The Senator representing Zamfara central senatorial district and governorship aspirant, Kabiru Marafa, Thursday, aligned himself with the position of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, barring the state chapter of the All Progressive Congress, APC, from fielding both governorship and senatorial candidates for the 2019 general elections.
It would be recalled that the INEC boss, Yakubu Mahmood following the electoral timetable, as derived affirmed that the state APC had lost the opportunity to conduct primaries and produce candidates for the said elective positions in the state.
But the APC national chairman, Adams Oshiomohole disagreed with the electoral umpire, saying there were consensus candidates for the elections.
In a swift reaction in Abuja, Marafa refuted Oshiomhole’s claim and asserted that there was neither election nor consensus by the aspirants.
In his words, “I read the letter from INEC where they quoted some sections of the law that influenced their position. I also read the response made by the APC National Chairman. I want to believe the chairman was misled by the APC electoral committee that came to Zamfara.
“But as a stakeholder who was present and witnessed the whole process that happened, there was no election in Zamfara on the Saturday October 7, 2018. Also, there was no consensus from anybody or by anybody. So, the APC electoral committee reported in the contrary, I think that was absolutely wrong.
“I always stand by the side of the truth. I want to say the truth even if it is against me.
“I’m an APC member to the core and, I am still with the APC, notwithstanding that the chances are becoming bleak, may be for me as a politician. But I believe in the party. But if the party does anything wrong, I should have the courage to say this thing is wrong.
“If the party has any way within the law to fill any candidate, I will be happy.
“But when the issues are based on a wrong foundation and you force any consensus as being claimed when there was none, there is going to be a revolt that there was no consensus and, anybody has the right to go to court.
“By and large, the only thing I saw wrong in the letter is the assertion that there was a consensus.
And there was no consensus.
“We are gubernatorial aspirants but some people stepped down. For the remaining five aspirants, there was no consensus till the end of the exercise.
“The truth of the matter is that the APC electoral committee tried to achieve a consensus among the aspirants for the governorship and senatorial aspirants but the two factions of the party could not agree”.
When grilled if has the option to dump the APC for the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, as being reported by some dailies, he said, “if we cannot field any candidates for the reasons as stated, it means we cannot. Any attempt to do otherwise, I think will put the party in a more precarious situation which I think is avoidable.
“So, if we are not allowed to do it, we can look at other options. But there are those that don’t have any options. We can stay around for another four years and learn the other side of politics.
“Our constitution doesn’t say only one party should go for the general elections. If I am in APC, are you saying going into election on the platform of another political party means working against the APC? It is my constitutional right”.
The lawmaker, however, said the problem in the state was about gross negligence on the part of the state government in protecting lives and property of the citizens.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP in Ekiti condemns public hearing on the finances of local governments
- Saraki condemns use of security agents to disenfranchised voters
- FG files charges against permanent secretary, director over alleged land fraud
- Bad luck for APC as Kastina Rep member dumps party for PDP
- Kante: I don’t want attention on my personality
- Barca to equal Bayern’s UCL record with win against Spurs
- De Jong denies PSG’s contract agreement
- Abdidal to meet Dembele over disciplinary issues
- Cavani’s PSG future uncertain
- Klopp evolved at Liverpool says Carragher
- Lady Shows Her Family Living With HIV... what they take daily
- See What Teacher Did To A Student In Lagos Over Minor Offence
- After 33yrs Of Marriage Woman Gives Birth For The First Time ...she delivered triplets
- Properties Worth N1.8bn Forfeited To FG By Corrupt Ex-NDDC Director (Photos)
- Akwa Ibom APC records highest mass defection in years
- Corruption: EFCC drags NBA president to court
- 2019: Buhari Boasts to Defeat Atiku, Obj Roundly
- Oppression, hate speech are two different things — Oyedepo
- What Mavin wants for Bank Music as Reekado go solo
- How divorce made Asamoah Gyan a poor man
- Buhari desperate to retain power, says Ezekwesili
- 22 Arrested Yahoo Boys Have Been Jailed
- Why The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari We Voted For – Ex-APC Spokesperson, Abdullahi
- 52yrs Old Woman Celebrates Birthday In Style After Giving Birth For The First Time (Photos)
- Robbers Who Attacked Female Lecturer Finally Arrested
- Obasanjo's Support Won't Save Atiku From Defeat - Presidency
- Deadly Cult Clash In Lagos; Seven Killed, Many Injured
- Seriously? Senate pays Dariye N85.5m allowances in prison
- Shock As Kidnappers Tie Lecturer To Tree, Shot Him Dead Over Delay In Paying Ransom
- Buhari Regretting That Obasanjo Has Dumped Him, says PDP
- Assistant Pastor Defiles Church Member’s Twin Daughters In Lagos (Photo)
- Oby Ezekwesili threatens to lead protest over electoral bill
- Buhari: Why I Defeated Goodluck Jonathan In 2015
- "Politicians Now Insert Money Inside Sandwich To Buy Votes"
- See How Fraudsters Scammed Shop Owner While Buying N110,000 Phone In Abuja (Photos)
- Reasons Senate, Reps Should Override Buhari On Electoral Act; by Olisa Agbakoba
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- I’m dumping Enyimba for Katsina United —-Ezenwa
- Difficult match but we came out victorious– Alex Iwobi