Gov. Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State has called on agricultural research institutes and farmers in the state to embark on demand-driven projects, based on specific demands by their consumers.
Ajimobi, who was represented by his deputy, Chief Moses Adeyemo, noted that there was wide gap among farmers, consumers and processors, adding that such had hindered the desired agricultural development in the state.
The governor stressed that bridging the gap through demand driven agriculture would enhance the state agro allied industries.
“Effective collaboration among government, agricultural institutes, farmers, processors, agro allied industries, banks and other stakeholders in the agricultural value chain will enhance industrial development and provide food and employment for the populace.
“Such demand driven agriculture will also help address food insecurity, unemployment, retard in rural development and phase out obsolete technology,” he said.
Mr Oyewole Oyewunmi, Commissioner for Agriculture, Natural Resources and Rural Development, also emphasised the need for demand-driven agriculture to meet the needs of the growing population.
“Agriculture is now demand driven. The farmer must produce for a specific purpose which will come from the end user. It makes agriculture more scientific and based on innovation and research.
“It optimises productivity and expands the economy. We need sustained agricultural practice to meet the needs of the growing population,” Oyewumi said.
Various stakeholders at the summit advocated regular agriculture subsidies to engender mechanised and large scale farming.
Linda Amadi, Principal of Government Relations Coordinator, African Development Bank (AfDB), Mr Kenton Dashell, Deputy Director- General, IITA and Mrs Jackquelena Yawa of Diageo Company’ Mr Ebenezer Boluwatife attended the occasion among others.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nnamdi Kanu Called Me, He Agreed To Work To Defeat Buhari - Fani-Kayode
- Polio Victim Who Just Finished NYSC Shares Touching Story
- Wife Cries Out As Her Husband Got Married To Another Lady
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ooni's New Wife Leads Praise & Worship In His Palace (Photos)
- Why APC Sen. Shehu Sani defects
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League
- Court rejects Russian footballers’ appeal over attack
- Ghana withdraws from CAF competitions
- See How Buhari’s Poor Performance Is Elevating Atiku
- Ekweremadu May Dump PDP?
- Woman Cries Bitterly After Being Scammed By Yahoo Boy
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary