woman, Two Other Islamic Clerics Caught With Human Parts
- I Feel Comfortable With Sanwo-Olu Than Ambode; says Hamzat
- Is Ekweremadu Really Banned From Travelling?
- Jimi Agbaje Slams Tinubu: "Pharaoh, Let My People Go"
- Detained Deji Adeyanju Speaks From Police Custody
- People In Maiduguri Protest For Getting 24hrs Power & High Bill
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Abuja 2018 NSF: FG presents Sports Tourism award to Gov. Ambode
- Marketing genius, Bukola Olopade falls in love again with NWFL after divorcing NNL
- Flying Eagles emerge runners-up of WAFU U20 tourney
- I turned down £40m fight with Wilder – AJ
- CR7 wanted Juventus move in January?
- Besiktas confirm Pepe departure
- Glitz as Army pulls out 5 generals from service
- 2019: Why Fulani herders association not keen on Buhari, Atiku
- Faces Of Rich 'Yahoo Boys' Busted In Abuja (Photos)
- DSS & Army In Gun Battle With Armed Militia From Mali (Photos)